In Praise Of Love (Éloge de l'amour) Reviews

• May 19, 2015

nothing but chit-chat & a serious of images that don't add up to anything kinda like the horrible 'book of life' what was new and fresh in the sixties as 'French new wave' is now just a tired cliché.

• Oct 09, 2014

There's already evidence here that Godard is just so full of himself to a point he loses his own way.

• Apr 14, 2013

A non-linear film with multiple plots about everything and nothing. Only as enigmatic and provocative as his weakest work; this also perhaps represents one of his least accessible films and also the work of a director frustratingly stuck in his own style.

• Jul 20, 2012

Another past MIFF highlight.

Another past MIFF highlight.

• May 13, 2012

Merci, mais non, merci!

Merci, mais non, merci!

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 09, 2012

I am just waiting for the cinephiles to jump all over me. A measly three stars for the return of the great Godard. The truth is that I wasn't terribly moved..and perhaps I wasn't meant to be. It's over my head.

• Nov 20, 2011

Another masterpiece by the great French director. One who is in his 80s and still riding high. Maybe the greatest living director, if not the greatest ever. I am in awe of his visual style and screenplays. How he uses color and light. You can't begin to understand the complexity of his films. Aside from the film's intellectual basis, his films have the ability to really captivate you and move you tremendously. I still think "Film Socialisme" is the better film, but this one is not far behind. One of the many great films by Jean-Luc.

• Jun 14, 2011

Apparently young rebels grow up to be cranky old men.

Apparently young rebels grow up to be cranky old men.

• Nov 22, 2010

This is a film about questions, questions about the meaning of love, about the presence of mature love in the world, and about the possibility of connection with another human being. The B&W photography in the film's first 2/3 is exquisite. The elliptical editing and the impressive conglomeration of filmic and philosophic quotations both serve to create a dense work. That said, the frayed formulation of issues and the silly Anti-American and Hollywoodisms throughout undermine the film as a whole.

Jonny B Super Reviewer
    Nov 17, 2010

Visually stunning but dull and pretentious. Godard has lost it.

Visually stunning but dull and pretentious. Godard has lost it.