Irish Jam Reviews

• Dec 26, 2019

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. Almost every thing about this movie is wrong. It has a funny comedian like Eddie Griffin as the lead, has a fun and goofy premise and manages to squander both. This movie as a whole fails to deliver a single laugh, a cardinal and unforgettable sin for a comedy. This movie strangely feels like more of a drama, but the protagonist and premise are just goofy enough you can't take it seriously. I suspect that this movie was written as a comedy, but the studio decided to rework it as a drama. Interestingly I can see the same failings with this movie that plagued the I'll fated "cavemen" TV show (the tv show based on geikos cavemen commercials. Both pieces of media had a premise based on ethnic stereotypes but were too scared to learn into that edgey and risque type of humor for fear of offending people and becoming controversial. As a result we were left with a boring uninteresting stupor that wastes the audiences time. Do yourself a favor and skip this movie. If your looking for a funny black culture meets white culture, "culture shock" movie try "how high" instead

• Jul 30, 2015

It's sucha different type of romantic comedy but I enjoyed it very much. Its not at all what you would expect it to be.

• Dec 24, 2011

Off beat, mildly entertaining, culture clash romantic comedy

Off beat, mildly entertaining, culture clash romantic comedy

• Jan 15, 2011

funny .. kinda ... worth the time ..

funny .. kinda ... worth the time ..

• Mar 31, 2010

Banalna historyjka z dobrym zakończeniem. Czarny koleś w małej irlandzkiej wiosce :)

• Dec 15, 2008

Kind of boring, but funny in some parts. It ends well too.

Kind of boring, but funny in some parts. It ends well too.

• Oct 29, 2008

An lightweight scammer from LA South Central winds up in a beleaguered Irish town that held a contest, and neither the young, black American nor the townspeople can believe their fate. Yet each is willing to give the other a chance, and this spirit of cooperation is kept alive by a lively and lovely Irish lass, played by Anna Friel. The premise is a stretch, a huge stretch, and despite a good cast and great performances, the unfolding story leaves you wishing the writer had tried harder to make it work. There are funny moments, and some good cross-cultural gags, but it isn't ever going to add up. It isn't that you couldn't have a story with these hugely dissimilar cultures mashed up into a hit, it's just that it would take better writing than this treatment got. Eddie Griffin has some real talent, but Friel's performance really shines.

• Oct 29, 2008

Better than I expected at the outset. Eddie Griffin keeps it relatively toned down, so the movie is movie feels more like an ensemble piece than an Eddie Griffin vehicle. Not terribly funny, but I cracked the odd smile.

• Sep 05, 2008

If opposites do attract, then "Irish Jam" makes that argument to a ridiculous degree. With Eddie Griffin as the star, this film appears to be something that would cause uproarious laughter but this actually turns out to be a fairly "heartwarming" tale. On the surface, this seems to be somewhat of a throwaway movie that was too far into the production phase but not worth releasing in theaters. In reality, "Irish Jam" makes something interesting and funny out of a seemingly impossible concept. It is somewhat of a redemption story coupled with a romantic comedy, all with an ending that even the most cynical movie viewer would be hard-pressed to not be swayed by. A fun movie with some of the most intriguing exteriors I've seen in a while.

• Aug 31, 2008

Scenery was pretty. A fish out of water that got the town to love him. Very touching when the mute girl started talking and wanted him to stay.