Jakob the Liar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jakob the Liar Reviews

½ March 9, 2018
I found it Interesting. I'm not sure if it was the intent, but it really pulled me in multiple emotional directions. Normally when I'm unsure of the message of a movie, i wouldn't like it, but for whatever reason, with this one, I do.
½ February 2, 2018
Got this in a two pack with "Moscow on the Hudson" Moscow was much better.
September 7, 2017
One of his best movies and as a german it's weird to watch to hear this germans talk even german
August 27, 2017
Really good movie and actors.
January 19, 2017
A decent film set in the Holocaust, but not a good role for Robin Williams. His phony voice was distracting and he was poorly miscast. On the other hand, Hannah Taylor-Gordon was perfect as Lina. It's a fairly well-made drama with a pretty good soundtrack as well. (First and only viewing - 11/6/2008)
½ April 13, 2016
Couldn't finish. Not enough pathos to carry the tentative humour.
Robin Williams may be too young for the part. Didn't realise movie was over 15 years old. Made on the heels of Life Is Beautiful.
Poignant scene in which Robin Williams talks a Jewish barber down from hanging himself.
November 4, 2015
This film is more insulting than Life is Beautiful was. Especially copying the same kind of formula with comedy during the Holocaust.
½ October 8, 2015
Despite the subject, there's a humorous element running throughout this film, possibly to side with the persona of Williams in the lead role. It does however create an uneasiness to what we're seeing. The underlying reason for the character to do this does give it relevance though.
September 25, 2015
This movie just didn't work for me. It had Williams doing what he usually does, but the script and pacing were just awful. Seemed to have potential, but never quite reaches it.
½ July 9, 2015
The Jakob lire

Has its funny moments.

I liked that Robin Williams was protecting a girl throughout the film and was able to keep his promise to protect her.

It was about the pros and cons to tell lies to keep a good moral. I liked the camera angles.

I liked one of the scenes where camera was rotating around Robin Williams and we saw quickly hints of the ghettos of the Jewish Holocaust.

I liked the film.

I thought this film shows a great idea in showing the positives in a negative situation with the darkest and gloomiest of times.

Coming in this was a much funnier film than I had expected.

I liked the scene where Robin Williams character tried to act and do radio sounds and impersonations of Winston Churchill for the girl.
January 27, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH
½ January 13, 2015
Excelente como un poco de esperanza hace que tu instinto de supervivencia reaparezca. Muy buena.
November 7, 2014
One of my favorite Robin Williams' movies. I think the critics write this drek to have something to sound important with. The acting was good, and Robin Williams did a great job.
½ October 16, 2014
one of williams best !
½ October 10, 2014
Jakob Heym (Robin Williams): Hunger for hope may be worse than hunger for food.

I love Robin Williams, always have, always will and I would watch any film this man was in. Admittedly though, this isn't his best film which is unfortunate because Robin Williams was one of those rare talents who could play comedic and dramatic role with equal zest, but this film highlighted neither of his acting skills. Although in this film, his role demanded both his comedic and dramatic skills, his performances were both so sterile, it just didn't sparkle. This film also had some really great character actors too: Alan Arkin (Mr. Frankfurter), Michael Jeter (Avron) and Bob Balaban (Kowalsky) who gave superb performances but were still so underutilized. Liev Schreiber (Mischa) was great enough and even as good as he was, his performance was still a little underrated. Overall, the film wasn't heavy especially being that the setting and the subject has to do with one of the darkest times in human history. The actors were good and each of their performances great enough but they were as brilliant as they could have been; the film could have been so much better, the potential was there, but it just went unrealized.
½ October 2, 2014
Review:
I really enjoyed this movie. The storyline was fresh and very well directed and all of the actors made the film seem real and intense. It was amazing how a little lie, spiralled completely out of control and changed many people's life's. It brought hope to many people at a time when no one had any happiness in there life's. When everyone demands to see this radio, that completely didn't exist, Robin Williams lies get out of hand, to the point were it ends up destroying life's and causes trouble with his friends and love ones. You can't help feeling sorry for the main character who started out with good intentions but he really couldn't forsee the problems that the lie would cause. Anyway, the mixed emotions throughout the movie was very well thought through and really entertaining. I know that I'm a bit late with seeing this film, but I'm glad that I added it to my rental list because it would have been a shame if it passed me by. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
This is yet another movie which shows Robin Williams in a different light. He used his comedic talent to bring a form of light to a terrible situation and the chemistry between all of the characters was brilliant. It seemed like all of the actors were long time friends which is why the film seemed so real. It might be the delicate subject matter, why the movie really bombed at the box office, or it might be the distribution which needed some more money behind it, but it is definitely under rated and it deserves a re-release after his sad passing.

Budget: $45million
Domestic Gross: $5million (Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into there intense drama/comedies lie that spirals completely out of control and ends up destroying life's. 7/10
September 17, 2014
While it may be slow and not walk as fine a balance as say 'Life is Beautiful', this psuedo Holocaust dark-dramedy can still be admired for trying. Certainly another strong dramatic turn from Williams is a major note.
September 12, 2014
Robin Williams' charisma wasn't enough to save a movie this time when he was overpowered by the haunting of the Holocaust's presence and disturbances, despite performing well next to both Alan Arkin and Liev Schreiber while the film trying to end with satisfactory when it's the opposite unfortunately. (B-)
August 31, 2014
Has a good heart, but it just doesn't work.
½ August 15, 2014
It begins with a stale Hitler joke and ends with a miraculous quick-save that demonstrates just how poorly the Holocaust is served by the life-affirming requirements of Hollywood features. Flat and forced, Jakob the Liar aspires to be a poignant parable about the power of hope but instead uses one of humanity's greatest tragedies for trite melodrama. Williams' dramatic range is extremely limited, and, on those occasions when he ventures outside of it, the results can be painful. Jakob the Liar is an example of this. Williams is seriously miscast, and his presence in the movie damages its credibility and effectiveness. Armin Muller-Stahl is the community's proud doctor; Bob Balaban is its comical barber; Liev Schreiber plays the dimwitted boxer who makes a good sidekick for Jakob. Despite Williams' presence, the irascible Alan Arkin is the funniest man in the movie. The audience is ready for an unhappy ending -- and Hollywood should have the courage to provide it. The supposedly funny quips and shrugs that fill Jakob the Liar are tepid at best and embarrassingly shticky at worst. Some are simply in bad taste. As earnest as the performances are, something seems to be lost in the translation.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)