John Paul Jones Reviews

• Aug 14, 2019

John Paul Jones (1959 Film) The film bothered me. It jumps over action scenes. It goes from exposition scenes that are way longer than the action scenes that are left to quick montages. I felt like the best part of this film was the beginning of the film providing a brief history of John Paul Jones from John Paul Jones from childhood to adulthood leading to the American Revolution. That was the one thing that was passed well but then it drastically slows down afterwords. One of my biggest disappointments in this film is that John Paul Jones does not have a Scottish ascent at all in this film. I felt like that took me out a little since we already established at the beginning of the film that he was from Scotland. I also can not believe that they filmed this mostly in Spain rather than shoot in England, France, United States or Scotland. The film does not even take place in Spain. But they went there because it was cheaper for production cost. I hated having George Washington’s back to us rather than show his face. I found that a bit insulting. I was hoping for some Errol Flynn action boat scenes but instead we get more exposition scenes, dinner scenes, ball dancing scenes leading to romantic scenes. I felt like this film could have cut some of the ball room and exposition scenes shorter and this film is lacking on action. It is made more for education purposes but lacks much information. The film is too long. The sets look to clean and crisp when it comes to the ships. I did not believe it because they looks so new. The exterior of the ships looks nice in this film. I think this film does provide how much the Continental Congress tried taking about the ship away from him because other people were considered more qualified than he on the list to command despite being able to collect supplies successfully for the Colonial army through confiscating supplies from land in the Caribbean or gaining supplies from the French. No C

• Aug 09, 2017

John Paul Jones is an incredible film. It is about the career of Revolutionary War naval hero, John Paul Jones, from his youth in Scotland through his service to Catherine the Great of Russia. Robert Stack and Marisa Pavin give fantastic performances. The screenplay is good but a little in places. John Farrow did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and drama. John Paul Jones is a must see.

• Jul 04, 2016

An epic story that could have been told better.

An epic story that could have been told better.

• Jul 03, 2012

good bio-pic costumer

good bio-pic costumer

• Jul 03, 2011

• Jul 03, 2011

• Aug 17, 2010

A busy ball of paradoxes: rollicking yet theatrically staid; colorful yet dry (literally and figuratively); timeless yet indebted to history... though not always successfully.