Johnny Handsome Reviews

• Dec 10, 2018

Walter Hill, the director has brought us 48 Hours, Another 48 Hours and The Warriors. Now he brings us Johnny Handsome, which stars Mickey Rourke as John Sedley A.K.A Johnny Handsome. Now looking at it's poster I would have thought it was about a man who disguises himself as a charming handsome guy, but would bat an eye lid if you cross him. But that isn't the case at all. Johnny Sedley grew up as a crack baby. His mother was a heroine addict during her pregnancy with Johnny. And the side effects from the drugs has made him into a disfigured man that can only rely on his family's love for the way he looks, but from the looks of it, it looks like he doesn't have much family to confide in, as we see in the opening scene, he's probably an outcast to most of his friends and family. His close friend, Mike (Scott Wilson) are planning to rob a jewellery store with Donna (Elizabeth McGovern) and Rafe (Lance Henriksen). Let's just say Johnny isn't their favourite person, due to his appearance but they need him and that's what the movie is trying to tell us that the people who drag and put you down, will need you for what's important to them and Johnny knows that, but as we the audience he's afraid to stand up for himself.

• Feb 19, 2017

Deformed small-time criminal gets a new face from plastic surgery while in prison and sets his sights on those who double-crossed him to send him to jail. Very good cast. Did not know this was a Walter Hill film, his output is always worthwhile.

• Nov 12, 2016

Bunch of extraordinarily good actors in a small film exploiting Mickey Rourke's charisma. Forgettable movie, though it's nice to observe all these actors in one movie.

• Clintus M Super Reviewer
    Jan 04, 2016

I somehow missed this Walter hill-directed earlier-career Mickey Rourke film back in its day, and that's too bad because it's got plenty of great qualities. The noir-ish story is excellent, from the director of 48hrs and The Warriors; if you liked those, this will appeal to you also. Rourke's acting chops are great here, superior in performance to Angel Heart, though maybe not on par with The Wrestler. The grimy New Orleans setting is perfect, although I could have done without the phony Louisiana accents. The supporting characters are also memorable. Morgan Freeman and Forrest Whittaker are convincing in telling the story of the doomed, ill-fated Johnny. Ellen Barkin is magnificent as well. It's a great evil role, and she's the toughest, sexiest broad from this era. It's easy to see why she was cast as the cougar in Ocean's 13. With such star power, this modern noir should have amassed longer-lasting popularity. The oddest irony regarding this film now is Rourke's facial disfigurement. In the film, he transform from disfigured to "handsome," but in reality, shortly after this film, his boxing career and subsequent surgeries render him unrecognizable as the 80s matinee idol.

• Dec 17, 2015

Interesting film noir. Interesting to see a deformed man's struggle to make ends meet, and whether a change of face and name could help him turn everything around. Mickey Rourke is great in the role.

• Apr 18, 2015

This is a c'mon premise that actually works.....but then again it is Walter Hill and he tends to know what he's doing.

• Nov 20, 2014

• May 23, 2014

Pas terrible malgré le casting.

Pas terrible malgré le casting.

• Dec 16, 2012

Really a ridiculous premise and over complicated. One of those so bad it's good films.

• Oct 21, 2012

Not really what I was expecting, which in and of itself is not bad, but in this case, I think the movie kind of fell flat for the first hour or so when all you had was Rourke vying for the oscar with gross makeup and a slurring voice...