Johnny O'Clock Reviews

• Jun 18, 2019

Dick Powell plays it cool, the story is dark and the film looks sharp. Powell as Johnny gets in some good face slaps, which is mandatory in a crime noir film. The uncertain gritty ending made it all the more endearing in my reckoning.

• May 07, 2015

A corny semi-gangster movie of a noncommittal unlikable "lady's man" Dick Powell as Johnny O clock. Dick Powell isn't the right for this part. A Humphrey Bogart or a James Cagney would have made this a better and more memorial movie. Ps: this movie is the bases for the movie "Johnny dangerously" a comedy in the early 80's with Michael Keaton.

• May 04, 2015

Do you mind if I laugh in your face? In an underground gambling casino led by gangsters a woman mysteriously dies leading to her sister coming to the casino and poking around. She falls in love with Johnny O'Clock, the gang leader's muscle. Johnny makes plans to settle down with the girl but he may find getting out of the gang harder than he anticipated. "Come here." "I've been there." Robert Rosen, director of All the Kings Men, The Hustler, The Roaring Twenties, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, and Island in the Sun, delivers Johnny O'Clock. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward but contains interesting characters and an old school murder mystery plot. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Lee Cobb, Dick Powell, Evelyn Keyes, Ellen Drew, and Nina Foch. "If you get in my way, I'll kill you." "You took the words right out of my mouth." I came across this movie on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and thought the plot sounded interesting and decided to DVR this old school picture. The movie was okay and worth following but wasn't an all time great or contained enough unique elements to truly standout in the genre. Overall, this is worth a viewing if nothing else is on. "All you ever think about is yourself." "You and me both." Grade: C+/B-

• Feb 21, 2014

The main problem with Johnny O'clock is we the audience never can really get to care about the character. Additionally, the dialogue is flat and it feels like we have seen and heard it all before.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jan 19, 2014

Decent noir with a fine cast but Powell seems disengaged in the lead. He doesn't ruin the picture but it would have been a stronger film with Mitchum or Kirk Douglas in the lead.

• May 20, 2013

Johnny O'Clock (1647) Here's another great, hard-boiled Dick Powell movie with a fine script. He's in good form as gambler, Johnny O'Clock (is that supposed to be an Irish name?). Johnny is partners in a casino with Guido Marchettis (Thomas Gomez) who's beautiful Wife, Nelle (Ellen Drew), still holds a torch for Johnny. The feeling isn't mutual with Johnny, who feels that was over a long time ago. Guido is also being squeezed by "bad cop" Chuck Blayden (Jim Bannon) who is also using & abusing the naive hat check girl, Harriet Hobbs (Nina Foch), who Johnny is trying to protect. Things really go south when Inspector Koch (Lee J. Cobb) finds poor Harriet dead in her apartment of an apparent suicide, but Koch is wise to that. Nina's beautiful Sister, Nancy (Evelyn Keyes) comes into town to pick up her sister's things and find out what really happened, and the sparks fly between her and Johnny. This movie has a nice cameo with Jeff Chandler who plays a visiting gambler named Turk.

• Oct 06, 2012

Okay noir tale of tough guy Dick Powell caught up in murder. I have never bought Powell as a tough guy in any film, even in the excellent "Murder, My Sweet", but the rest of the cast is solid and the film is stylish directed by Robert Rossen, in his film debut, which makes the film more entertaining than the average script deserves.

• Sep 21, 2012

kinda 'murder my sweet' part two

kinda 'murder my sweet' part two

• Dec 18, 2004

Mood: Sick and not loving it... I woke up this morning at 12:30 a.m. with the worst sore throat I've ever had. I'd been fighting off some bastard, mutant virus for about 5-6 days but it got me. The pain was excrutiating and I was really concerned because the pain was spreading to my inner ears and I could barely swallow; so I spent the next 4 1/2 hours doing things that would kick the virus in the butt: Yogurt, juice, Vit C, tea, water, salt water. While nursing myself, I decided to watch some TV and happened upon "Johnny O'Clock" - a film from 1947 I'd never seen before. It stars one of my favs, Dick Powell and the Time Warner Guide rated it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. Rightly so! A beautiful drama/murder mystery in glorious black and white - what a treaure - how had I missed this one in all my years of TV watching? Cast & Crew: Dick Powell, Evelyn Keyes, Lee J. Cobb, Ellen Drew, Nina Foch directed by Robert Rossen Genre: Dramas, Crime/Conspiracy, Film Noir Besides being sick as a dog yesterday I also discovered another spider bite, this time on my left temple; and, we've had a cricket invasion - man, those insects are loud! I hope Hubby does something about the eco-friendliness of our house soon. It was good to talk with my cousin this morning - I miss her alot, but don't know when I'll see her next. I'm still hoping to go to Hawaii with her in September if all goes well. Love and peace. Mik