Jolson Sings Again Reviews

• Mar 02, 2018

Didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one, but, still worth watching and looking into the life of a legend on the down side of his career

• Dec 05, 2016

Larry Parks is brilliant as Jolson. If you love the songs you will love this and The Jolson Story. Yes compared to todays films it is sentimentalised but Larry Parks performance is so stunning and charismatic it makes the film very watchable.

• Jul 26, 2015

It shouldn't work. Every musical clichà (C) - newspaper cuttings, 'let's do the show right now', schmaltz and sentimentality at every turn - but somehow it wins you over, in very large measure because of Larry Parks' central performance. He humanises and softens the egotistical Jolson. The movie ends up eating itself when Parks meets Parks, but it's a very enjoyable ride.

• Sep 10, 2013

Pretty good for a sequel. I love Larry Parks.

Pretty good for a sequel. I love Larry Parks.

• Jul 20, 2013

Follow-up to The Jolson Story doesn't have the entertainment value of the first film but still managed to be the top-grossing film of the year; includes the famously surreal scene where Larry Parks (as Al Jolson) meets Larry Parks (as himself).

• May 06, 2011

An oddly curious movie. "Jolson Sings Again" is the sequel to "The Jolson Story" (which I have not seen). Both of which star Larry Parks as Jolson) It doesn't matter if you've not seen the first, as the first part of Jolson's life is briefly touched upon, where this movie mainly concentrates on, yes, his later life. Here, he wonders how much his star has faded, and an old agent encourages him to go on USO tours around the world. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much for Al. and he winds up in the hospital. Fortunately for him, he meets a beautiful nurse and marries her. All the while, he wonders what's next for him, as some people in Hollywood have kicked him to the curb. Fortunately, a lucky booking at a benefit re-connects him to the guy who booked the USO tour, he's now a film producer, and he wants to produce... The Al Jolson Story! and here's the guy to play you.... Larry Parks! So yes, we get the ultra-amazing side screen effect of Larry Parks-As-Jolson meeting Younger-Larry-Parks! (Yes, Parks plays Parks). I don't think I've ever seen this technique used before in a biography. It's very startling. Anyways, Jolson gets a second life after the movie with a radio show, and that's when the show ends. There were little teasers towards the end that led me to beloeve they were setting up for a third one, but obviously that didn't happen. I dunno, you may have to REALLY love Jolson to like this (I myself, run hot and cold on him) and it's somewhat super glossy, but entertaining nevertheless.

• May 01, 2011

Siempre he sido un gran fan de Al Jolson, uno de los imprescindibles del cancionero norteamericano, y memorable en el filme "The Jazz Singer" (1927). "Jolson Sings Again" (1949), secuela de la biopic "The Jolson Story" (1946), fue sobrevalorada al darle nominaciones al Oscar por "Mejor Guión" y "Mejor Fotografía". Sin embargo, la nominación a "Mejor Musicalización" fue bien merecida. En esta ocasión, Henry Levin dirige y Larry Parks repite interpretando a Jolson. Fue un total miscast. La verdad sea dicha, no encuentro ninguna justificación para que Parks haya interpretado a Jolson, siendo que ni siquiera se parecía un poco a el cantante. Lo que supo hacer bien Parks, fue mover bien la boca durante los playbacks de canciones clásicas como "Swanee", "I'm just Wild About Harry" y "California Here I Come", así como imitar bien los movimientos y coreografías de Jolson. Básicamente, la trama cuenta cómo después de un retiro temporal, Jolson intenta regresar a los escenarios, encontrándose con el mundo del espectáculo totalmente cambiado. Su agente (William Demarest) lo enlista para ir a entretener a las tropas estadounidenses durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Ahí se enamora de una bella enfermera (Barbara Hale), quien lo atenderá de una fuerte recaída. En realidad, una biopic en extremo convencional (en estos días diríamos tipo "telefilme"), musicalmente disfrutable para los verdaderos fans de Al Jonson. Más en pantallanueve.blogspot.com

• Nov 24, 2009

As with most sequels, it's not quite up with the original, The Jolson Story, and this film doesn't seem to have enough material left to keep it afloat. It's well made and professionally done. It's better than average.

• Aug 17, 2008

Hilarious premise: Jolson, played by Larry Parks, attempts a comeback after Larry Parks, played by Larry Parks, makes him newly popular by playing the real Jolson (played by Larry Parks) in The Jolson Story. You don't care. Great songs, sung by Jolson while Parks mimes.

• Jul 11, 2008

A good musical sequel with Larry Parks on top form, and it's a well written script as well.