The Keys of the Kingdom Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Dec 24, 2017

It Is A 'Classic' of cinema, yes, I Give You That..But It's Also Incredibly Slow, Full Of Longing Looks & Overt Emotional Turmoil, If It Were A True Story It Might Make All That Honey Gift Giving To The Children & Cultural Understanding Of Social Faux-Pars A Little More Genuine. It Felt Tho, All Too Hollywood & Gone-Wind-The-Wind'esk As Gregory Continually Called On God To Replenish The Sinful Of Their Ways, Instil Faith In The Whimsical & Save The Day With Brooding Thoughtfulness.. By The End, I'd Had Enough..& Only The Truly Devoted Film-Noir Gurus Will Appreciate This.

• Apr 08, 2016

Overly long, and lacking enough conflict to leave any real impact. Gregory Peck holds his own in this early role and makes his idealistic priest a likable, if not a little dull, character. The film is also notable for appearances by a young Roddy McDowall, and Vincent Price minus his famous moustache. 2 1/2 stars

• Dec 26, 2015

Good stuff. Enter Gregory Peck in his 2nd theatrical outing starring along side as greats as Vincent Price, I guess Price wasn't a huge actor at the time and this was still early to his career, because once again this was a minor role. Anyway, this is an extremely original film and especially creative given the time. As far as I can tell, this film is not based on any historical facts or events. The events unfolding take place about a decade prior to the film's release date. An up and coming priest in the making has to make a decision between his Catholical career or the love his life. That love was cut short by a decision she made, his decision is made and he gets ordained. The priest is then asked by a bishop to set up a mission in China. The film sounds simple enough but ends up being anything but simple. Peck then continues to age throughout the film as his career and life folds out through his trial and tribulations that he goes through crafting his vision. The film is done beautiful but ends up being slow at times, no film really needs a remake, but this wouldn't be a bad idea for one.

• May 24, 2015

Heathens are not always low just like Christians are not always high. Father Chisholm is a reluctant priest who often has self doubt while his best friend is top of his class with a bright future. His friend is given a huge church to be groomed and thrive in and eventually become famous while Father Chisholm is sent to China to try and convert as many Chinese people as possible to his religion. He is poor and doesn't have much to work with, so he works with kindness and medicine. His efforts provide him with new found friends and happiness, even if he isn't rich and famous like his best friend. "Conversion is accomplished by faith not kidnapping." John Stahl, director of Leave Her to Heaven, Imitation of Life, Magnificent Obsession, The Walls of Jericho, Memory Lane, and Suspicious Wives, delivers The Keys to the Kingdom. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and delivered in a unique way. The script and settings were good and the acting was great. The cast includes Gregory Peck, Vincent Price, Thomas Mitchell, Roddy McDowall, Edmund Gwenn, Cedric Hardwicke, and James Gleason. "At the sight of blood I faint like a woman." I came across this on Netflix and felt I had to watch this classic film. I was excited to see Peck in this movie; and while this isn't his best film, it definitely displayed his great presence and unique ability to display virtue. I strongly recommend seeing this picture. It may not be worth adding to your DVD collection, but it is worth a viewing. "You never know when it is going to rain." Grade: B

• Nov 21, 2014

This film made it clear Peck would be a star. Yes it does not age perfectly, but I challenge you not to shed a tear and feel inspired.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 15, 2013

Peck is wonderful as a priest in the midst of difficult places and times. The "China" story and the "youngsters" story both serve to bring out new elements in Peck's character.

• Oct 05, 2013

With the help of an Oscar nomination, Gregory Peck becamea major star after appearing in Fox's religious bio-epic, in which he plays the heroic Scottish priest, Father Francis Chisholm. this was one of my mom's fave movies and one reason why i was named after mr peck.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 29, 2011

Young Scottish priest Peck goes overseas to convert the people of China to Catholicism ... disagreeing with Church authority types about the so-called heathen status of those "inscrutables": he thinks of them as human beings! This bit of Hollywood liberal radicalism from the 40's got Peck his first Oscar for his portrayal of quiet dignified humility in the face of a world that doesn't care. Gwenn, Mitchell and Price do typically well in the supporting roles. A nice afternoon show.

• Oct 19, 2010

Gregory Peck plays Father Francis Chisholm from Scotland, yet he still seems to have a perfect American accent... Father Chisholm is asked to go to China as a missionary there - yes, the very scum of the religious world. And he initially finds an uneasy feeling when he arrives. However, the Father, it seems, believes in people finding Christianity rather than using various methods to get them to convert. In turn he earns the respect, yet at a cost to his own personal pride and profession ambitions. Peck is good in the role and his accent can be forgiven due to the time this film was made and the lack of readily available actors. The film features some wonderful sets. A good film, but it hardly changes my overall disdain for missionaries!