Kidnapped Reviews

• Dec 05, 2012

Excellent movie based upon RL Stevenson's book - which was based on recent recent Scottish political events of it's day. Unfortunately, rumors were considered adequate sources for news reports of those days. Still, most of the historical incidents portrayed here are true. Solid script, camerawork, and actors who could hit their marks. A must see if you're of Scottish decent: the American revolt might have been different had those Highlanders not protested so vehemently a few decades earlier! Have pride in you'rn tartan with sporran and garters!

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Aug 20, 2012

I saw this on TCM. I've never read the book, so I wasn't familiar with the story. This is the second movie adaptation, and the first with sound. I was expecting something similar to Treasure Island. Because of the time period and a bit of seafaring adventure it did share some things in common with Stevenson's more famous novel. Freddie Bartholomew is very good as the young lead. Old Hollywood was always adding romantic subplots whether one was present in the original story or not. Like I said, I didn't know how much of this film adaptation matched the book source. Jean MacDonald and Warner Baxter have good chemistry as a couple though. I thought it worked, especially when the three main characters pass themselves off as a family. There were a couple instances where I questioned if distances traveled and time passing made logical sense. However the story is constructed fairly well and the characters are all well developed. From what I understand, this film contains a talented collection of many of the British character actors of the day.

• Mar 23, 2012

good adaption of the classic robert louis stevenson book.

good adaption of the classic robert louis stevenson book.