Kika Reviews

• Aug 15, 2015

7.7 [Pedro Almodóvar]

7.7 [Pedro Almodóvar]

• May 22, 2015

A silly and perverse exorcise from Almodovar that entertains despite itself.

A silly and perverse exorcise from Almodovar that entertains despite itself.

• Aug 31, 2014

To me, the best Almodovar's movie. He's at the highest level of his typically dirty sexy image (not only the women, everything), abandoned only with Talk to Her. All great characters, but, of course, Kika is the best, a wonderfully peculiar (highly!) sensible and realistic woman.

• Sep 06, 2012

By the early 1990's, Pedro Almodóvar had become a favourite in world cinema, making diverse yet beautifully looking and critically acclaimed films. As his follow up to High Heels (1991), he made a sort of retreat into the campy outrageousness of his early films, a satire on the intrusive nature of the media. Some of it works, some of it doesn't, but it has some good performances and some other-worldly costumes by Jean Paul Gaultier. Kika (Veronica Forquà (C)) is a make-up artist who aspires to be an actress, who ends up involved with American writer Nicholas Pierce (Peter Coyote), and his stepson Ramón (Alex Casanovas). Ramón went into a state of catatonia after his mother died, but Kika seems to have brought him out of it, and they both move in together, however Kika also ends up having an affair with Nicholas as well. This captures the attention of trashy tabloid TV presenter Andrea Caracortada (Victoria Abril), who goes around with a video camera on her head filming grieving people and aftermaths of violent encounters. After Kika has a traumatic incident, Andrea Caracortada won't leave her alone. This film has a rape scene played for laughs, it shouldn't work, but it does, sort of. But, the film on a whole if kind of like someone you found funny when you were younger, but they're trying to be funny and wacky years later, and it looks embarrassing. It does look good mind, but even Almodóvar later said the film was a let down.

• Jul 29, 2012

Perhaps it's caught me at the right mood, but this was a riot of over-the-top, crazy people, bound by the sticky web of... sex. Bizarre, disturbing, hilarious, surreal: has to be watched to be believed.

• Jul 13, 2012

As it provocative and avanguard for the time it was made it's good example how thing can be show completely different. For example death. excellent cinematography.

• Jun 02, 2012

Once again almodovar is taking us into his mad world of crazy characters & situations! some parts are really funny, especially when the police officers are desperatly trying to get the rapist off the poor woman! A top comic scene! The cast is great as always, the storyline pretty intense but interesting as always. A good one definitely!

• Feb 08, 2012

Before "Todo Sobre Mi Madre," this was, by far and away, my favorite Almodovar film, despite the polarizingly mixed reviews by film critics. I absolutely loved the main character's joy and optimism, even in the most harrowing of circumstances. Truly hilarious and outrageous from start to finish! I'm still at odds as to whether I like this one over the far more serious and critically acclaimed "Habla con Elle".... Whatever the case, it's definitely one of my top three all-time Almodovar faves!

• Jan 20, 2012

Loca, divertida y absurda. Kika no sera de lo mejor de Almodovar pero vale mucho la pena. (La escena de la violacion es de las escenas mas graciosas que he visto, y mira que para hacer de una violacion algo de que reirse solo Pedro A. lo puede lograr. Tiene una narrativa muy revoltosa y confusa y no tendra mucho sentido pero la actuacion de Veronica F. como Kika es espectacular.

• Jan 15, 2012

Ok, it's not a novelty for Almodovar not to make sense, but this was beyond imagination... From the beginning till the end (and especially in the end) I found it impossible to follow the story. But that's not a problem, in fact it was rather fun now and then. But I didn't find it so interesting. Kika herself was hilarious (the rape scene can only be discribed as: what the hell?!) but Abril's character should have been killed off way before, I just couldn't stand her.