Kiss and Make-Up Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

Fun because of Grant.

Fun because of Grant.

• Apr 22, 2020

Another 30's Grant comedy that's fun to watch, even if it's predictable. Tobin is great as the beauty obsessed love interest.

• Mar 20, 2016

Saw the redigitised version of this film, which made it look later than 1934. The acting reveals its age though, it's somewhat wooden and still very much 'stage' rather than 'film' in its delivery. What is most notable is the storyline about plastic surgery, and clearly how established it was in the early part of the 20th Century, which surprised me.

• Mar 30, 2015

good com-dram and the least known cary grant pic, for me anyways

good com-dram and the least known cary grant pic, for me anyways

• jay n Super Reviewer
    May 01, 2011

Rather ridiculous early Cary movie. He's slick, maybe a little too slick but still charismatic even if he hadn't fully settled into his persona yet.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 03, 2010

A hilarious and fun movie with Cary Grant and Edward Everett Horton, who are really funny and give great performances. It's essentially a story of being careful of what you wish for.

• May 16, 2010

3: Hmm. Not exactly a feminist film. It includes a few rather interesting views on the nature of love, marriage, beauty, etc. All the women are either chasing after men or silently pining after them. They all seem to want surgery or beauty products and be happy to tease once they are assured they are desired by the opposite sex. The men seem to want their women beautiful, but not too beautiful, because then the husband would be afraid of losing their wife when they realize they can do better. As I write this, I'm not sure how different these aspects are from most films. It's all in the tone I guess. You'd have to see it. It does seem to be a bit ahead of its time in some ways. The story is bit ridiculous, as screwball comedy types are from this era, but it's carefree and lighthearted enough to be quite entertaining. The story drew me in just about from the start. It's essentially impossible not to root for the secretary. Comedies like this were simply churned out in their heyday, but most didn't have a star like Grant. It's always interesting to see where stars started. It'd obviously Grant, even if he is a little less polished and confident. The chase sequence at the end is great, ether, multiplying rabbits, toupee and all.

• Apr 06, 2009

Considering its a morality tale about how beauty isn't everything, the girl's decision not to marry Lamar's opponent because of his fake hair (her reasoning was probably - oh, but he lied!) is strange. And, yes, one of the more wooden Cary Grant performances...

• Mar 07, 2009

Interesting train-wreck. Many odd moments, elaborate set designs, corny slapstick, and a song about corned beef and cabbage. One of those movies where you really can't root for the characters to get together. So wrong in many ways that its just about watchable if you like the period. Overall this Screen Legends - Cary Grant set is fulfilling my expectations...really for diehard fans of lesser known 30s movies, than even Cary Grant fans.

• Sep 30, 2008

Very pre-code, and clever too. Horton steals every scene he's in.

Very pre-code, and clever too. Horton steals every scene he's in.