The Last Airbender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Airbender Reviews

November 21, 2017
I didn't watch the last airbender until a couple of years ago, but it's hands down the best film i've ever seen. The music takes my heart to a place of serenity and hope. The avatar and the characters (although a little cheesy at times) are perfect for their roles. The whole movie makes me feel like what i imagine true star wars fans feel when watching any of the saga... it makes me feel like an innocent child again, full of hope and desperate to live amongst the beautiful landscape in perfect harmony with the seasons. I don't know if anybody in the world feels the way i do about this movie, but after learning the sequel was canceled, i lost all hope in other people. The last airbender was one of a generation and any attempts to better or remaster that will break my heart. That was a beautiful movie.
½ November 11, 2017
very bad remake of the amazing cute tv show
½ November 9, 2017
Not nearly as bad as its made out to be IF you don't compare it to the show. Its an entirely different version of the world and characters. It was going for a darker tone than the light hearted playfulness of the cartoon where war and genocide wasn't treated with the utmost seriousness. Parts of the film are unintentionally bad, yes like the Earthbenders prison scene and the Princess's haircut. But visually this has really great cinematography and that score by James Newton Howard is beautiful, especially Flow like Water. And the special effects were not bad either, only it feels like they were missing in some scenes. But really this film is about Aang's character arc of accepting his duty as the Avatar so it makes more sense for him to be downbeat and sad since all the Air Nomads were extinct. I like that Aang did not kill anyone which is different to his murderous cartoon counterpart who killed the Firebenders senselessly when he became the Koi monster. Zuko and his uncle were also good characters and Sokka was funny but his humor was downplayed so casual viewers didn't pick up on it. And Katara played the motherly figure to Aang and treated him as her responsibility to look over. All in all, The Last Airbender is a decent children's fantasy film if you can bring yourself to completely disconnect it from the source material its based off. Watch it again with an open mind and it becomes a really magical experience.
November 6, 2017
Despite graceful cinematography and some visual flair, The Last Airbender otherwise flounders with terrible writing, confusing storytelling, and bland acting.
November 5, 2017
I may be literally the only person who thinks this, but I loved the movie. If you don't like this movie then we can't be friend. Sorry not sorry.
½ November 1, 2017
Very boring action, I only like the TV series better, but M.Night Shyamalan is one of the directors who did The Happening and Signs and Unbreakable. Kids should not watch this movie, only the TV series, which this movie is boring, horrible, low-action, wrong opening title, and wrong story.
October 26, 2017
When adapting a fan-favorite franchise, watch this, then do the opposite. This a textbook example taking on too much at once.
½ October 23, 2017
Complete garbage, couldn't even get the main character's name right.
October 21, 2017
A hopelessly tedious adaptation of what I've heard is a superlative Cartoon Network show. Rife with hideously stilted acting (probably due to Shyamalan's always misguided direction), pretty sorry dialogue, and a passionless story. Saved only by one or two good action sequences, some pleasing visuals, and perhaps as much as three convincing performances. Steer clear of this one.
October 14, 2017
So much potential and so much disappointment. As an avid fan of the series and lore to hear there was a movie was more than exciting. Completely taking out expectations because i had none only hopes all i can say to the creators and actors alike is "How could you?!". So much story, so much character building and so much emotion and you used none of it. Rushed story, no characters just actors (and terrible at that). Entire story told as narrative voice over without getting to see any of it and where the story is about struggle to master elements they got across the world and mastered water in an hour. My opinion is if you want to see something less rushed then go watch the Formula 1. And to the creators of this joke without a punchline...please please quit while you're behind.
½ October 9, 2017
The Last Airbender disregards most of the elements that made the source such a beloved epic, opting to take a new direction. The result is a poorly cast, incoherent adventure tale that is devoid of any fun.
½ October 8, 2017
This movie is wasn't great and not perfects either but its alright, their trying making live action based on Nickelodeon cartoon who doing look bad. its their no asian actors or actress in this movie. its you The Last Airbender fans out there who like the show and of Avatar Korra too? I highly recommend. but this is so Bad is Good
½ October 8, 2017
Even though Dev Patel had a somewhat decent performance, it doesn't save the film from the other performances, the abysmal writing, and it's horrific attempt to recapture the magic of the show, making The Last Airbender one of the worst adaptations ever.
½ September 28, 2017
Like.... why....how....oh, god, no..... The acting is awful, like it sucks. This movie just confirmed that child acting should be illegal. You ruined an amazing franchise. I hate how Shyamalan used to do a great movie and then maked an awful one.Plus his style of directing was so not appropriate for an Avatar adaptation. It's sooo full of exposition, sometimes needlessly so. The dialogue is so boring and stale. I can't believe people got paid to make this. I can not physically watch this movie after the first time. Avatar is my favourite series and (probably) piece of cinematography and seeing it like this is just painful. Everything someone can get wrong they did it wrong in this movie. I can not physically watch the movie again. I won't try to either.
½ September 22, 2017
I created an account on this site because I couldn't live in a world where Speed 2:Cruise Control was somehow rated lower than this absolute garbage.

In a terrible marriage of director and source material, Shyamalan attempts to take a children's show which is meaningful and thought-provoking but ultimately fun and light-hearted, and make it into... Oscar bait? Sweeping drama? Bad CGI nonsense? I'm not sure, but the heart of the original show is completely lost.

Paired with an over-wrought approach, the movie also further insults the popular tv-shows audience by attempting to change the pronunciations of the names of characters who we've been introduced to phonetically for their entire existence. It's not as though this was a novel we're now finally hearing an official pronunciation on. There was an official pronunciation, and this movie decided to change it.

Apart from the jarring tone and the total lack of fan-service, or indeed fan not-insult, for those unfamiliar with the show, the plot is plodding and difficult to follow, the characters are introduced in such a way that you don't care who lives or dies, and the cinematography makes it difficult to follow what's actually happening in the scenes. I have a lot of respect for Shyamalan, and I'm sure the rest of the crew and cast are lovely people, but it's really a shame this movie is on their resumes.
September 5, 2017
Worst movie I've ever seen... extremely low quality compared to the cartoon.
½ September 1, 2017
This movie had so much potential. It follows the series pretty well, but is pretty all over the place. The actors. Is pretty bad and the casting should have been a lot better. The changes they made from the series were not well thought out. They obviously didn't do their research. The effects weren't terrible, obviously this was in 2010 when CGI wasn't as big. The cast should have been chosen based on their nation. It is not hard to decipher the race or ethnicity of the animated version. And it would not have been difficult to cast non-white leads. Nothing is worse than a bad child actor and the actor who plays Ang is just that. A bad child actor. The point is is that this is a great idea for a movie, just done in the wrong way. I truly hope this series and idea is picked up and is better executed in a new live action movie.
August 26, 2017
Don't waste your time watching this.
½ August 22, 2017
The avatar series was beautifully made with complex characters who were lovable and relatable, in a world interesting and so well built with culture. Topped off with a solid plot, amazingly thought through fight choreography, beautiful animation moral lessons, and wonderfully composed music.
This movie however was made with a white washed cast of below average teen actors, horrible special effects, bad shot composition, terrible choreography, and dialog made from exposition. Pretty much the exact opposite of the original series. Can I give it a negative rating for wasting my time?
August 14, 2017
This movie is a disservice to a flawless TV show. This movie is stupid, generic, and boring. Do not watch this.