The Last Airbender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Airbender Reviews

½ September 22, 2017
I created an account on this site because I couldn't live in a world where Speed 2:Cruise Control was somehow rated lower than this absolute garbage.

In a terrible marriage of director and source material, Shyamalan attempts to take a children's show which is meaningful and thought-provoking but ultimately fun and light-hearted, and make it into... Oscar bait? Sweeping drama? Bad CGI nonsense? I'm not sure, but the heart of the original show is completely lost.

Paired with an over-wrought approach, the movie also further insults the popular tv-shows audience by attempting to change the pronunciations of the names of characters who we've been introduced to phonetically for their entire existence. It's not as though this was a novel we're now finally hearing an official pronunciation on. There was an official pronunciation, and this movie decided to change it.

Apart from the jarring tone and the total lack of fan-service, or indeed fan not-insult, for those unfamiliar with the show, the plot is plodding and difficult to follow, the characters are introduced in such a way that you don't care who lives or dies, and the cinematography makes it difficult to follow what's actually happening in the scenes. I have a lot of respect for Shyamalan, and I'm sure the rest of the crew and cast are lovely people, but it's really a shame this movie is on their resumes.
September 22, 2017
Even though Dev Patel had a somewhat decent performance, it doesn't save the film from the other performances, the abysmal writing, and it's horrific attempt to recapture the magic of the show, making The Last Airbender one of the worst adaptations ever.
½ September 12, 2017
Like.... why....how....oh, god, no..... The acting is awful, like it sucks. This movie just confirmed that child acting should be illegal. You ruined an amazing franchise. I hate how Shyamalan does a great movie and then makes an awful one. And did the bad one really have to be THIS one? I can't believe someone got paid to make this. I can not physically watch this movie after the first time. Avatar is my favourite series and (probably) piece of cinematography and seeing it like this is just painful. To be fair it would have probably never worked as a movie but one can only hope.
September 5, 2017
Worst movie I've ever seen... extremely low quality compared to the cartoon.
½ September 1, 2017
This movie had so much potential. It follows the series pretty well, but is pretty all over the place. The actors. Is pretty bad and the casting should have been a lot better. The changes they made from the series were not well thought out. They obviously didn't do their research. The effects weren't terrible, obviously this was in 2010 when CGI wasn't as big. The cast should have been chosen based on their nation. It is not hard to decipher the race or ethnicity of the animated version. And it would not have been difficult to cast non-white leads. Nothing is worse than a bad child actor and the actor who plays Ang is just that. A bad child actor. The point is is that this is a great idea for a movie, just done in the wrong way. I truly hope this series and idea is picked up and is better executed in a new live action movie.
August 26, 2017
Don't waste your time watching this.
½ August 22, 2017
The avatar series was beautifully made with complex characters who were lovable and relatable, in a world interesting and so well built with culture. Topped off with a solid plot, amazingly thought through fight choreography, beautiful animation moral lessons, and wonderfully composed music.
This movie however was made with a white washed cast of below average teen actors, horrible special effects, bad shot composition, terrible choreography, and dialog made from exposition. Pretty much the exact opposite of the original series. Can I give it a negative rating for wasting my time?
August 14, 2017
This movie is a disservice to a flawless TV show. This movie is stupid, generic, and boring. Do not watch this.
½ August 7, 2017
You can't call this a "movie" . You just can't
½ August 6, 2017
Worst animation to live action ever. Thanks Shyamalan.
½ August 3, 2017
Screw you M Night Shyamalan for ruining a great series
August 2, 2017
Great movie and I'd love to see a sequel
½ July 31, 2017
Worst movie ever made! Under no circumstances watch this and burn all copies on sight! Negative 5 Stars
July 28, 2017
To be fair this more than I expected for this movie. The movements and effects mirrored that of the cartoon series. The only problem was that they spent alot of time around Zuko and less around Aang and the fire nation. It could have used more of the series humor but did not and went for a darker tone. It starts off slow but picks up about 30 minutes in. I hope to see the next two books earth and fire put into movies as well but based on how this film is doing I don't think I ever will. As sad as it is to say this film is only ment for those how have seen the series there is almost no way to understand the characters unless you have. Everyone rags on this film because M. Night has not made a good film for awhile and the story can only be understood if you have seen the series. The issue with most critics is that they probably have not seen the series and have no idea what is going on. Despite how much of the series is cut out the bare bones are there for me to see. To frank thats all I ask for in a film. Go in with the lowest expectations and enjoy if you like the series. Its better than Dragonball Evolution and believe me I tried to give that movie a chance but that did not work out to well.
-Slayer360123
½ July 28, 2017
the names were changed A's became Ahhhhs and the M night shamealan spelled incorrectly on purpose ruined a great series
July 27, 2017
This movie had potential, but it blew it all at once. For starters; M. Night Shyamalan directed
This film. Not that he can't do good work, it's just After Signs, he didn't make a good film until The Visit, and that came out 5 years after this film did. Second, every character including Aang has his name pronounced differently, what the hell was that all about? Third, the effects are terrible, and the "air karate" for the effects is even worse. So, to sum it up, stay as far away from this film as possible
July 24, 2017
Disgrace to humanity.
½ July 17, 2017
This movie got rid of everything good about the TV show. Terrible acting, plot, but worst of all, the movie had no heart like the show did.
July 16, 2017
The most disappointing midnight showing I've every been to. It's been 7 years since this came out and it still makes my blood boil how bad it was. I wish I could give it 0 stars.
½ July 4, 2017
one of the worst movie adaptations i have ever watched. wish I had not known about it when it released,

such a poorly made movie, it failed in more ways than one