The Last Airbender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Airbender Reviews

½ February 22, 2018
How could someone mess up so badly? How could a director take an amazing show, and make people want to throw popcorn at their screen? The acting was terrible, costumes and make up disgraceful, animation dreadful . . . could I hate it more? Why was Aang's name pronounced wrong? Why was everyone white? Why was it casted so horribly wrong? Why did Zuko look like he got a little sunburn instead of a painful scar? I mean . . . you couldn't have done worse. People that heard the story line and were intrigued, please, go watch the show. It has the same story line, but you'll be smiling instead of snickering. The TV show was funny, inspirational, unique, and just simply perfect. I'm still in shock that the movie messed up so badly.
½ February 19, 2018
This movie is legit pretty horrible from bad acting by literally everybody, to the lame condensed plot, to mispronouncing everyone's name to loads of inconsistencies between it and itself and the show (earthbenders in an earth prison?, fire bending needs a source? everyone is indian for some reason?).

However personally I have a great time every time I watch this since it's just so hilariously bad. Every time I find something embarrassing I missed before. Watching it with friends is a blast since it's so easy to continually poke fun of. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I love this movie.

If you do want to see a compelling real life adaptation of the series however, I have some bad news for you...
½ February 9, 2018
So much wrong with this movie. Pacing is terrible, characters are inconsistent, and (I know it's kinda petty) the pronunciation of SO MANY things is just wrong. I mean, come on, there's LITERALLY 3 seasons of source material that I'm sure not one person associated with this movie bothered to review.
February 4, 2018
Watching this movie now on tv. It hurts my brain. I loved the animated version of both Avatar Aang and Avatar Korra. This live action movie betrays the animated version, word pronounciation and how the characters are portrayed. Even the parody episode in the animated version was better. There is no point for sequels if the will all be like this....
January 28, 2018
Aweful acting, the earthbenders prison is is.. get it, litterally outside where they could bend all they wanted to. it has no joy, nor emotion, the races are all wrong compared to the actual cartoon. Its a disgrace to the franchise.
January 25, 2018
0/5 WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!
January 24, 2018
Better than Star Wars The Last Jedi at least... but that is not saying much.
December 29, 2017
It's been seven years since I've seen this atrocity of a movie and I still remember the disgrace it brought to the series... I have no words besides shame on you
December 28, 2017
i saw it and it was amazing
½ December 22, 2017
of the worst directors, he completely ruined the movie
December 18, 2017
Such a shame when the TV show is so incredible
½ December 16, 2017
Where the cartoon was great fun, this was just entirely mediocre. They probably should have tried to make the story a bit smaller, rather than squeezing in a whole season of the series, and focus on good character development.
December 16, 2017
One of the best movies EVER!!!!
December 14, 2017
Pathetic acting. Disastrous
November 21, 2017
I didn't watch the last airbender until a couple of years ago, but it's hands down the best film i've ever seen. The music takes my heart to a place of serenity and hope. The avatar and the characters (although a little cheesy at times) are perfect for their roles. The whole movie makes me feel like what i imagine true star wars fans feel when watching any of the saga... it makes me feel like an innocent child again, full of hope and desperate to live amongst the beautiful landscape in perfect harmony with the seasons. I don't know if anybody in the world feels the way i do about this movie, but after learning the sequel was canceled, i lost all hope in other people. The last airbender was one of a generation and any attempts to better or remaster that will break my heart. That was a beautiful movie.
½ November 11, 2017
very bad remake of the amazing cute tv show
½ November 9, 2017
Not nearly as bad as its made out to be IF you don't compare it to the show. Its an entirely different version of the world and characters. It was going for a darker tone than the light hearted playfulness of the cartoon where war and genocide wasn't treated with the utmost seriousness. Parts of the film are unintentionally bad, yes like the Earthbenders prison scene and the Princess's haircut. But visually this has really great cinematography and that score by James Newton Howard is beautiful, especially Flow like Water. And the special effects were not bad either, only it feels like they were missing in some scenes. But really this film is about Aang's character arc of accepting his duty as the Avatar so it makes more sense for him to be downbeat and sad since all the Air Nomads were extinct. I like that Aang did not kill anyone which is different to his murderous cartoon counterpart who killed the Firebenders senselessly when he became the Koi monster. Zuko and his uncle were also good characters and Sokka was funny but his humor was downplayed so casual viewers didn't pick up on it. And Katara played the motherly figure to Aang and treated him as her responsibility to look over. All in all, The Last Airbender is a decent children's fantasy film if you can bring yourself to completely disconnect it from the source material its based off. Watch it again with an open mind and it becomes a really magical experience.
November 6, 2017
Despite graceful cinematography and some visual flair, The Last Airbender otherwise flounders with terrible writing, confusing storytelling, and bland acting.
November 5, 2017
I may be literally the only person who thinks this, but I loved the movie. If you don't like this movie then we can't be friend. Sorry not sorry.
½ November 1, 2017
Very boring action, I only like the TV series better, but M.Night Shyamalan is one of the directors who did The Happening and Signs and Unbreakable. Kids should not watch this movie, only the TV series, which this movie is boring, horrible, low-action, wrong opening title, and wrong story.