Reviews

• Oct 17, 2021

A simple story but effective...I enjoyed Gandolfini as colonel winter and Redford plays his role well too

• Oct 04, 2021

Redford is gold as a former military commander, now in military prison that's led by Gandolfini - who kills prisoners at will. Redford rallies the troops and takes over the castle.

• Sep 06, 2021

Drowning in a sea of clichés and implausibilities, "The Last Castle" is a colossal comical mess of Hollywood production work that is trite and predictable in every step of the way. It can actually get borderline disrespectful at times with its scenes of character incompetencies.

• Sep 03, 2021

I thought this was an excellent movie.

I thought this was an excellent movie.

• Aug 01, 2021

For the most part, good movie. Worth watching.

For the most part, good movie. Worth watching.

• Mar 16, 2021

The movie was almost inspiring enough to accomplish the total suspension of disbelief that would be necessary to love it. Redford was striking in his role as a chiseled, hard-nosed combat veteran and Gandolfini is good in everything he does. I love Ruffalo even when he plays a butthole character like this one and Jerry Goldsmith is my favorite composer whose work I will love even when it's rather subdued as it is in this. The trouble was the mounting sense of implausibility one gets as the movie walks through its lengthy running time -- everything from the warden's clearly personal vendetta, his appeasing the general until it's too late, the general being willing to sacrifice himself for one petty victory over a much lesser man and the miraculously hidden heavy weaponry struck me as extremely unlikely. Redford's character seemed at least as manipulative as Gandolfini's was, though his was better at hiding his reasons. The ending seemed intended to stir discussion on its meaning as though those involved were blissfully unaware that they weren't making the next Shawshank Redemption. I lost faith in the movie when Redford's character dropped all pretense and told the warden he shouldn't try and win by isolating him as that's absolutely what the warden should've done. While the pace was slow it seemed the reason was them stretching necessary scenes out longer than they needed to be as it felt as though they skipped over some scenes that would've built up to the final confrontation in a far more exciting way. That said, I went into this expecting nothing fantastic and that's exactly what I got, so at least I wasn't disappointed!

• Jan 26, 2021

Something is missing. All perfectly executed, but the plot did not turn out to be a masterstroke of the film making craft.

• Nov 04, 2020

It's good and entertaining albeit unrealistic looking, but in this instance you don't look for realism, what matters is core message.

• Nov 01, 2020

Redford, Gandolphini, Young Mark Fuffalo, Redford, Steve Burton! Good vs Evil

Redford, Gandolphini, Young Mark Fuffalo, Redford, Steve Burton! Good vs Evil

• Oct 12, 2020

One of my all time favorite movies!

One of my all time favorite movies!