The Last Wagon Reviews

• Feb 25, 2018

Good old Western and unlike a lot of old ones doesn't depict Natives as terrible savages. Main character is interesting. Enjoyed watching the beautiful AZ cinematography.

• May 31, 2016

A "Hollywood"-style western...The characters and plot is pretty much a 1940's style western movie cliche...worth watching, as others have noted, for the beautiful Arizona landscape (which is not, as some think, Monument "Valley, but actually the Sedona area, though a couple of shots recall the Monument Valley terrain).

• Dec 05, 2014

WOW......WOW....WOW....THRILLING.....AMAZING.....ENJOYABLE...man I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie......I think that Richard widmark (.R.I.P.), Felicia farr, Stephanie griffin, susan kohner, tommy rettig (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this western/drama/action/adventure/classics movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch........its got good fight scenes throughout this movie...... The film was shot on location in Sedona, AZ, at the mouth of Oak Creek Canyon. Director Delmer Daves described the difficulty he had in finding a pristine location for the film, as his previous western, Broken Arrow (1950), had popularized the region. It was shot in DeLuxe Color and CinemaScope. man I think that this is such a thrilling western movie 2 watch.....I think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch, its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......I think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie,...... Triva Note Tommy Rettig, who plays Jenny's younger brother Billy, is re-united with Widmark, Rettig played Widmark's son in the 1950 film noir Panic in the Streets. man this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......

• May 24, 2013

The survivors of an Apache attack on an Eastward wagon are led to safety by a half cast Comanche convict, who shot three white men who had killed his wife and his three children. Gripping and adventurous in its simplicity, The Last Wagon is a little underrated gem that will surely not disappoint fans of the genre.

• Apr 30, 2013

A renegade half-Indian saves the day in the Old West--A fine western adventure!!

• Apr 13, 2013

130414: This movie is pretty bad. Pretty bad acting, pretty korny story but for some reason endearing. Widmark's Comanche Tod is an annoyingly overbearing and stoic character. I just couldn't take him seriously and often found his behaviour comical. After an hour and a half of action and adventure, the film ends rather farcically. I almost thought a musical was going to break out...also annoying...but quaint.

• Nov 21, 2010

Richard Widmark punches an eagle and kills some indians, like you need any other reason to see this.

• Sep 06, 2010

Richard Widmark is a murderer on the run when he ends up helping a bunch of lost kids find their way through a hostile Indian territory, becoming a sort of surrogate father. There are some interesting characters and a few interesting issues brought up. Widmark has a couple good speeches, especially near the end. It's not fantastic. There are some kind of silly bits, especially near the end. But overall, a fun western with some solid performances.

• Aug 19, 2010

The film's best recommendation toward today's viewer is its effective Cinemascope widening of classic and colorful Monument Valley vistas. The stunning Arizona scenery backdrops what appears at first blush to be another Injuns versus settlers mid-Century Saturday matinee oater. This, however, is another subtle 1950s vehicle out of Fox studios intended to take existing racial prejudice to task. Widmark's the white man raised by Comanches, who at one point has taken revenge on settlers who killed his Comanche wife and children - and he's a wanted man for it. But when Indians commit the same sin, by attacking a group of helpless wagoneers, Widmark casts his lot with the holed-up white men (and women and children). In the process, he cures them of their own hatred of Indians. It may be the same essential theme as that embedded within "The Searchers" but this plotline is quite lacking in such drama. Widmark's delivery is interesting to view, but he's no Duke. Except for Widmark's wagon-train love interest, most of the other deliveries are forgettable. Predictable plot - and the conclusion breezes well past predictable and straight into quite corny/sappy territory. RECOMMENDATION: Primarily to fans of Westerns looking to add some depth/texture to their library - - or viewers who'd like another long, lush look at classic Western scenery.

• William S Super Reviewer
    Jun 27, 2010

An efficiently exciting good ole' fashioned western that very much compensates for its cliches by being a cracking story. It's also beautifully shot against the glorious high plains (which is a cliche in itself of course, but one I can certainly live with) with a good dollop of social conscience hand wringing thrown in to make us whities feel good about ourselves - even if, at best, the Indians perspective is still ignored, the white man is shown to be more brutal (despite fudging things a little with the rather smug wishful thinking of the ending)