Life as a House Reviews

• Sep 06, 2020

Finally saw this and was expecting a well-crafted character drama. Instead I got reminded of everything that’s wrong with Hollywood. First, we have a producer directing…danger! Irwin Winkler was able to assemble a terrific cast by pulling in favors, not by offering them a good script. I can only assume the development process went notoriously awry. The story veers wildly off-track and off-theme, and suddenly involves a mishmash of loving your neighbor scenes — daughter, mother, and exes swapping sex partners out of sheer boredom and the desperate need for some kind of plot, which is never achieved. This is a vision of domestic life that could only come from the imagination of people with way too much money and no sense of morality or personal boundaries. Did I mention that pederasty and pedophilia offer a fun little plot point? The string-heavy musical score tries desperately to conjure emotion and pathos out of the thin air and plot. By the end all we can do is follow the bouncing ball of musical montages and the do-it-yourself home building project. Someone desperately wants to be Lasse Hallström, but it ain’t gonna happen.

• Jul 01, 2020

The cast nearly saves it but the film is too melodramatic for its own good.

The cast nearly saves it but the film is too melodramatic for its own good.

• May 08, 2020

Yo la vi y me parece que Hayden Christensen es EL MEJOR ACTOR CANADIENSE y esta película es buenísima y graciosa

• Dec 09, 2019

This movie moved me more than any I have seen.

This movie moved me more than any I have seen.

• Oct 18, 2019

I may have fallen in love with Mary Steenbergen but i really enjoyed this film. Kevin Kline was amazing and this movie made me want to go to CA. Mary has the best ass of all times...

• Jan 04, 2019

Divorced, recently fired and rapidly becoming estranged from his son, George makes good on his life long dream: build himself the oceanview house of his dreams! The various aspects of life, good and bad, are for us to witness. Well performed and a good story!

• Jul 22, 2018

An unappreciated gem with realistic portrayals from it's trio of capable performers, 'Life As A House' is a sad but heartwarming story boosted by a resonant score and beautiful locale.

• Jul 22, 2018

I loved this film, which was warm, funny and poignant all at once. The cast was outstanding, especially Hayden Christenson, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for this part, which he deserved! As usual, I differ from the critics in my opinion, and the audience score agrees with me, not them!

• Jul 17, 2018