London After Midnight Reviews

• Feb 10, 2020

One of the great lost films, but since you can't watch, it can only remain in the minds of us all who were fortunate enough to watch it, I sadly was not one of them.

• Oct 06, 2019

Ranking for he short photograph version. Shows Lon Chaney's skill with disguise, you can feel the actors emotions in just photos. I was impressed

• Jan 31, 2016

Tod Browning and Lon Chaney deliver a classic horror. Unfortunately this is a lost film, and the only available version is comprised of still pictures. Therefore, this is very difficult if not impossible to score impartially. Having viewed this piecemeal version, I understood the story and again can only imagine the delivery from a master such as Lon Chaney.

• Oct 26, 2015

Since a studio fire in 1967, all that remains of this 1927 silent film is a restored still-frame version - it is like a tantalizing glimpse into what could have been a great film... Still, it is remarkably good and boasts the rich masquerading talents of Lon Chaney.

• Nov 19, 2014

Tod Browning's lost 1927 Lon Chaney hit gets a 45 minute restoration that makes one wish a pristine copy would appear in a film vault. A clever twist on the vampire tale, with Chaney's makeup the real star.

• Nov 03, 2014

A flick about vampires turns into a crime drama. Wasn't too happy about that.

A flick about vampires turns into a crime drama. Wasn't too happy about that.

• Nov 01, 2014

This restoration is surprisingly entertaining. The film is light hearted. It is a mystery thriller with comedy overtones, like such popular and much-filmed 1920's plays as Mary Roberts Rinehartand Avery Hopwood's The Bat (1920) and John Willard's The Cat and the Canary (1922). Both of those plays pitted a group of innocents against sinister goings on at night in a remote mansion. Their menaces were human, but very outrà (C) and bizarre. The menace in London After Midnight is seemingly a group of vampires, led by Lon Chaney in one of his zaniest horror get ups. This gives the film a cross hybridization with the vampire film. However, there is little of the grim, brooding and genuinely disturbing sense of horror here, that one finds in traditional, pure vampire films as Murnau's Nosferatu (1922). Instead, the film's tone reflects the mixture of mystery, comedy and thrills, found in The Batand its relatives. This is all to the good; Browning had a real flair for the mystery thriller.

• Apr 17, 2013

A great story with one of the greatest actors. While this reconstruction is decent enough with stills, many of these photos are repeatedly shown throughout the presentation.

• Feb 08, 2013

I have the last remaining copy in my basement. I touch the celluloid when no-one is looking!

• Nov 02, 2012

Why are you interested in vampires? A rich man believed to have committed suicide had his family abandon the house after his death. Since leaving the house a mysterious group has moved in that some believe to be vampires. After another murder, a group made up of an investigator and members of the family, returns to the house to discover the ghoulish people. Are they really vampires and could they be responsible for the original death? "I don't want any police in this. Just do what I tell you." Tod Browning, director of Dracula (1931), Freaks, The Unknown, Mark of the Vampire, The Blackbird, Where East is East, and The Mystic, delivers London After Midnight. The storyline for this picture is very good and a nice blend of "who done it" and horror. The acting looked like it had a lot of potential to be very good and the cast includes Lon Chaney, Marceline Day, Henry Walthall, and Percy Williams. "How did you get here so soon?" "That's my business, young man." This restoration of a long lost silent picture is a series of images along with the original script from the movie (all recreated and provided by Turner Classic Movies). Despite the limited view of the movie, this was an amazing tale with interesting characters, unpredictable subplots, and a very good conclusion. I recommend seeing this picture. "She saw the living dead people in the Balfour house." Grade: A-