Loveless (Nelyubov) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loveless (Nelyubov) Reviews

August 1, 2018
it isnīt a Russian story, itīs a contemporary story. hard a obvious for a while, Loveless is a parable about iphones, couples, love and sons. You must watch it.
July 28, 2018
Loveless can be seen as a realistic drama or a metaphor but, in any case, its social criticism is obvious.
July 27, 2018
***BEGUILING, UNPREDICTABLE MYSTERY MADE ME FORGET I WAS IN A MOVIE THEATER***
½ June 16, 2018
Although made in the spirit of the Russian traditions of deep and dark psychological drama, this movie is not about Russia. This movie is about what it's like to live in a world devoid of love. It exists everywhere but only the most courageous can see it in the mirror and only the strongest can break the cycle.
June 9, 2018
Loveless is a 2017 tragedy film directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev.
There was little about this film that I enjoyed. The pace is slow, the settings are unpleasant, cold and dreary, and the storyline is minimal. Halfway through a significant event occurred, and I hoped that this would add more tension and purpose to the film. But for me, it failed. In the end there was simply no point, and the journey wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. Perhaps if the film was 30 minutes shorter, and the pointless filler scenes were edited out of the movie, then it may have been more watchable and less frustrating. D & MC
AANF GGNF
½ June 4, 2018
Pretty sure I've never watched a Russian film before so Loveless is the first. And it's well named. It focuses on a couple, Zhenya and Boris, in the midst of divorce, they still live together as their apartment is yet to be sold but both have new partners. They actively despise each other. Caught in the middle is their 12 year old son. The parents are so self absorbed Zhenya arrives home one night and goes straight to her room without checking on her son. The next day she receives a call from his school to say he hasn't been there for two days. She and Boris must team up to find their son. They continue to fight, at one point Boris kicks Zhenya out of the car in the middle of nowhere. It's bleakly shot and not tightly edited but it's an interesting take on a disintegrating relationship and the damage it can do to children. Hard to recommend, very good but with a tighter script it could've been as compelling as it sounds.
½ May 26, 2018
A mercilessly morbid portrayal of a family barren of happiness in Andrey Zvyagintsev's second Oscar nomination for Foreign Language Film betrays a societal apocalypse in modern-day Russia.
½ May 15, 2018
Frigido como el invierno ruso,incōmodo, pero eficaz.
May 15, 2018
This Russian movie had a great premise. The actors are good. It's a well-made movie. There's a very interesting soundtrack. The problem is that it' so slow and didn't have the emotional tension I was expecting.
May 12, 2018
Loveless is a stark, brutal and remarkable look at modern Russian society. Beautifully observed and uncompromising it's a masterful take on modern relationships and values. A 12 year boy is stuck in a loveless family that is headed for divorce. When he disappears his parents are forced to face each other and the choices that they have made. It's sad and bleak but like all great films opens a view on the human condition with remarkable results. Shot in grey tones that reveal a harsh Moscow landscape there is so much subtext in this film. It peers deep into the human soul and sometimes the view is not very pleasant.
May 9, 2018
Even if his metaphor and political commentary are a bit too obvious, Zvyagintsev creates a hard-hitting and devastating portrayal of bitterness, dissatisfaction and loneliness in modern Russia as we follow characters who constantly hurt each other and are unable to change.
May 7, 2018
Wonderful, damning portrayal of modern life not only in Russia but everywhere influenced by Western liberalism. At times the satire lacked subtlety, but it was the tragedy that carried the film. Brilliantly shot, as one can happily expect from Zvyagintsev.
½ May 6, 2018
A true relfection of the film name. This film is dark from beginning till the end, and although portrays a fairly honest insight into what is going on in Russia today for many in this day and age, it offers very little connection for the viewer to take a grasp of. Not an enjoyable watch.
½ April 15, 2018
Although the premise is interesting as well as good performances and well shot , it's more of a dialogue driven movie which some find boring , including myself at times
April 13, 2018
Loveless is a movie that will leave you devastated. There are few movies with such power. Acting, direction, musical score are so impeccable, you canīt help but getting sucked into the story. It is a closer look on how emotional violence is passed on by generations, everyone stands as offender and victim, unintended. This message was so strong, you donīt see it, you directly feel it. It is a masterpiece of cinema. I am pretty sure you will leave the theatre changed.
April 9, 2018
Christ, the heart goes out for the Russian nation after this one, the same way it did after Leviathan.

This film felt like a lamentation for the current state of the Russian people brought forth with the intimate tale of a disastrous marriage and divorce.

Being Russian myself, and coming from a less than perfect family, this movie hit home too many times. For me it was a very personal exploration of the deepest recesses of the Russian family. It was done masterfully through disturbingly accurate acting, starkly oppressive cinematography, and an ominously brilliant soundtrack. The way this film managed to interweave grand themes of the degradation of an entire nation and culture, and the more intimate themes of love and abandonment, was deeply impressive. It left a strong lasting impression.

The movie had a very distinct and strong sense of identity and atmosphere. All the cold and impersonal visuals did a great job as the background for our despondent failed couple.

The emotional weight this film carries with it ends up slicing deep, bringing out grief for the current state of affairs, the lovelessness the nation is mired in. This was possible thanks to the amazing job everybody on the technical side of things did; giving this painful tale a beautiful cinematic body.

It feels like a very important and honest introspective film. It tapped into some painful points and I appreciate it for doing so. Another great film by Zvyagintsev.
April 8, 2018
Dysfunctional Russian family on display. These people screwed it up every way possible, and it got costly.

First hour and a half is very well done. Excellent on many levels. The last half hour not so much. But it was still interesting.

Just remember lunch cost $3.70.

For your $8 you get $8.67 of entertainment. About 20 minutes more than you'll want or need.
March 20, 2018
Bleak as fuck, it's a little hard to respond to it emotionally, but maybe that's why it's also an interesting examination on parenting issues and on an even larger scale, the world's desensitization to catastrophic events and war, given its political subtext and backdrop. The performances are very nuanced and whether or not it does its job from an emotional standpoint, there's something here that's depressingly fascinating.
March 17, 2018
Very intense, but incredibly acted and directed.
½ March 16, 2018
A hard-hitting story about a family out of love that is more real than most movies would even go. In a world where we fall away from the conventions of love and marriage, the film warns that maintaining any of those ties to family takes commitment. Those that don't honor that, even apart, pay the price for it. From beginning to end, we see a natural cause and effect as well as why it's difficult to put them back to together once it's broken. From the still camera work to the bits of dialogue, we don't see people talking. We see dogs barking. And what happens when you set these dogs apart, they instantly forget and eat from their own bowls and their own houses. Sad, but true.