Loveless (Nelyubov) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loveless (Nelyubov) Reviews

November 4, 2018
This mesmerizing movie manages to provide both a realistic and heartbreaking story while also providing sharp and subtle social commentary about life in Russia.
October 26, 2018
"Loveless" is a mix of tragedy and reality, and slowly but steadily you will find yourself absorbed in it. It reminded me a pebble falling into water, creating growing circles,and the bigger is the circle, the more the story becomes, indeed, tragic.
Some cut here and there it could have probably improved it, but thanks to a good cinematography, I was willing to overlook this excess of minutes. Uneasy, but more importantly, very good!
October 24, 2018
A Russian couple is struggling. She seem very angry, he seem careless and they are both having affairs and are just waiting to end they're marriage. They have a kid, a boy at twelve, and sadly, they bearly know him. He lives at home, but he only finds hate and stress there. One day he never returns. The parents must work together to get him back - a task that's not easy.

This is a great take on cold marriages. The hunt of wanting so much more without fixing things. It's presented with lovely, cold imagery. Stunning photography matches the dark atmosphere and brutal story. I also like som of the neat alternative camera focuses the director uses. Solid acting and a great pace as the search for the boy intensifies.

Andrey Zvyagintsev has been a favoite for years. "The Return" is still my favorite of his, but this one is up there with "Leviatan" and "Izgnanie". At the same time I feel he is becoming better with each movie. They feel more complete and he's directing feel stronger.

8 out of 10 bases.
½ October 19, 2018
Loveless is the Russian Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language film. This story could be set in any country which makes it that more heartbreaking. A 12 year old runs away from home after hearing a horrific argument between his parents ending in both yelling they don't want custody of him and maybe the best solution would be to place him in an orphanage. He disappears (after two days they parents thinking each other had him) and movie deals with his disappearance. This is quite a compelling movie.
October 5, 2018
Difficult to watch. Modern Russian parents so selfish and morally bankrupt, they crush their child's spirit.
October 2, 2018
Riveting drama from a supremely talented director. Less overtly political than Leviathan, it offers real insights into the dislocation in modern Russia. On a technical note the framing and soundtrack are both excellent as are the performances.
September 19, 2018
Atmospheric family drama that gives insight to modern russian life and beyond.
September 9, 2018
The movie has a terrible plot, where everything is pretty much revealed at the beginning, you don't need to see the actual steps of the movie to understand and predict the characters completely, which makes it very boring. You understand the characters, but they generate no love for them. I stopped caring about what was going to happen around I'm the first third of the movie.

I am surprised Hollywood is so confused it would nominate this torture of a movie to an Oscar. Please, do yourself a favor and don't watch it.
September 6, 2018
This will give your big heart big pain.
August 1, 2018
it isnīt a Russian story, itīs a contemporary story. hard a obvious for a while, Loveless is a parable about iphones, couples, love and sons. You must watch it.
July 28, 2018
Loveless can be seen as a realistic drama or a metaphor but, in any case, its social criticism is obvious.
July 27, 2018
***BEGUILING, UNPREDICTABLE MYSTERY MADE ME FORGET I WAS IN A MOVIE THEATER***
½ June 16, 2018
Although made in the spirit of the Russian traditions of deep and dark psychological drama, this movie is not about Russia. This movie is about what it's like to live in a world devoid of love. It exists everywhere but only the most courageous can see it in the mirror and only the strongest can break the cycle.
June 9, 2018
Loveless is a 2017 tragedy film directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev.
There was little about this film that I enjoyed. The pace is slow, the settings are unpleasant, cold and dreary, and the storyline is minimal. Halfway through a significant event occurred, and I hoped that this would add more tension and purpose to the film. But for me, it failed. In the end there was simply no point, and the journey wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. Perhaps if the film was 30 minutes shorter, and the pointless filler scenes were edited out of the movie, then it may have been more watchable and less frustrating. D & MC
AANF GGNF
½ June 4, 2018
Pretty sure I've never watched a Russian film before so Loveless is the first. And it's well named. It focuses on a couple, Zhenya and Boris, in the midst of divorce, they still live together as their apartment is yet to be sold but both have new partners. They actively despise each other. Caught in the middle is their 12 year old son. The parents are so self absorbed Zhenya arrives home one night and goes straight to her room without checking on her son. The next day she receives a call from his school to say he hasn't been there for two days. She and Boris must team up to find their son. They continue to fight, at one point Boris kicks Zhenya out of the car in the middle of nowhere. It's bleakly shot and not tightly edited but it's an interesting take on a disintegrating relationship and the damage it can do to children. Hard to recommend, very good but with a tighter script it could've been as compelling as it sounds.
½ May 26, 2018
A mercilessly morbid portrayal of a family barren of happiness in Andrey Zvyagintsev's second Oscar nomination for Foreign Language Film betrays a societal apocalypse in modern-day Russia.
½ May 15, 2018
Frigido como el invierno ruso,incōmodo, pero eficaz.
May 15, 2018
This Russian movie had a great premise. The actors are good. It's a well-made movie. There's a very interesting soundtrack. The problem is that it' so slow and didn't have the emotional tension I was expecting.
May 12, 2018
Loveless is a stark, brutal and remarkable look at modern Russian society. Beautifully observed and uncompromising it's a masterful take on modern relationships and values. A 12 year boy is stuck in a loveless family that is headed for divorce. When he disappears his parents are forced to face each other and the choices that they have made. It's sad and bleak but like all great films opens a view on the human condition with remarkable results. Shot in grey tones that reveal a harsh Moscow landscape there is so much subtext in this film. It peers deep into the human soul and sometimes the view is not very pleasant.
May 9, 2018
Even if his metaphor and political commentary are a bit too obvious, Zvyagintsev creates a hard-hitting and devastating portrayal of bitterness, dissatisfaction and loneliness in modern Russia as we follow characters who constantly hurt each other and are unable to change.