Loveless (Nelyubov) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loveless (Nelyubov) Reviews

½ May 15, 2018
Frigido como el invierno ruso,incōmodo, pero eficaz.
May 15, 2018
This Russian movie had a great premise. The actors are good. It's a well-made movie. There's a very interesting soundtrack. The problem is that it' so slow and didn't have the emotional tension I was expecting.
May 12, 2018
Loveless is a stark, brutal and remarkable look at modern Russian society. Beautifully observed and uncompromising it's a masterful take on modern relationships and values. A 12 year boy is stuck in a loveless family that is headed for divorce. When he disappears his parents are forced to face each other and the choices that they have made. It's sad and bleak but like all great films opens a view on the human condition with remarkable results. Shot in grey tones that reveal a harsh Moscow landscape there is so much subtext in this film. It peers deep into the human soul and sometimes the view is not very pleasant.
May 9, 2018
Even if his metaphor and political commentary are a bit too obvious, Zvyagintsev creates a hard-hitting and devastating portrayal of bitterness, dissatisfaction and loneliness in modern Russia as we follow characters who constantly hurt each other and are unable to change.
May 7, 2018
Wonderful, damning portrayal of modern life not only in Russia but everywhere influenced by Western liberalism. At times the satire lacked subtlety, but it was the tragedy that carried the film. Brilliantly shot, as one can happily expect from Zvyagintsev.
½ May 6, 2018
A true relfection of the film name. This film is dark from beginning till the end, and although portrays a fairly honest insight into what is going on in Russia today for many in this day and age, it offers very little connection for the viewer to take a grasp of. Not an enjoyable watch.
½ April 15, 2018
Although the premise is interesting as well as good performances and well shot , it's more of a dialogue driven movie which some find boring , including myself at times
April 13, 2018
Loveless is a movie that will leave you devastated. There are few movies with such power. Acting, direction, musical score are so impeccable, you canīt help but getting sucked into the story. It is a closer look on how emotional violence is passed on by generations, everyone stands as offender and victim, unintended. This message was so strong, you donīt see it, you directly feel it. It is a masterpiece of cinema. I am pretty sure you will leave the theatre changed.
April 9, 2018
Christ, the heart goes out for the Russian nation after this one, the same way it did after Leviathan.

This film felt like a lamentation for the current state of the Russian people brought forth with the intimate tale of a disastrous marriage and divorce.

Being Russian myself, and coming from a less than perfect family, this movie hit home too many times. For me it was a very personal exploration of the deepest recesses of the Russian family. It was done masterfully through disturbingly accurate acting, starkly oppressive cinematography, and an ominously brilliant soundtrack. The way this film managed to interweave grand themes of the degradation of an entire nation and culture, and the more intimate themes of love and abandonment, was deeply impressive. It left a strong lasting impression.

The movie had a very distinct and strong sense of identity and atmosphere. All the cold and impersonal visuals did a great job as the background for our despondent failed couple.

The emotional weight this film carries with it ends up slicing deep, bringing out grief for the current state of affairs, the lovelessness the nation is mired in. This was possible thanks to the amazing job everybody on the technical side of things did; giving this painful tale a beautiful cinematic body.

It feels like a very important and honest introspective film. It tapped into some painful points and I appreciate it for doing so. Another great film by Zvyagintsev.
April 8, 2018
Dysfunctional Russian family on display. These people screwed it up every way possible, and it got costly.

First hour and a half is very well done. Excellent on many levels. The last half hour not so much. But it was still interesting.

Just remember lunch cost $3.70.

For your $8 you get $8.67 of entertainment. About 20 minutes more than you'll want or need.
April 1, 2018
***BEGUILING, UNPREDICTABLE MYSTERY MADE ME FORGET I WAS IN A MOVIE THEATER***
March 20, 2018
Bleak as fuck, it's a little hard to respond to it emotionally, but maybe that's why it's also an interesting examination on parenting issues and on an even larger scale, the world's desensitization to catastrophic events and war, given its political subtext and backdrop. The performances are very nuanced and whether or not it does its job from an emotional standpoint, there's something here that's depressingly fascinating.
March 17, 2018
Very intense, but incredibly acted and directed.
½ March 16, 2018
A hard-hitting story about a family out of love that is more real than most movies would even go. In a world where we fall away from the conventions of love and marriage, the film warns that maintaining any of those ties to family takes commitment. Those that don't honor that, even apart, pay the price for it. From beginning to end, we see a natural cause and effect as well as why it's difficult to put them back to together once it's broken. From the still camera work to the bits of dialogue, we don't see people talking. We see dogs barking. And what happens when you set these dogs apart, they instantly forget and eat from their own bowls and their own houses. Sad, but true.
March 16, 2018
Slow movie that never went anywhere. Would not recommend.
March 14, 2018
This drama is so hard and rough that it balances on the point of unwatchability, in the good sense. In the sense that it is ultra-realistic and to the point. It makes you feel benumb at the end, the nihilism of the movie is boiling, or rather the sick society it depicts.
March 13, 2018
"Loveless", a 2018 Oscar nominee for best foreign language film, from Russia, could have, should have, would have been a powerful picture if the director, Andrey Zvyagintsev, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Oleg Negin, had an editor, Anna Mass, who could have reigned him and the cinematographer, Mikhail Krichman, with less is more. One too many scenes with a cell phone, have one scene with seeing snow through a window, have 3 more, be sure many scenes run 30 seconds to 2 minutes too long and throw in a few that do nothing but extend the movie's running time and take away from the drama unfolding on the screen.

Necessary scenes at the beginning set up what takes place later. We meet 12-year-old Alexey (Matvey Novikov) as he overhears his soon to be divorced parents arguing and neither wanting custody of him. They are trying to sell their apartment. His father, Boris, (Aleksey Rozin) is a middle management desk salesman who works where divorce is a sin and could cost him his job. Meanwhile, he is living with his new, now pregnant, girlfriend, Marsha (Marina Vasilyeva) in her mother's home. Alexey's mother, Zhenya, (Maryana Spivak) owns a beauty salon and spends many hours with her new lover, Anton, (Andris Keishs), who, by the way, has a home I would love to live in! She is also strongly attached to her cell phone as both the director and cinematographer constantly, needlessly, show us her using it.

After all this is established we understand Alexey disappearing and his parents not even knowing it until his teacher calls to ask why he hasn't been in school for 2 days. The film then turns into the search for the boy, mainly by civilian volunteers as it seems the police have neither the men, the money or the time to search for all the kids missing.

The search, led by Ivan (Alesky Fateev), takes up the major part of the film with, once again, too many long and repetitive scenes that undermines the suspense. There are many detours from the main story such as meeting Zhenya's mother (Nataliya Potapova) Marsha's mother (Anna Gulyarenko) plus a co-worker (Roman Madyanov) but we are always taken back to the search of the forests, buildings, rivers and surroundings. We are given a thorough lesson in what is involved in a search for a kid who may have run away or been kidnapped or met some disaster that no parent wants to face.

The basic premises of the marriage and the search for the disappearing boy are what makes the movie so interesting but there are one too many cell phone scenes--yes we get it that Russians are as tied to them as Americans and other countries are--snow scenes and, yes, too many sex scenes!

There is a lot of politics in the movie including the USA election in 2012 but the last shot of Zhenya jogging on a treadmill wearing a red sweatsuit emblazed with RUSSIA across the front went right over my head if it means anything.

"Loveless" will be an excellent movie when you can fast-forward the repetitive scenes and photography and slow it down each time--and there are many, yes, even too many---Anton's house is shown.
March 13, 2018
more depressing than compelling. the Parents are too narcissistic to care for or empathize with. in the end, they remain narcissistic, even with new mates. Why should i care?
½ March 4, 2018
Boris and Zhenya are an extremely unhappy married couple in the process of getting a divorce. Though they both have new romantic partners (Boris' girlfriend is very pregnant), they still share the same Moscow apartment which they're trying to sell. It would be bad enough if they just hated each other's guts, but neither of them wants custody of their shy 12-year-old son, Alyosha, and they loudly argue about whether to send him to boarding school or to live with Zhenya's wretched mother (who doesn't want him either). Unbeknownst to them, Alyosha hears the whole thing. (The whole building probably hears the whole thing). When he leaves for school the next morning, he never comes home. But neither do either of his parents (they both have sleepovers), so he's been missing for over a day before anyone even notices.

There have been few movie characters who I've found as unlikable as Zhenya. In the course of a two-hour movie, she tells three different people that she only married Boris because she was pregnant and that she should have aborted Alyosha, who she openly mocks in front of strangers. Her new boyfriend, who has a grown daughter who he actually loves, responds with the Russian equivalent of "that's cool" when she tells him this. What?? No, dude. I don't care how good the sex is...when your girlfriend tells you she wishes she had aborted her son and was too repulsed to even look at him when he was born, that right there should be a deal-breaker.

Boris is no great shakes as a parent either. He seems to care about Alyosha at least a little bit, but not enough to want him encumbering his new life. He apparently never loved Zhenya either, and as ridiculous as this sounds, only married her because his very religious boss requires all of his employees to be married.

Meanwhile Alyosha is missing. Searches are conducted and fliers are posted and hospitals are checked and people are interviewed and Zhenya remains a self-absorbed, bitter, Facebook-addicted shrew and Boris remains emotionally-stunted but at least he participates in the search effort.

Though this movie is purportedly about Alyosha's mysterious disappearance and tons of screen time is dedicated to showing the search efforts, finding him is almost beside the point. Not for me - I was all in on trying to solve the mystery - but apparently for whoever wrote the screenplay, who basically uses Alyosha as a prop to highlight his parent's unhappy lives.

I've skimmed a few reviews that all seem to think that the movie is filled with symbolism about modern-day Russia and blah blah blah, but I got a C-minus in freshman English for my refusal to believe that there's more to every story than the literal interpretation, so how the hell do I know.

No matter how you slice it, this is one majorly depressing movie. You know how some movies start out kind of happy and then at some point take a downward turn? Well that's not this one. Starts depressing, stays depressing throughout. No happy people, no happy scenes. Not a single moment of levity.

Enjoy.