Magic Mike - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic Mike Reviews

June 25, 2016
Hot half naked guys dancing on stage stripping ... a woman's best movie ever
June 14, 2016
Honestly thought that this was going to be some silly comedy, but it goes much deeper than that. If anything this is more of a serious type of drama. Who knew the life of a male stripper would be so dark? Hm.. I could have done without all the :ahem: 'dance scenes', but I knew what I was going into in regards to that. Actually not that bad of a movie, color me surprised.
November 3, 2012
From what everybody was telling me, I was expecting this to be funnier. Too much stripping, not enough content in my opinion.
March 17, 2016
This was HOT! Channing Tatum best performance and Alex Pettyfer was not far behind he held his own. All the guys in this film were hot, even kevin nash did a great job. Very entertaining, and strong performances.
½ June 1, 2016
Inspired by Channing Tatum's own career trajectory as an eighteen-year-old exotic dancer,
Magic Mike is a unique combination of salacious stripping, boy-meets-girl romance and monument
to narcissistic indulgence.

Jarring the dressing room door open is ever versatile director Steve Soderberg. Starting light and getting progressively darker, his signature unique camera angles slyly deliver sex, illusion, comedy and drama. The well-staged dance routines and concept bring the best out of his actors but sadly the film as a whole feels somewhat disjointed and incomplete.

By day, Mike (Channing Tatum) is a builders' laborer, pet groomer and one-of-a-kind furniture marker; but by night 'Magic' Mike's entrepreneurial skills really shine -much like his well-oiled body,
supplementing his income as the headline stripper for Tampa Florida's flagship hot-spot, Xquisite.
Charismatic still-got-it forty-something club compere, Dallas (Matthew McConaughey) is his
fast-talking boss that turns sleaze into an art form.

Retired from the stage, he constantly reiterates his plans to take his marginally successfully show to
Miami big-time with the help of Main Man Mike and his uncanny ability to attract the ladies.

Although he would prefer to hand over his hard earned $13,000 to the bank as collateral to pursue
his carpentry creating dreams, he can't walk away from the endless supply of cash, drugs and drunken women who hurl themselves in his direction.

Whilst at one of his many day jobs, Mike meets naive 19-year-old college-drop-out Adam (Alex
Pettyfer). When the transient Adam once again stuffs-up a chance at keeping a job, Mike takes him
for a drink at a local nightclub. Whilst chatting up young girls over shots, Mike hands them a
promotional flyer for Club X, promising an outrageous night for their 21st birthday celebrations.

Although initially shocked by Mike's professional disclosure, the impressionable Adam tags along for the night's escapades. Under duress from Mike, Dallas concedes to giving Adam - derisorily nicknamed 'the kid' - a trial job in props. Introductions to Mikes fellow dancers; Big Dick Richie, Ken, Tito and Tarzan (Joe Channing Tatum stars as 'Magic' Mike Martingano and Matthew McConaughey stars as Dallas in Magic Mike.

Manganiello, Matt Bomer, Adam Rodriguez, Kevin Nash) each with their own unique set of talents proves the job might be somewhat inappropriate. But when Tarzan's act flops last minute, inspiration strikes and Mike convinces 'The kid' to take to the stage. His awkwardly shy, first-timer innocence is an instant hit with an eager audience of screaming ladies; desperate to shove handfuls of dollar bills into his saggy everyday underwear. They love it; and so does Dallas realizing he has found the missing piece for his destined-to-be famous floorshow.

Adam quickly embraces his new lifestyle; however, his protective levelheaded sister Brooke (Cody Horn) disapproves of it and Mike. Undeterred, Adam plunges head long into the industry and everything it entails from flag baring G-strings to designer drugs. But can Adam handle the industry? Will Mike achieve his real goal to make furniture? Will Alex or Brooke derail his plans?

Making money whilst shaking your tackle at women may seem demeaning, but according to Magic Mike and friends, it is also an ultimately gratifying career choice and a lovely perve for the rest of us. The cast is jammed full of sculpted buff Lotharios dancing and gyrating through the first mainstream male stripper flick since 1997's The Fully Monty with exotic entertaining easy.

Tatum literally reveals himself to be a true leading man, a future standout from the new Hollywood acting crop as both dramatic and funny; and boy can he dance. Kevin Bacon would be proud.

The perfect actor for this role as a swaggering show-business sleaze; McConaughey hypnotically and salaciously strokes his way into the female physic in this mouth-wateringly and self-spoofing performance. Taunting the club goers and movie goers alike, "Can you touch this? No! No! No!" the entire cinema sighs in disappointment.

Although Pettyfer looks the part, he doesn't have the chemistry for the role or with his fellow actors and Manganiello and Bomer never really get enough camera time to engage. Horn however is wonderful, providing not only the voice of reason but a grounded and palpable chemistry with Tatum.

The choreography, costumes and production looks as slick and professional as its leads. The body work of the living, breathing sex machines is enough to help any modern woman vent her post-work frustrations even if the story is less than realistic or convincing. This is a definite tune out piece and nothing more, do not try to uncover meaning or depth, it is all spelt out in lowly monosyllabic words.

The Verdict: Although the female targeted titillation never quite reaches a satisfactory climax, there are some wonderfully orgasmic moments to be had.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/08/2012
April 24, 2016
If your first assumption is that Magic Mike is about strippers who are caught up in the life of sex, drugs, and alcohol, you're right. However, this movie surprisingly has more depth to it than that. The movie has something for everyone, from beautiful men dressed in less-to-nothing, to interesting characters with more-than-one layer, to a well-written story with well-placed twists and turns.
Throughout the movie, Steven Soderbergh uses cinematography, music, and an insightful script to give the audience an exploratory view of Magic Mike's desperate search for meaning in his life.
Channing Tatum, who plays Magic Mike, will captivate you with the facade of a confident man who knows what he wants by night. By day, however, a literal light is shed on a man who is stuck in a reality he does not belong in. While Mike is stripping the audience is treated to a world filled with vibrant colors, quick camera shots, and energetic acting. Off stage, however, a distinct yellow camera filter is used to represent Mike;'s drawn-out hangover. The movie's soundtrack is also dramatically different from scene to scene, using hip, modern music to highlight the stripper's irresponsible nightlife activities, and gloomier music in the daytime, which allows the audience to see how heavy Mike's situation really is.
When Mike comes across Adam (Alex Pettyfer), who is ignorant to his own moral crisis, and Adam's protective older sister (Cody Horn), it becomes clear to Mike that his life choices affect more than himself. As Mike's attitude changes, the movie becomes less energetic and more dramatic.
Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, and Matthew McConaughey can all put on a show, but McConaughey's talent deserves way more than one dollar bills. While Channing Tatum's dance moves are a definite crowd pleaser, McConaughey portrayal of Dallas steals scenes with swagger alone. His ability to capture Dallas' charisma and borderline sociopathic behavior is unmatched among the cast.Overall,
Magic Mike's biggest surprise is its surprising depth. While most audience members expected the movie to be a gaudy sex-romp, which it is, it is also a character-driven piece that teaches a lesson about the dangers of an excessive lifestyle. Soderburgh and the cast have taken a movie that could've been a shallow film meant only for twenty-something girls that want to ogle Channing Tatum and turned it into a enjoyable film.
February 26, 2013
Finally gave this a look with the wife and another couple, and I have to say that I really dug it quite a bit. Channing Tatum has begun to really win me over with a series of serio-comic roles, and this really went a long way towards cementing that as he carries the film with his dream of something more than the partying lifestyle he's using to make ends meet.

It's good stuff, and if you'd told me I'd ever in a million years give a shit about a movie about male strippers, I'd have probably told you that you were out of your fuggin' mind, but here we go, with numerous re-watches, including turning other people on to it along the way.

Recommended.
April 10, 2016
Decent enough move to keep you entertained but the pace is a little slow for this type of movie, also some actors are very stiff and look to be disinterested at times.
½ May 28, 2012
I forgot to rate this but Channing Tatum mmmmmmmm...
½ November 5, 2012
Great film story is a bit slow to start with but all together great film
½ March 28, 2016
Mike is a 30-year-old male stripper who dreams of owning his own business making custom furniture. He takes as an apprentice a 19-year-old man, Adam, who can't hold down any other job. As Adam is beguiled by the easy money, drugs, and women, Mike starts to realize his stripper job is holding him back. Channing Tatum gives a very good performance as Mike, trying to protect Adam from the more insidious aspects of the stripper life and realizing that the allure is just too strong, even for Mike himself. The film has an interesting visual style; all the exterior scenes are filmed through a yellow filter, making the outdoors look flat and washed out. The dance club scenes, by contrast, are extremely vivid in their lights and colours. The film doesn't exactly condemn the stripper ethos, but it does show it as incompatible with our nobler instincts.
March 27, 2016
Fairly interesting and entertaining overall with a slick look and good direction but the acting was weak. The film could have been a lot better with a better cast, especially among most of the supporting cast, and while the script and story was good, the end was unsatisfying.
March 26, 2016
Channing is hot movie is great
½ August 1, 2013
Tatum is enjoyable, and McConaughey is hilarious. But something about this oddly-paced and ill-toned stripper dramedy is weird. I could almost feel it begging me to like it. Sure, it's better than the pure sexual tantalizer it seemed to be, but only slightly.
March 4, 2016
I am a gay male and I saw it with my sassy black girl friend. We both kept looking at each other and rolling our eyes through the entire movie. The script was boring as hell. We both found ourselves zoning during the scenes with his girlfriend. The only good dance sequences were Tatum's solos. I mean...all it takes is clever editing and you can make group numbers look good. They couldn't even manage that. And America jumped on the band wagon and branded Showgirls the worst film???? Please.This film was awful!
February 19, 2016
For being a late-period Soderbergh film, Magic Mike is surprisingly amateurish. The cinematography is drenched in a blasted yellow tint reminiscent of the DSLR short films I made in high school, the script is dry and inconsequential, and the improv-heavy interplay between the characters carries on to the point of boredom.

That's not to say the movie doesn't have its moments. This was one of the first hints of Channing Tatum's range apart from being simple eye candy (though the film throws a lot of that in too). Matthew McConaughey is also a thrill to watch although his sputtering character arc feels like a missed opportunity.

If you're coming to see hot guys dancing, there's plenty of that here, but the sequel may be more of your scene. At least it doesn't try and fail to stuff a character study between the glistening bods. 4.1/10
February 15, 2016
I'm sorry, why were people seeing this and raving about it? Says nothing new. I confirmed that I would get kicked out of a strip club for laughing.

This movie was way way too long.
½ February 9, 2016
The big draw of Magic Mike is, well, the strippers. It's always the strippers, isn't it? However, while far from Soderbergh's best work, the film possesses the stylistic motifs of its director and tells a surprisingly engaging story. Channing Tatum delivers a confident starring role, no surprise as the plot draws loosely from his life experience. Matthew McConaughey effectively portrays an exaggerated version of his real personality, while the rest of the male stripping crew do a good job of that, and are asked to little else. At the end of the night, it's a nice helping of beefcake with a little extra story meat on the side.
February 7, 2016
An interesting and different film.
½ January 23, 2016
Quite honestly my first time to see this stripper movie with a heart.