Magic Mike - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic Mike Reviews

November 20, 2016
I heard so many times over the last four years that this movie was underrated that it was probably overrated by the time I saw it. Much better than I would have expected when it came out and perfectly enjoyable, but nothing amazing.

Grade: B
November 19, 2016
Strong 4/5. This thing was a blast. Plenty of fun while being simultaneously unsettling, intense and even a little heartfelt. There's a lot thrown into the mix and not everything feels completely resolved at the end but Magic Mike stunned me with its style and surprising narrative heft. I guess now I'll have to see how the sequel compares.
October 30, 2016
The plot is questionable, but as soon as the guys are dancing there's movie magic.
½ October 11, 2016
Es mejor de lo que creí, me gustó mucho que se enfocaron mucho en los personajes, más que en los shows, Channing Tatum hace un bien papel y entendible y que llega al público, la historia es más profunda de lo que parece.
September 16, 2016
I'd heard so much about this film, so I finally caved in, but i'm disappointed. I was hoping for some comradery among the Xquisite boys, instead of ambition and betrayal. Mike is betrayed and replaced, and finds potential for love only once he quits stripping. A really pointless and regressive conclusion to a film with so much naked men in it. Channing Tatum has a truly wonderful, vulnerable, and sincerely uncomfortable scene in the film that redeemed the time I thought I lost watching this.
½ August 29, 2016
Good like Guys and Story
August 29, 2016
So much hype. I wasn't impressed. At. All.
½ August 20, 2016
An American version of the Full Monty which may or may not be an attempt at comedy; I'm not quite sure, I don't remember it being funny at all but I have a feeling it was supposed to be in places. It was actually a very boring film obviously made by and for actors who needed an opportunity to show off their six packs.
½ August 18, 2016
It's not a movie about male stripping; it's a movie about people. It's far smarter and richer than many give it credit for.
½ August 15, 2016
Will you welcome to the stage, the one, the only... Magic Mike!
½ July 16, 2016
Aside from the obvious reasons, there's very little of value here. Where it's at it's most interesting is when shining a light on the seedy/addictive side of the industry - eg. The Wrestler for male strippers.
July 13, 2016
This was funny, sexy, and very interesting. It did feel like it was dragging along at times. But other than that it was a decent watch.
July 4, 2016
Nada siuk!! Inda jua chali
June 25, 2016
Hot half naked guys dancing on stage stripping ... a woman's best movie ever
June 14, 2016
Honestly thought that this was going to be some silly comedy, but it goes much deeper than that. If anything this is more of a serious type of drama. Who knew the life of a male stripper would be so dark? Hm.. I could have done without all the :ahem: 'dance scenes', but I knew what I was going into in regards to that. Actually not that bad of a movie, color me surprised.
June 9, 2016
From what everybody was telling me, I was expecting this to be funnier. Too much stripping, not enough content in my opinion.
June 8, 2016
This was HOT! Channing Tatum best performance and Alex Pettyfer was not far behind he held his own. All the guys in this film were hot, even kevin nash did a great job. Very entertaining, and strong performances.
½ June 1, 2016
Inspired by Channing Tatum's own career trajectory as an eighteen-year-old exotic dancer,
Magic Mike is a unique combination of salacious stripping, boy-meets-girl romance and monument
to narcissistic indulgence.

Jarring the dressing room door open is ever versatile director Steve Soderberg. Starting light and getting progressively darker, his signature unique camera angles slyly deliver sex, illusion, comedy and drama. The well-staged dance routines and concept bring the best out of his actors but sadly the film as a whole feels somewhat disjointed and incomplete.

By day, Mike (Channing Tatum) is a builders' laborer, pet groomer and one-of-a-kind furniture marker; but by night 'Magic' Mike's entrepreneurial skills really shine -much like his well-oiled body,
supplementing his income as the headline stripper for Tampa Florida's flagship hot-spot, Xquisite.
Charismatic still-got-it forty-something club compere, Dallas (Matthew McConaughey) is his
fast-talking boss that turns sleaze into an art form.

Retired from the stage, he constantly reiterates his plans to take his marginally successfully show to
Miami big-time with the help of Main Man Mike and his uncanny ability to attract the ladies.

Although he would prefer to hand over his hard earned $13,000 to the bank as collateral to pursue
his carpentry creating dreams, he can't walk away from the endless supply of cash, drugs and drunken women who hurl themselves in his direction.

Whilst at one of his many day jobs, Mike meets naive 19-year-old college-drop-out Adam (Alex
Pettyfer). When the transient Adam once again stuffs-up a chance at keeping a job, Mike takes him
for a drink at a local nightclub. Whilst chatting up young girls over shots, Mike hands them a
promotional flyer for Club X, promising an outrageous night for their 21st birthday celebrations.

Although initially shocked by Mike's professional disclosure, the impressionable Adam tags along for the night's escapades. Under duress from Mike, Dallas concedes to giving Adam - derisorily nicknamed 'the kid' - a trial job in props. Introductions to Mikes fellow dancers; Big Dick Richie, Ken, Tito and Tarzan (Joe Channing Tatum stars as 'Magic' Mike Martingano and Matthew McConaughey stars as Dallas in Magic Mike.

Manganiello, Matt Bomer, Adam Rodriguez, Kevin Nash) each with their own unique set of talents proves the job might be somewhat inappropriate. But when Tarzan's act flops last minute, inspiration strikes and Mike convinces 'The kid' to take to the stage. His awkwardly shy, first-timer innocence is an instant hit with an eager audience of screaming ladies; desperate to shove handfuls of dollar bills into his saggy everyday underwear. They love it; and so does Dallas realizing he has found the missing piece for his destined-to-be famous floorshow.

Adam quickly embraces his new lifestyle; however, his protective levelheaded sister Brooke (Cody Horn) disapproves of it and Mike. Undeterred, Adam plunges head long into the industry and everything it entails from flag baring G-strings to designer drugs. But can Adam handle the industry? Will Mike achieve his real goal to make furniture? Will Alex or Brooke derail his plans?

Making money whilst shaking your tackle at women may seem demeaning, but according to Magic Mike and friends, it is also an ultimately gratifying career choice and a lovely perve for the rest of us. The cast is jammed full of sculpted buff Lotharios dancing and gyrating through the first mainstream male stripper flick since 1997's The Fully Monty with exotic entertaining easy.

Tatum literally reveals himself to be a true leading man, a future standout from the new Hollywood acting crop as both dramatic and funny; and boy can he dance. Kevin Bacon would be proud.

The perfect actor for this role as a swaggering show-business sleaze; McConaughey hypnotically and salaciously strokes his way into the female physic in this mouth-wateringly and self-spoofing performance. Taunting the club goers and movie goers alike, "Can you touch this? No! No! No!" the entire cinema sighs in disappointment.

Although Pettyfer looks the part, he doesn't have the chemistry for the role or with his fellow actors and Manganiello and Bomer never really get enough camera time to engage. Horn however is wonderful, providing not only the voice of reason but a grounded and palpable chemistry with Tatum.

The choreography, costumes and production looks as slick and professional as its leads. The body work of the living, breathing sex machines is enough to help any modern woman vent her post-work frustrations even if the story is less than realistic or convincing. This is a definite tune out piece and nothing more, do not try to uncover meaning or depth, it is all spelt out in lowly monosyllabic words.

The Verdict: Although the female targeted titillation never quite reaches a satisfactory climax, there are some wonderfully orgasmic moments to be had.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/08/2012
April 24, 2016
If your first assumption is that Magic Mike is about strippers who are caught up in the life of sex, drugs, and alcohol, you're right. However, this movie surprisingly has more depth to it than that. The movie has something for everyone, from beautiful men dressed in less-to-nothing, to interesting characters with more-than-one layer, to a well-written story with well-placed twists and turns.
Throughout the movie, Steven Soderbergh uses cinematography, music, and an insightful script to give the audience an exploratory view of Magic Mike's desperate search for meaning in his life.
Channing Tatum, who plays Magic Mike, will captivate you with the facade of a confident man who knows what he wants by night. By day, however, a literal light is shed on a man who is stuck in a reality he does not belong in. While Mike is stripping the audience is treated to a world filled with vibrant colors, quick camera shots, and energetic acting. Off stage, however, a distinct yellow camera filter is used to represent Mike;'s drawn-out hangover. The movie's soundtrack is also dramatically different from scene to scene, using hip, modern music to highlight the stripper's irresponsible nightlife activities, and gloomier music in the daytime, which allows the audience to see how heavy Mike's situation really is.
When Mike comes across Adam (Alex Pettyfer), who is ignorant to his own moral crisis, and Adam's protective older sister (Cody Horn), it becomes clear to Mike that his life choices affect more than himself. As Mike's attitude changes, the movie becomes less energetic and more dramatic.
Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, and Matthew McConaughey can all put on a show, but McConaughey's talent deserves way more than one dollar bills. While Channing Tatum's dance moves are a definite crowd pleaser, McConaughey portrayal of Dallas steals scenes with swagger alone. His ability to capture Dallas' charisma and borderline sociopathic behavior is unmatched among the cast.Overall,
Magic Mike's biggest surprise is its surprising depth. While most audience members expected the movie to be a gaudy sex-romp, which it is, it is also a character-driven piece that teaches a lesson about the dangers of an excessive lifestyle. Soderburgh and the cast have taken a movie that could've been a shallow film meant only for twenty-something girls that want to ogle Channing Tatum and turned it into a enjoyable film.
April 14, 2016
Finally gave this a look with the wife and another couple, and I have to say that I really dug it quite a bit. Channing Tatum has begun to really win me over with a series of serio-comic roles, and this really went a long way towards cementing that as he carries the film with his dream of something more than the partying lifestyle he's using to make ends meet.

It's good stuff, and if you'd told me I'd ever in a million years give a shit about a movie about male strippers, I'd have probably told you that you were out of your fuggin' mind, but here we go, with numerous re-watches, including turning other people on to it along the way.

Recommended.