Magic Mike - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic Mike Reviews

August 25, 2017
It goes overboard with the depictions of stripping and sexual shenanigans, but Magic Mike also has a surprisingly mature story, brought to the screen by a talented director and cast.
August 22, 2017
starts off well and its engaging however the further the movie progresses the less apparent the storyline is
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 Polished and glamorous, it is quite entertaining once you forget that it describes a disney fairytale with strippers.
August 16, 2017
A stylish, erotic, and often times funny drama film that evaluates the glammer and darkness in the life of a male stripper and offers great performances from Tatum and his fellow cast members, even if the story doesn't quite have the meat that's presented in stage.
½ July 28, 2017
Magic Mike is not only an entertaining male stripper movie for the cougars, it's also a compelling character study for movie fans who want to see a good Steven Soderbergh movie, with great performances from Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey.
July 22, 2017
This movie is lame! The description makes you think that you are going to watch a drama about a guy with great aspirations towards being a furniture designer, but that storyline is way in the back, very much overshadowed by a lot of corny man dancing and one night standing. 3/4 of the way though, I figured this movie has no plot and gave up. It got boring.
July 19, 2017
This made no sense.
Matthew McConaughey looks anorexic.
July 15, 2017
Surprisingly good story considering its content.
While this is blatantly a vehicle to show of Tatumā(TM)s dancing skills and also one obviously geared to bring legions of female fans for each respective Hollywood stud and the removal of their clothes, it is still an interesting film worthy of staying till the end credits. It is well acted by all concerned - there is an almost adlib quality to some of the dialogue, frantic exchanges often overlapping each other, lending an aspect of realism to the whole piece.

Itā(TM)s not going to win any Oscars, but it certainly surprised me with how engaging it actually was. A film not be taken at face value...
July 4, 2017
This movie was awesome, it has a lot of good performances all around but especially Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey, it's also great that they can make me care about male strippers.
June 17, 2017
Worth to see Channing Tatum
June 3, 2017
Entertaining, but a little droll.
May 2, 2017
I'd heard so much about this film, so I finally caved in, but i'm disappointed. I was hoping for some comradery among the Xquisite boys, instead of ambition and betrayal. Mike is betrayed and replaced, and finds potential for love only once he quits stripping. A really pointless and regressive conclusion to a film with so many naked men in it. Channing Tatum has a truly wonderful, vulnerable, and sincerely uncomfortable scene in the film that redeemed the time I thought I lost watching this.
April 17, 2017
Solid portrayl of life
½ April 6, 2017
No male nudity , wanted to see massive junk swinging about.
½ April 3, 2017
The Do's and Dont's of the Beefcake stripper world.
½ March 30, 2017
My male instincts told me not to start this movie tonight. After I started it, my male instincts told me that I should turn this movie off. After I finished it my male instincts told me that I should hate it... However, despite all that, I actually kind of liked Magic Mike. Now I know how that sounds but hear me out; first of all this is a gorgeous looking movie, with really great performances. All the actors had really great chemistry and I enjoyed seeing them play off of each other; and I'm not talking about during the dance scenes. The dialogue between these actors was great. It felt so real, and it really made me feel bad for some of the characters. Yes it has guys "dancing" in it, but at its core Magic Mike is a film that takes a dark look at the striper lifestyle, and examines how that lifestyle can affect someone in a negative way. I never thought that I would say this but I enjoyed Magic Mike.
March 17, 2017
It was disappointing. Story was slow and it wasn't at all funny. I guess I'm glad I saw the movie, because now I know for sure I don't want to go to a male strip club.
½ March 4, 2017
All the pretty bodies (and that doesn't include McC's which wasn't), could NOT make up for McC's put on accent, stilted conversation and no plot. Didn't make it past the first newbies first night as the gopher.
I like looking at Tatum, but he should stick to GI Joe, where's he's actually pretty good.
McC needs to stick to Lincoln commercials.
Iglesias to comedy.
½ February 24, 2017
Much more than just a chick flick with a lot of abs (or the campy trailer).

That doesn't mean the abs are any less than FANTASTIC though. I give an extra full star just for that part alone. Eye candies like this doesn't come often enough for us lady viewers.
February 22, 2017
I never thought that a movie that had Channing Tatum as the main character could be so bad. But Magic Mike changed that thought. Magic Mike is a comedy/drama film that was written in 2012 and directed by Steven Soderbergh. Don't get me wrong, myself plus a lot of women would like to see Channing Tatum shirtless but overall it was a poor movie all around.
This film is about a so-called entrepreneur, Mike, who makes a living by stripping. He has a day job, roofing houses, but he isn't making as much money as he would like to so he strips. Mike genuinely does want to change his life around but cannot seem to leave behind his stripping days and doesn't want to live without that security blanket of money. Throughout the movie, Mike mentors a young 19-year-old, Adam, and eventually has a fling with Adam's overprotective sister, Brooke.
Soderbergh decided that he couldn't have a movie just made up of stripping so he decided to squeeze a love story in-between all the erotic dancing. The viewers then saw the movie as a "romance" and totally disregarded the pointlessness of this movie. This so-called love affair didn't make the movie better but just added an unbelievable love story and made it more of a mess than it already is. The movie has no main plot and everything is all over the place.
The movie plain and simple was just the newest film that emphasized stripping and drew in women as the audience through the sex appeal of the movie. Some critics say that this movie was supposed to reflect upon Channing Tatum's life before he got to be the actor that he is now but the movie was still irrelevant and there are better ways to reflect on someone's life other than an exotic film.
Another problem that I must address is it is hard to believe that Mike is conservative with his money. The audience is supposed to have the impression that Mike is wealthy and doesn't like to spend money the director puts things in the movie that contradict that. He has Mike driving a brand-new truck and living in this fancy apartment. Mike is seen as the one who likes to party in the movie and is always buying drinks for everyone and spending his money. This doesn't emphasize that he is conservative with his money but shows that he is reckless with it.
One more criticism I would have to give this film would be that the actors and actresses have no emotions into the characters they are playing. You cannot feel the character's feelings and emotions that you should. Brooke is played by Cody Horn and she would have to be the worst one in the film. She doesn't seem to care about anything throughout the movie and she seems confused about everything. Her character as no body and has no passion.
The plot confusion, irrelevance, and poor acting were three main elements that contributed to making this film one of the worst ones out there. Definitely not a valid movie that was worth the time to see and was quite a disappointment.