Margin Call - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Margin Call Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
This was very good. Fast-moving and kept my interest. I'd recommend even if you're not into financial subject matter.
July 12, 2016
One movie that talking about handling wrong-prediction on a company in one night. This full-of-tense movie is easy to understand and really good on story telling.
½ July 12, 2016
Great movie, absorbing one of the major points of the global economic crisis.
½ July 11, 2016
A well crafted drama with several good performances, "Margin Call" deftly handles the 2008 economic crash using an intelligent, finely tuned narrative.
June 10, 2016
Tense thriller! Good watch! Enjoy!
½ June 6, 2016
Good movie. Not thrilled with the ending.
½ June 4, 2016
A film with an interesting and entertaining plot, supported by great performances. It has a very good setting, flowing into the storyline and providing a rich product to the viewers. It is not a movie for every audience though; an economic based plot seems flat and boring, but this film takes a turn on that and delivers perfectly. It's definitely a very well done product, and a must-see film.
½ June 3, 2016
"Margin Call" is a thoroughly engaging, thought-provoking flick chronically one financial firm on the brink before the 2008 near collapse of the US economy.

Kevin Spacey leads a talented cast that includes Jeremy Irons and Stanley Tucci. The acting matches the production and the film is complicated but simplified so the viewer cares about what is going to happen. It's a fine film that is up there with "The Big Short" as to what you may not want to know about Wall Street.
½ May 26, 2016
Good look at the Wall Street side of the market crash..big bad bankers. Started out better, gets a bit slow
½ May 26, 2016
Its a smaller scale movie than The Big Short thats easier to understand.
½ April 30, 2016
I enjoyed it. The acting is good and the story is interesting. I think it may not appeal to everyone. There weren't any dynamic characters and they were all simple. They could've made the story more compelling by showing some of the effects of the sell-off outside the firm. It was enjoyable for me, but not recommended for all people.
April 23, 2016
Great performances from all the cast as, however the film at times feels slow part of that is because they are too many characters too focus on, aside from that the story is good if you like business movies, In the end, its a good movie.
March 28, 2016
Thought this was very good. Stellar cast.
March 16, 2016
"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."
February 27, 2016
Good movie, but also probably the most vague story I've ever seen. People fired for some reason; mysterious thumb drive; unknown terrible thing happening; people scared about stuff (losing their money--I got that one); secret bosses; shady deals; more people being scared. It's clearly about credit default swaps or collateralized debt obligations or subprime mortgage bundles or something like those in 2008. I guess that makes it more timeless so that it fits any financial crisis. After seeing the Big Short which relentlessly went after Wall Street for the mortgage crisis, this is a bit disappointing because of how it only explains the bad effects of their trades using the fear of rich traders and executives losing money.
February 23, 2016
An absolutely brilliant screenplay! JC Chandor is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. A Most Violent Year got little to no love from the Academy last year but it is important to acknowledge that Chandor hits all points dead on. The performances are solid, the cast is brilliant, the script and dialogue are sophisticated, dynamic, and sensible, while the direction is clear, motivated, and unique. Chandor has a knack for turning otherwise boring and dull concepts into superbly crafted human dramas.
½ February 21, 2016
Phenomenal acting - loved it.
February 15, 2016
I want to start off by telling you all to prepare to pay attention. In Star Trek, if you don't understand or care for the "technobabble" then the odds are that you won't hold a significant interest in the story. In Margin Call, you're going to need to pay attention to the smallest details to fully appreciate the gravity of the situation. This film has an incredible cast that each do a phenomenal job of not only expressing what will happen if they go through with their business saving plan (no spoilers!), but they make this artificial problem feel so real. At several points throughout the film, you may feel genuine anger at certain choices as they remind you of real, major incidents. The story takes place at the beginning of the 2007/2008 financial crisis with who I more and more believe is the most underappreciated actor in Hollywood. Everyone knows who Stanley Tucci is, but I don't believe many people go to the theater just to see him. I very much believe that he's worth the price of admission in every film he stars in. That leads me to what I feel was one of the biggest negatives of the movie. Margin Call gives every character a grand introduction and tells the audience to pay attention to their every move because they're about to shake things up! Sadly, that more often than not does not come to be. Stanley Tucci, Zachary Quinto, and Paul Bettany all have important moments, but not nearly as many you will come to expect. Kevin Spacey is undoubtedly the star of this film and I don't need to mention how flawless his performance was as that is a given at this point. The problem with that however was that I felt after a certain point, almost too much attention went to Spacey. I love seeing him as much as anyone else, but the continuing A-list cast of Demi Moore, Jeremy Irons and more had to often take a back seat. I will say though that Jeremy Irons was given a bit more depth to his character and was one of the few given a chance to properly explain who his character is. I won't say exactly what happened at the end of the film, but I will say that it could have been better. It will make complete sense in the story, but you'll see what I mean when you see it. Margin Call is smart, well acted, and at least to me who enjoys business related films, entertaining. It sadly however did not take full advantage of its cast and at times could be sluggish, despite everything they had to work with. With all of that being said, it is still one of the better business movies to come out in recent years.
½ February 8, 2016
Great cast and some truly gripping performances, exception being Moore who appeared to be the token woman, and Quinto who looked baffled throughout. I admit I haven't a clue what the money troubles meant, other than being aware of the crash in history but I got the general gist. Horrifying at the cold bloodedness of the men who sold everyone down the river, then rubbed their hands together when they realised that, for them, this was just another blip, and they'd make more money on the way back up. Thought provoking and well worth a watch