Melody Time Reviews

• Jan 14, 2020

Near mindlessly wacky and badly dated, this collection of silly show tunes may have a couple of segments that try hard, but is a low point for early Disney in its scramble for timeless stories.

• Dec 07, 2019

In akin to how both "Fantasia" and "The Three Caballeros" moved the feature-length format forward, the excellence is maintained in the closer relationship genuinely melodiously between expressive animation and synchronized music that is more of a verbal package of presenting creatively thematic cartoon shorts but as a whole rather subpar with the preceding films due to being less compelling and more silly in sporadic areas like a switching pattern. (B)

• May 02, 2019

Once Upon a Wintertime is really boring, badly animated, and just isn't worth watching because Disney has done that same kind of sequence a thousand times before. Bubble Boogie however is quite exciting, energetic, and the animation really catches your eye. The Johnny Appleseed segment is awesome, and the song "The Laird's Been Good to Me," is really catchy and fun. Not much of a fan of Little Toot. Really weird progression from happy go lucky to needlessly dark and then messed up. I mean, we all know he's going to redeem himself, but the whole episode just jumps around too much to take seriously. Trees was a beautiful sequence. Cafe de Samba, as the last of the sections with the Three Caballeros, was actually pretty lame, except for the great organ solo. This is the first I've ever seen Roy Rogers in color. It's weird seeing all the bad guys from his TV show singing with him, but those are the Sons of the Pioneers. Pecos Bill isn't too bad, but it's not amazing either. Roy does a good job with narration, and I think there is more here good than bad, though it's still a far cry from the full-length animated films that predated it, and from Fantasia.

• Feb 10, 2019

Having a more soft, stronger-structured look to the animation quality, the film lives up well to its title Melody Time. It does have more creativity than Make Mine Music did(this is almost like a sequel to it), and at the same time has a bit more of some interesting short stories. Some of which are based on some famous short stories themselves including Johnny Appleseed and Pecos Bill, which are, in fact, the best parts of the project. Something about the beautiful colors in the first short, Once Upon a Wintertime, have a warm winter feel to them that makes it very reminiscent to the animation style of animated projects including Paul Bunyan and Sleeping Beauty that both of which would come out a decade later. It's truly a beautiful short. Going from a very dazzling short to a more surreal, imaginative short called Bumble Boogie that is also very dazzling to watch. I really am captivated at how the music practically reaches out at you as it does [literally] to the bumble bee. It would have been nice to see how something like this would have turned out with the quality of the animation in Fantasia as it was originally planned for it. The Legend of Johnny Appleseed could possibly be one of my favorite Disney shorts that's under 25 minutes. What's funny is that the character himself is voiced by Dennis Day. Being a personal fan of him, I can safely say that it's possible the design of Johnny Appleseed was inspired by Dennis himself. I wouldn't be surprised as the voice matches perfectly with the character. Along with some beautiful background and scenery with such effervescent detail to them. The Little Toot short had always reminded me of the little airplane from Saludos Amigos. In fact, I'm a bit surprised Disney didn't do an animated short of them together. It's a very decent short as it is, despite it possibly being the weakest of all of the shorts in the film. The next one is called Trees and, that's literally all it is. You are basically watching well-drawn trees in this bright bit of scenery. Then again, that's literally all you need as a great poem from 1913 of the same name as the short is recited for it. We get Donald Duck and Jose making a comeback in the next short called Blame It on the Samba. I really like the fact that the Aracuan Bird from The Three Caballeros also makes a comeback and, instead of being nothing but wacky, introduces them to samba through some great music and spectacle visuals. I do find it a bit strange that they all would be in this one. In fact, I'd find it less strange if this was in Make Mine Music given the time period. It works though, and I suppose that's why Donald is on the cover of it. While saying Johnny Appleseed is one of my favorite Disney short around 25 minutes, the one that might actually rival it is Pecos Bill, which is the last short of the film. I absolutely love the animation on Pecos himself. Ward Kimball was the animator, and he really gives him that silly, goofy attitude that I admire in Disney shorts. Yet, carefully considering it, I would have to say that I like Johnny Appleseed better. The reason being that, while I love the Pecos Bill song, I feel as though the short is not as strong when the character Slue Foot Sue comes in. She does have that comedic feel and attitude that Pecos has as well, but I feel like it kind of slowed down the short and began to bore me a bit because I knew what was going to happen. Still, it's an enjoyable short, and Melody Time is a very enjoyable Disney film. I should also mention that these package films of this era would be more interesting to people like me, people that are deep in love with animation. 3.5/4

• May 25, 2018

Sempre una serie di cortometraggi che migliorano nettamente rispetto alle raccolte precedenti. Questi in particolare risultano più emozionanti, coinvolgenti e pieni del tipico fascino del classico Disney.

• Feb 11, 2018

Sweet you know people do like Donald Duck see what you can make of this movie kids will enjoy it

• Nov 01, 2016

The whopping fifth package film to come from Disney animation. Weren't audiences tired of these things by this point?

• Aug 12, 2016

Melody Time continues Disney's losing streak with so many subpar and poorly crafted shorts I can't even remember all of them clearly. It seems like the artists were running out of ideas and charisma here as the animation was weak and the shorts lacked imagination and flair. A dull piece of film, one segment's premise is literally the time span of a tree through the seasons. Some parts seem like downgraded versions of previous films like Fantasia or The Three Caballeros with "Blame It on the Samba" and "Bumble Boogie" offering recycled bits and low grade style. The last, and longest segment on "Pecos Bill", might have been the most uninteresting bit Disney has ever done.

• Jul 27, 2016

Unlike Make Mine Music, I remember nearly all the segments in Melody Time. The only segment I find forgettable in Melody Time is Trees

• Dec 26, 2015

Much better! More upbeat music and fun story telling. Loved their takes on American Folklore classics Johnny Appleseed and Pecos Bill.