Mirai Reviews

• Sep 06, 2019

Don't be deceived by the opening ordinariness. "An avant-garde family story" is what the making-of video says. True. Superb animation, if you enjoy the Studio Ghibli style. Opening a juice packet, moving red and white striped shirt, makes me shudder in empathy with the animators. Many more examples. The title is misleading. Better would be Kun and the Family Tree. This is an inspired premise: apply Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" to a four year old boy, naturally jealous when all the attention goes off him to his newborn baby sister. The transition from generic middle class Japanese family minutiae to "Enter the Spider-verse" CGI effects is done gently and naturally, a masterpiece of threshold moments and of how to arrange a gradual transition while keeping the audience involved. Also remarkable is how annoying Kun, the main character four year old is while still remaining engaging and a character the audience cares for. This is a master class in writing believable 3D characters, not often seen in movies, even less so in animation. Daniel Dae Kim and the girl acting Kun really bring a lot of life to their characters

• Sep 01, 2019

Had to turn this off after about 30 mins. Boring and entertaining.

Had to turn this off after about 30 mins. Boring and entertaining.

• Aug 27, 2019

A very beautiful story of heartfelt and warm family. Very touching.

A very beautiful story of heartfelt and warm family. Very touching.

• Aug 03, 2019

This Movie reminds me of how important it is to know who we are, and where we came from .. We must treasure our Family trees..if we could.. Dont forget ur Grandpa, and Grandma ...please always remember them... their Story is our Story ... 8/10

• Jul 27, 2019

May not be at the usual expected standard in terms of emotional engagement with drawn-out tears due to the surrounding surrealism and displeasing volume, but it is nonetheless another heartening triumph, on more simplistically realistic grounds, from excellent familial storyteller Mamoru Hosoda with a taken inspired approach being brilliantly-written and empathetically-directed towards the ever beautifully-animated meaning. (A-)

• Jul 21, 2019

The most bizarre and strange movie I have ever seen. Everything from the voices to the story line made zero sense. It was like Meet the Robinsons, except it wasn't entertaining, witty, funny, or emotionally appealing on any level.

• Jul 05, 2019

This director has a history of making incredibly heartfelt films that are big on making you feel things, and Mirai is definitely in keeping with this, but a little bit less so than before. While it certainly was big on the emotions and sentimentality, it didn't quite flow as well as his other films, with sort of a clunky narrative. The basic format is this young boy going to this magic tree in his yard (because anime) and each time he does seeing something from his families past or future. The problem is it sort of becomes formula. It's the type of thing I could see working nicely in a mini-series, but as a movie, it doesn't quite flow, and becomes a bit banal. Still, there are some really nice moments. I like the humanizing of his family dog, I liked him meeting his adult sister in the future, and the final sequence is genuinely emotional. It's a really nice movie that just doesn't quite stick the landing.

• Jun 23, 2019

Definitely a film worth watching. Will never get board!

Definitely a film worth watching. Will never get board!

• Jun 09, 2019

So I got recommended this after watching your name. What a change. A hour of a annoying little bratty kid? I understand the character development it's supposed to go though but an hour of a bratty annoying pissy little kid is way to damn long. It ruined what the story was supposed to be after the whole ordeal. How this got nominated for a oscar and your name didn't is beyond me. If you like this movie good on you, for people who want to get high and get away from bratty kids, this isn't it. This is worse. This is like your entire day summed up in one hour, why would I want to experience the worst part of raising a kid jammed packed into a hour? I didn't even care where the story lead. I could guess, it was clear the end would be him accepting that he's the big brother. And it lead right to it. What a terrible "time travel" movie. Watch something else if you don't want to listen to some bratty kid yell for an hour.

• Jun 02, 2019

This movie is really good, beautifully animated, and well acted. That being said, the main character is way, way too annoying. I realize that it's part of his character--especially given his age--but it's really overdone. Also, the moments that are meant to be emotional didn't really resonate with me. However, it was still very entertaining and a fun watch for sure. 6/10... ...if Kun promises to stop whining.