La Moustache Reviews

• Dec 03, 2018

Absolutely terrible movie. Watch the interview in the bonus features to see the director explain how important it was to film stuff that didn't go into the movie so the actors knew what was going on. He also points out that he cannot explain the movie because he himself doesn't understand it.

• May 23, 2016

5.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2ql

5.6/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2ql

• Apr 27, 2014

Strange and intriguing.

Strange and intriguing.

• Jan 05, 2014

Marc shaves his mustache and with it, he goes to the other side of the mirror, where his world becomes strange. I'm not repeating the story here, see other reviews for this. I want to add that what is strange is that Marc has clear evidence that his wife and his two closest friends are lying and he becomes deeply shaken. In my view, these three characters are the people he loves the most and their lies are hurting him. Behind strong allures, he his vulnerable because of the love he has. He is not a psychopath, basically. However, his wife and friends, whether it is a joke or a sinister way to push him into depression and suicide, appears to be psychopathic. I think this is the main point of the movie. In the end, Marc escapes without leaving clues to them but they find him before he sends them an adieu, maybe a final adieu to the world or a new beginning without them. Once found, and his wife and friends now acting normally, he gets rid of the unsent token or last adieu, too happy to get back into the cosy feelings of love....that may not really exist because of their psychopathy. This film appears to be idiotic at first but asks deep questions about the value of life, love, friendship. It marks philosophical points.

• Jan 05, 2014

• Aug 17, 2013

Interesting film with existential (and thus deterministic) themes, collapse of a relationship similar to Contempt (perhaps something to do with the nature of French relationships), but also with a complete inescapable nature, a feeling of being trapped with a brief moment of being free and a master of your destiny, he must ask her permission to shave the moustache. The woman appears to represent fate, an unreasonable kafkaesque fate...

• Feb 12, 2013

A man's love for his mustache or facial hair is really a big thing. It's about time I saw a movie about it and it worked out quite nice. This is a bit artsy, a bit infuriating, a bit surreal and mildly fascinating film. A man shaves his stache - and no one notice. NO ONE. Imagine that feeling? Ladies, that's like a total hair color change. How would you like that? This film has ok performances, some visually nice scenes and a way of storytelling that keeps it humorous and sweet. To put it in the drama genre seems wrong in my book. This is in not a fantastic film. Not very entertaining,rememberable or amazing in any way. It's key is that you don't know anything about the characters so jou must learn by viewing it. That's why it will keep you interested at all times. It scores on the plot, the way it's presented and some camera stuff, but it's not a big, great film.

• Sep 07, 2012

I have a "moustache" as well. Had it ever since I could grow one. That's a better statement than any shitty tattoo I've ever seen. And almost all tattoos are . . . shitty that is. The story here plays out like Alfred Hitchcock and Rod Serling wrote it together. Maybe they dragged Roman Polanski in as guest director. Some illiterates don't like movies simply because of sub-titles. The ones that deny this are lazy as well. I liked the premise because, think about it: How many times have you met someone and couldn't remember things like eyeglasses, mustaches, and yes, stupid tattoos? Interesting movie that bears watching without distractions because of subtleties and plot.

• Aug 30, 2012

'La Moustache' is an emotional experience in it's own right and will appeal to everyone differently. It just depends whether you can go with Marc along this journey. That is why this film is almost impossible to review. All I can say it appealed to me right up to the ending which I thought kind of ruined the film, but still it's an involving and interesting experience.

• Jan 28, 2012

Moustaches and psychological twisties! AND in French! Great film, though somewhat dry in places.