Mr. Holland's Opus Reviews

• 1d ago

The movie of MR. HOLLAND, like the character of Mr. Holland, touched my life at a formative age and, though I may not have realized it when I was child, had a profound guiding influence on the person I would become: A musician, a teacher, a tenacious believer in dreaming, a persistent (albeit often small) rebel to authority, a life-long Lennon fan. As I rewatched this film for the first time in maybe 20 years, like picking up an instrument too long silent and unplayed, every beat came back to me easily, a matter of emotional muscle memory as tears welled up at the same moments that plucked my heartstrings growing up. It is an ageless story, sometimes a bit heavy-handedly told, of a young and ambitious and idealistic person growing older and more resigned to life's smaller victories and pleasures, setting the sights of his desire no doubt lower, to a degree, but also further, with the deeper satisfaction that can only come after a lifetime, speaking the truth of Lennon's line: Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Like a sweeping weepy Romantic symphony, the film plays the audience's feelings like a fiddle through a broad affective dynamic from quiet tragedy to bombastic rage to soaring joy, all expertly lead by Dreyfuss in what I think is among his best performances, and perhaps his last truly great one.

• Oct 04, 2019

Outrageously cheesy package of cliches. As a duel certified teacher of music AND teacher of the deaf/hearing impaired, I did not observe one single real, honest, authentic sentiment in the whole 19 hours I had to watch this.

• Aug 18, 2019

Absolutely wonderful movie!

Absolutely wonderful movie!

• Feb 02, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Nov 29, 2018

very nice family movie

very nice family movie

• Jun 25, 2018

Mr. Holland's Opus tells a beautiful and heartfelt story while not losing track of its main cast acting spectacularly.

• Jun 20, 2018

For a movie made in the 1900s, it is exceptional and very emotional

For a movie made in the 1900s, it is exceptional and very emotional

• Dec 31, 2017

One of my favorite movies of all time. Hits me in the feels everytime.

One of my favorite movies of all time. Hits me in the feels everytime.

• Dec 25, 2016

Slow in some spots and there are some minimal amounts of filler, but the film constantly builds on itself, like a film version of "Stairway to Heaven", and culminates in a remarkable ending with Mr. Holland's namesake opus, his 30-year-in-the-making masterpiece, on full display. Truly brilliant and uplifting.

• Aug 16, 2016

Such a great movie! Great acting , and very good story telling.

Such a great movie! Great acting , and very good story telling.