My Brother... Nikhil Reviews

• Nov 11, 2018

Beautiful, heartfelt and gut wrenching in parts. Though story is set in late 1980s it gives you an insight in the minds of ignorant and how discrimination propagates. It's a must watch

• Sep 06, 2014

Based on a true story.. told after Nikhil's death. HIV+..Ostracism... and after 2 years, acceptance, tears.. and love.

• Nov 30, 2012

Clever use of stigma and fear of the unknown to reflect an unjust society. It is also a personal journey for all of the main characters who interact directly to the camera about the lead. The film does neglect the societal prejudice in the second half of the feature after primarily using it to fuel the story in the first.

• Aug 29, 2011

The Kapoors have been living in Goa for several years, and are a well-known and respected family. Navin Kapoor is now retired, and lives with his wife, Anita, who has some Portugese blood, a sportsman son, Nikhil, and daughter, Anamika (Anu). Navin is thrilled to know that Nikhil has been selected for a sports scholarship and will be representing Goa in a national swimming championship. Before that could happen, Nikhil is asked by his coach to take a break and let some fresh youngsters take over; he is eventually dismissed from the team; Navin and Leena encounter hostile stares whenever they go out together; and Leena is shunned by her friends. Watch the climax as the Kapoors find out why the ground has been removed from under their feet, and if at all they are ready to accept the challenge together as a family or as embittered individuals who end up blaming each other. review later

• Feb 07, 2011

The Indian 'Philadelphia'? Unusual and for our standards maybe not that controversial but for Bollywood it certainly is and was. The Bollywood touch is present in the movie but did not irritate me at all. The end is very sentimental but I am always in for a real tearjerker and this movie certainly is....

• Jan 22, 2010

Absolutely brilliant.More movies like this gem of a movie(pardon my old school English usage) need to be made in India. Everyone is honest-to-God brilliant in their roles,a pitch perfect performance by all and sundry.It still bugs me till date that this wasn't India's Oscar entry that year.May be we ought to forget about Oscars and judge everything on its own merit. Need I say that Sanjay Suri gave the performance of a lifetime and that it was a beautiful, poignant,sad and a real story?Go watch it.It should be on your list-20 movies to see before i die.

• Dec 12, 2009

Very touching film. Not your typical Bollywood movie. Human Rights - gay rights - compassion deep stuff - a true human drama with some light lovely music.

• Oct 16, 2009

The performance of each character is outstanding.Intesity of pain and tension is well portrayed.

• Aug 24, 2008

A Senisitive under-rated movie with real emotions... fanastic performances by the lead actors be it Juhi Chawla..Sanjay Suri's award-winning protrayal of a HIV+ Gay man.. or Purab Kholis' amazing support and love Surl's charactor.. based on a subject widely avoided in India.. the director has struck the right notes.. sadly the Indian Audiences have yet to grow-up to accept something as real as this..

• Aug 17, 2008

Despite an occasionally amateurish script that aspires to be more soap opera than high drama, My Brother Nikhil exonerates itself from its foibles through strong performances from its cast, a moving background score and a sincerity of intention that admirably stands out amidst the alarming frivolities of Bollywood.