My Favorite Brunette Reviews

• Jan 04, 2020

Bob Hope always was. I am old now, but when I was young Hope was everywhere. In the 1960s, he headlined TV specials and told one corny joke after another. You liked his personality, but the humor was pretty trite and just plain corny. Before I was born, Hope starred in this interesting vehicle, but he talks too much and the lines he makes funny at the beginning of the film grow old and stale as the movie proceeds. You can only take so much of Hope before turning the movie off. This is one that starts out well, but cannot deliver the goods.

• Apr 13, 2019

Yes, it's typical Bob Hope: bad jokes, missed punch lines, wacky and impossible plots.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jun 03, 2018

Probably my favorite Bob Hope movie has Bob as a photographer who gets mixed up with gangsters in what is basically a serious film noir plot except you get Bob Hope instead of Phillip Marlowe. Hope's rapid fire one-liners are the main attraction of this film, but that's bolstered by a better than average supporting cast which includes Peter Lorre and Lon Chaney as one of the many villains. Hope calling Lorre "Cuddles" is one of my all-time favorite things. There's also a very funny cameo early in the film by Alan Ladd and another funny cameo by a famous partner of Hope's at the end of the film. Whenever I watch a Hope film, I always think about how Woody Allen once said how Hope was one of his favorite comedians and how much he was influence he was. Re-watching "My Favorite Brunette" reminded me of this even more because just about every line out of Hope's mouth could just as easily been delivered by Allen's nervous-little-fellow on-screen persona. Overall, I think this is probably Hope's best solo film and a must see for fans of classic Hollywood comedies. It's also probably worth checking out for fans of Woody Allen's early comedies.

• Feb 21, 2014

a spoof of 1942's 'my favorite blonde' which was a spoof of detective pix.

a spoof of 1942's 'my favorite blonde' which was a spoof of detective pix.

• Feb 20, 2014

Delightful Detective Daffiness--A Very Private Eye!!

Delightful Detective Daffiness--A Very Private Eye!!

• Feb 05, 2013

This certainly is not the best of Bob Hope but as a film noir enthusiast I could really appreciate this spoof. You have your femme fatale in Dorothy Lamour, your skulking villain in Peter Lorre, flashback, voice-over, conspiracy, and a hard-boiled detective, or actually a soft baby photographer played by Hope. Add cameos by Alan Ladd and Bing Crosby to give a few more humorous touches. It can drag a bit but if you like Hope you will probably enjoy this film.

• Jun 13, 2012

Still sparkles 65 years later

Still sparkles 65 years later

• May 19, 2012

A few sporadic laughs and an occasionally sparkling Bob Hope can't quite help to disguise the fact that this is certainly no "Road to..." movie.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Mar 21, 2012

Bob Hope is the steely nerved gumshoe and Dorothy Lamour the sultry femme fatale in this late 1940's sendup of film noir whose major joke is that Hope is anything but steely nerved. Peter Lorre is main murderous henchman while Lon Chaney goofs his cliche dumb strongman persona. There's some good laffs here, and Alan Ladd and Der Bingle put in minor cameo flourishs.