Nearest to Heaven Reviews

• Sep 02, 2008

catherine deneuve is fantastic in this movie.apart from her,this movie is pretty mediocre, it seems that director t.marshall lost interest during the shooting. what kept me watching was the wonderful deneuve, who gives a stunning perfomance in one of her not so typical roles.

• Apr 19, 2008

Not as good as I thought...my friends are still bugging me for making them see this movie.

• Dec 25, 2006

(**): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img] I think Deneuve is a great actress and she is good for this character. But, the character just annoyed me! I could care less about her love life and I found William Hurt to be out of place in this film. In addition, isn't this just another retread of [i]An Affair to Remember[/i] (which is shown during the film) and [i]Sleepless in Seattle[/i]? In additon, this film moves very slowly and feels like it will never end.

• Apr 14, 2005

[font=Arial]'...Nearest to heaven...' a memorable line from the 1957 classic AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER is the springboard for this film...Fanette (Deneuve) is a woman living in regret over the fact she failed to commit to the love of her life during the best times of her life...she's haunted by him on every street corner, corridor, & movie theatre...his image seems to be burnt into her head...now after years of waiting & wondering she finally gets a second chance at love... The story is uneven & frustrating...music score is sometimes inappropriate to say the least...it's more of a homage to Deneuve than the wonderful Grant/Kerr film...Yes, Deneuve is stunning & yes, the camera seems to caress her every move & expression...but...she comes across as very cold & distant...uncomfortable mostly...its quite believable men in Fanette's life have thrown themselves at her feet & she just shrugs them off....one of them, Matt (Hurt) is a spontaneous photographer who's unexpectedly become her partner in NYC while she's there on business & a long awaited personal appointment...but it seems his character is written in as filler for someone to bounce Deneuve's dialogue off of... Overall: Even if your a Catherine Deneuve fan as I am, you might want to skip this one... [/font]