Neon Maniacs Reviews

• Jul 01, 2019

This movie is the best worst movie ever! There is no explanation to why these monsters are so random. There's a biker, samurai, alien, caveman and a old school Native American monster. It's nuts but it's just so perfect in its flaws. Enjoy!

• Mar 28, 2015

Imagine a bit of Hellraiser crossed with The Garbage Pail Kids, and you've got Neon Maniacs.

• Mar 06, 2015

There is nothing really scary about Neon Maniacs and there is nothing really neon either. It is boring and lacks explanation. Some back story and maybe a little bit more detailed monster design could go a long way.

• Feb 18, 2015

Neon Maniacs is a real mish mash of a story where there are no reasons given BUT it has some fantastic practical FX so you just gotta love it! The film is a tad long in the tooth and could easily use some trimming which isn't a good thing for a film that's already only 1.5 hours long. I do enjoy just how quickly the film gets right to business. The opening scenes are all about the Neon Maniacs killing and introduces us to many of the main maniacs early on. Of course, the fact that some of the maniacs don't show up until the climax is a little confusing but it's not the only confusing aspect of the film. Neon Maniacs is clearly just something put together to reap the rewards of low budget horror box office and home video success and it shows... but it's still a ton of fun... totally bad fun.

• Dec 09, 2014

Early on I was wondering why this is a highly overlooked b-movie from the 80s. As the movie went on, I kind of understand why now. This movie is just too middle of the road, forgettable, and (unfortunately) nothing special. It has all the elements you would expect for a cult classic in the making: A big cast of monsters, action that takes place at different set pieces (such as a school and a subway transit), and all that 80s flavor you would want from something like this. However, it doesn't really do anything special. There are no "so bad it's funny" type of moments. There isn't really any gore, there's no real payoff, it doesn't make much sense, and there just isn't anything memorable about this movie. It's not really the most original movie either. It's basically Gremlins, but without an ending. This is a spoiler, but not more of a warning to those who may watch this: There isn't really a payoff or ending to this movie. It just sort of stops. The Neon Maniacs are still around and the main characters are still alive. So what is to stop future attacks from the maniacs? If this were a zombie movie or a haunted house movie or something then you can expect a "just survive the night" type of ending. But this is a movie where the entire time they're trying to figure out how to stop the maniacs (or just playing a concert in a high school gym that is lacking tons of supervision and seemingly serves beer) and when they go to the maniacs' lair it just sort of stops. Nothing happens with the main characters. I thought (based on early parts of the movie) the main characters would have to fight the samurai maniac and use their wits to beat him. But no, that doesn't happen. Another moment I actually did find quite funny, and it may be the funniest and most memorable part of the movie, is how Nathalie and Steven leave the safety of the gym where there is a firehose to go hide in a classroom science lab. Of course, a maniac is on to them and enters the same room to try and find them, but... the maniac doesn't see them and leave. So what do our heroes do? Make out and presumably have sex. This is RIGHT AFTER several kids had been gunned down. I will say the subway chase was fun and I liked the young girl character (she had spunk), but this movie was just too middle of the road. It's not that bad, but doesn't need to be seen either.

• May 27, 2014

Ridiculous movie with some awesome parts, doesn't really make any sense or come together though. Kind of just falls apart by the end

• Jan 09, 2013

Could have been okay but just doesn't come off as menacing and scary. Leaving neon goo behind is fun but that battle of the bands was very bad. Has the proper cheese to be a shittastic classic but doesn't stand out with other decent to great 80's horror movies.

• Aug 31, 2012

Cheesy fun but I can watch this thing over and over. Leaves you wanting a sequel.

• Jun 20, 2012

There should've been alot of background that was never explained. Like why r they called noen when they don't glow and where did they come from.

• Jul 20, 2011

Okay. Let me get a couple things straight. This movie is going to put a bunch of monsters who steam and bubble and melt when hit with water, even the piss squirts of 1980s five and dime squirt guns, in the middle of San Francisco? Where you can get pretty soaked just from the fast moving fog that comes in every other day? Really? Secondly. Natalie has a pool in her backyard. And spends a considerable amount of part of the movie sun bathing or floating in her pool. No one in San Francisco has a backyard pool Why? Because of the fog and cold temperatures. In fact, people walk around in the summer with snow parkas on. Why? They are cold. The Manaics, themselves, have a couple creepy scenes. Especially while lurching around the battle of the bands school hallway scenes. But otherwise, are simply idiots. I guess it was an attempt to start a franchise? Either way, they need some back story, then, or at least an explanation. Not just Halloween costumes gone gooey. I am not even sure why they are Neon. Though living inside the Golden Gate bridge is sort of clever.