Night of the Juggler Reviews

• Oct 01, 2019

We're off to a flying start. This lurid slice of exploitation truly delivers. It's fast, frantic and batshit crazy! A young girl thought to be the daughter of a very prominent and stinking rich businessman is kidnapped for a $1m ransom. But the wrong girl is snatched and her father is James Brolin. Bad move. This really is one of the great New York movies with the city being portrayed as it really was in 1980- down at heel, dangerous and jam packed full of 'characters'. Witness the scenes that take place on 42nd Street. The Deuce has never looked so wild and utterly alluring. The scene in the strip joint is worth the price of admission alone. Brolin is at his Amityville Horror best resplendent with the same long hair and beard as in that previous movie. His performance is kinetic, untamed and unpredictable to say the least. The kidnapper is played by Cliff Gorman and is just as off-kilter and feral. You want to see what a great actor Gorman was? Compare his portrayal here to his turn in William Friedkin's masterpiece The Boys In The Band. A brilliant and very underrated actor. This movie is as grimy and wired as the city it takes place in at that timepoint. And I loved every part of it. Now, can we have a Blu ray release please?

• Jan 30, 2014

I was finally able to track this one down via YouTUbe, and I have to say that it was well worth the wait, but I wish there was a legit release of this one, as the dark scenes are all but lost in the murky VHS rip or whatever the source was for the YouTube version. James Brolin goes apeshit in his search for his kidnapped daughter, tearing NYC apart to find her, and it's pretty amazing. Recommended.

• Oct 27, 2012

An ex-cop embarks on a determined hunt to find his kidnapped daughter who was mistaken for a rich kid. Really tests the "I Love NY" slogan. Depicts the city as a cesspool although cops do enforce a zero tolerance policy on subway freeriders.

• Aug 17, 2012

Decent enough action thriller that has plenty of grit, good enough acting, well made action (the beginning chase scene with two car chases is awesome), good score, deep rooted realism with all the seedy side of New York shown just a shame the script is lacking and there isn't a whole lot of depth.

• Jan 26, 2012

A case of mistaken identity for a kidnapper looking to 'juggle' the books his way; with relentless pursuit by ex-cop thru sewers and gutters of NYC. Contains a great chase scene. NY has seen some improvement since this venture. A gritty film with some mean characters that scores a 10 on the intensity scale.

• Apr 14, 2011

Completely fun, pacey action flick that does not waste time - unlike so many today that seem to think quick cuts and careful CGI simulation of verite are more engrossing than just getting down to business. Brolin's conflict and character are established in definite terms and then we go straight into a series of fantastic pursuit, escape and investigation sequences that elaborate on who he is and why. Opposite him is another frustrated male of failed `70s aspirations, this one wildly racist and bordering on outright pedophilia. In addition, Hedaya serves to provide a defining contrast as a dirty cop who stayed in and has had years to cultivate his rage towards Brolin. His beetle-browed fury is fantastic, as always. Julie Carmen is a charmingly potential romantic prospect, who assists Brolin while inadvertently lending premise for a Boricua street gang to chase the chaser. In the end, we have Brolin's daughter given a choice much more literal and unambiguous than that presented at the start for her between parents. It's a little neat and quite timely, but satisfying nonetheless as a terrific action picture that has a point and gets right to it.

• Jan 13, 2011

• Aug 08, 2008

One of my all-time favorites! It DESERVES to be seen. Goddammit I fucking love you, James Brolin (pre-Streisand)!

• Aug 05, 2008

the name comes from one rant by the kidnapper about the fact that hes sick of the rich folks "juggling the books" (aka fucking up his real estate situation so he has to tolerate minorities) so this time, HE'LL be doing the juggling! (which i suppose means collecting ransom for a little girl in overalls...)

• May 14, 2008

One of the best action movies I've ever seen and I've seen a few in my day. This movie delivers the goods; great cast acting, great car chase(one of the best seen on film) and a great story (plot). In fact, the only thing that's not great is the fact that this film has yet to be released in the DVD format. I find this inexcusable. This movie screams to released in a anamorphic ratio, THX surround sound edition. Come on guys, how about it???