Nothing in Common Reviews

• Jun 26, 2020

Not a happy movie. Everyone is a fan of the actors of course. But this film is about Hanks being a great son and two older parents who no longer like each other while one of them has age and health related problems. Hanks has a "corporate robot" for a romantic partner at his hyper-creative ad agency - played one-dimensionally by Sela Ward. Not particularly funny, or realistic. Her character Cheryl dumps and fires Hank's character David later in the film. He handles it like a champ because this is the 80s! (Cue synth soundtrack.) Eva Marie's final scene in this "bosom buddy gets stoic" film was empty and sad. Mom gets her son's approval for leaving Dad. Not a happy movie.

• Sep 28, 2017

A gem - I thought Eve St. Marie, Tom Hanks, Jackie Gleason were mesmerizing, and I also really enjoyed Hector Elizondo in his role.

• Aug 01, 2017

In my honest opinion, this film was quite amusing and I just loved the performances in this film and this film was a good way for Jackie Gleason to end his career.

• Nov 03, 2014

Nothing in common, one of the better films. I remember listening to the soundtrack for it, Richard Marx, Carly Simon and Christopher Cross and you know what, I really like the movie. It sure reminds of the old years. I should really watch it again. Check it out and see for yourself.

• Jul 01, 2014

Jackie Gleason, in his final film role, plays the icy, stonewalling father of a hyperactive, professional Tom Hanks. There's a good message at the core of this one, about the impenetrable veneer expected of men from his generation and the dire effects it bore on those around him. Hanks, a smooth-talking corporate '80s ad exec, and Gleason, a foot-to-pavement salesman struggling to deal with the end of his career, manage well with the heavy stuff while occasionally injecting a few welcome dashes of humor and sarcasm to the mix. The film is flawed, though, in its unbridled lack of restraint. Every last supporting character hints at a big, convoluted back story and many of them are halfheartedly explored. That diverts attention away from the key players and leaves us with what seems like one big, fuzzy, unfocused batch of incomplete or unfulfilling arcs. There's simply too much to keep track of, and too much time wasted with characters we don't care about. Noteworthy as the stage where Hanks showed he could be more than just a comic player, but otherwise it's too overstuffed and vague to recommend.

• Jun 14, 2014

It's a little depressing, and a little long, and even the chemistry between Hanks and Gleason is strained at times, in the end, it all works â" thanks to the range of Hanks, Gleason, Bess Armstrong, Sela Ward, and the premise itself.

• May 20, 2014

eh not to bad but not to good its hard to determine what story the movie is based on at times a little too goofy in parts but not bad for being a Tom hanks movie

• Mar 30, 2014

Nothing in Common has nothing worth seeing even for avid Hanks fans. While fans of the actor will still seek this dull and pointless film out most will be thinking the same thing after the two hours they spend watching this sad piece of a young thespians career...how could such great actors be involved in such a lifeless film.

• Feb 11, 2013

79% "She's a very modern woman. I raised her to be a corporate executive. I raised her to be a man."-Andrew Woolridge (Barry Corbin) There's a weird horse breeding sequence, played with a song 'Burning of the Heart', which turns on the leads, who go have some sexy time. Strange stuff. "The dog didn't die, he committed suicide."-Max Basner (Jackie Gleason)

• Jan 02, 2013

In this movie, Tom Hanks shows what he will go on to be as he matures in his craft. As he matures as a loving son, you can watch his eyes to learn what he is going through and becoming. He shows that the star quality and work ethic existed long before most people recognized him for what he is: a WONDERFUL, FULFILLING ACTOR. I did not like many of his early movies until, after falling in love with him in The Green Mile, I went back and watched them with open eyes. This movie gives glimpses of what is to come. Thank you, Tom Hanks, for being such a giving actor.