Of Love and Shadows Reviews

• Dec 05, 2015

Of Love and Shadows is a decent film. It is about Irene who is a magazine editor living under the shadow of the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile. Antonio Banderas and Jennifer Connelly give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Betty Kaplan did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.

• Nov 10, 2014

good historical drama

good historical drama

• Doctor S Super Reviewer
    Jul 12, 2014

Starts slowly but builds interest as a newly paired sheltered journalist (Jennifer Connelly) and subversive photographer (Antonio Banderas) who works "in the shadows" uncover military atrocities in 1970s Chile. He comes off as a real prick in the opening scenes but the story develops in a way that makes their close working relationship turn into a believable love affair with both reacting to a desperate need to cherish life amidst a country full of tragic stories under the domineering thumb of a fascist government. Novelty to see Connelly cast as a Chilean, she's positively gorgeous and her accent is not bad at all, it's the Spanish & South American actors speaking English with heavy accents that can be hard to understand! The stars share a passionate love scene in the mountains outside an abandoned mine, now that would be one hearty good-lookin' baby.

• Jun 05, 2014

I wanted to like this film, as I do both of the actors here, and I'm always against dictatorships and governmental brutality, but this film was just too slow and sometimes confusing. I'm sure the book was better.

• May 02, 2012

A boring, never ending melodramatic lullaby!

A boring, never ending melodramatic lullaby!

• Mar 12, 2012

This was an excellent movie and I can't believe it received such a low rating. It led me to do some research on this very dark and violent time in Chile. I would rate it a 5 star.

• Sep 22, 2011

I'm shocked this movie was given such low ratings. The performances were great, the settings and characters well rounded and believable. Banderas and Connelly are two of the most beautiful people in the movies today. The story line had me on the edge of my seat. Yes, it was told in a "laid back" sort of dreamy style, but it is a balance between a love story and political intrigue. Perhaps those that gave it low ratings were looking for a bit more blood and gore? More shoot -em up?

• Apr 05, 2011

quite disappointing...good thing Banderas was good in this movie...

quite disappointing...good thing Banderas was good in this movie...

• Feb 05, 2011

so desirble..:) hot couple

so desirble..:) hot couple

• Oct 12, 2009

The story, i.e., the book, is great. The movie has plenty of flaws. All the stars I kindly gave go to Antonio Banderas. ;)