Office Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Office Space Reviews

May 21, 2018
Doesn't try too hard
May 12, 2018
The beginning was fantastic, but it petered out from there. Really shows the drudgery of desk jobs perfectly, just wish the film had a satisfying ending.
March 22, 2018
No doubt a fan favorite, this cubical farm flick captures the essence of the office politics "playscape" nicely. I'm especially fond of Stephen Root's portrayal of Milton which is nothing short of a riot - love how he anxiously peers through those coke bottle glasses. Anybody with an office job will get a kick out of this movie.
February 19, 2018
Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) is a programmer at a company called Initech who is frustrated and unmotivated at his job. His co-workers include Samir Nagheenanajar (Ajay Naidu) and Michael Bolton (David Herman), also programmers, and Milton Waddams (Stephen Root), a meek collator who is mostly ignored by the rest of the office. The staff constantly suffer under callous management, especially Initech's smarmy vice president Bill Lumbergh (Gary Cole), whom Peter loathes. They are further agitated by the arrival of consultants Bob Slydell and Bob Porter, who are brought in to help the company downsize. Peter's girlfriend Anne persuades him to attend an occupational hypnotherapy session, but Dr. Swanson, the therapist, dies of a heart attack while hypnotizing Peter. Peter wakes up the next morning newly relaxed, and he ignores repeated phone calls from Lumbergh, who had been expecting him to work over the weekend. He also ignores calls from Anne, who responds by angrily breaking up with him and admitting that she has been cheating on him, confirming his friends' suspicions. The following workday, Peter decides to skip work and asks Joanna (Jennifer Aniston), a restaurant waitress, out for lunch. Joanna and Peter bond over their shared loathing of idiotic management and love of the television series Kung Fu. When Peter finally shows up at work, he casually disregards office protocol, including violating Initech's dress code, taking Lumbergh's reserved parking spot, refusing to follow Lumbergh's directions, and removing a cubicle wall that blocks his view out the window. The consultants, however, are impressed by his frank insights into the office problems, and they decide to promote him. They also confide that Michael and Samir's jobs will be eliminated; Peter relays this news to them, and the trio decide to get even by infecting Initech's accounting system with a computer virus designed to divert fractions of pennies into a bank account. They believe that such transactions are small enough to avoid detection but will result in a substantial amount of money over time. On Michael and Samir's last day at Initech, the pair along with Peter steal a frequently malfunctioning printer, which the three take to a field and smash to pieces to vent their frustration. At a barbecue, Peter learns that Joanna had previously slept with a colleague identified as "Lumbergh". He assumes it to be his boss and confronts Joanna in disgust. She questions the morality of his financial scheme, and the two split up. Peter then discovers that a bug in Michael's code has caused their virus to steal over $300,000 in only a few days, which is far more conspicuous...

"Office Space" received positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Mike Judge lampoons the office grind with its inspired mix of sharp dialogue and witty one-liners." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film three out of four stars and wrote that Judge "treats his characters a little like cartoon creatures. That works. Nuances of behavior are not necessary, because in the cubicle world every personality trait is magnified, and the captives stagger forth like grotesques". In his review for the San Francisco Chronicle, Mick LaSalle writes, "Livingston is nicely cast as Peter, a young guy whose imagination and capacity for happiness are the very things making him miserable." In USA Today, Susan Wloszczyna wrote, "If you've ever had a job, you'll be amused by this paean to peons." Owen Gleiberman in Entertainment Weekly gave the film a "C" rating and criticized it for feeling "cramped and underimagined". In his review for the Globe and Mail, Rick Groen wrote, "Perhaps his TV background makes him unaccustomed to the demands of a feature-length script (the ending seems almost panicky in its abruptness), or maybe he just succumbs to the lure of the easy yuk...what began as discomfiting satire soon devolves into silly farce." In his review in The New York Times, Stephen Holden wrote, "It has the loose-jointed feel of a bunch of sketches packed together into a narrative that doesn't gather much momentum." In 2008, Entertainment Weekly named Office Space one of "The 100 best films from 1983 to 2008", ranking it at #73.

"Office Space" is a comedy with a neat storyline within the genre. The satirical and yet realistic presentation of the American office life serves us as well a social political comment on the negative effects of the boring white collar work environment and the urge for escapism and freedom becomes the centre of the story. It also puts the finger on how many people are often treated within companies of today. I reckon anybody who has had an office job can relate to that. Ron Livingston is great as Peter and Jennifer Aniston is quite nice as Joanna. Gotta love Gary Cole as Bill Lumbergh and Stephen Root as Milton Waddams. Some scenes are truly classic and you will remember them forever.

Trivia: - Milton was actually based on an old co-worker that Mike Judge worked with during his days as an engineer. One day, Judge went to the man and asked him how he was doing, and the worker began talking about how he was going to quit his job because he was forced to move his desk around too many times.

- After poor box-office performance, the movie gained cult status on video. Mike Judge has said more people talk to him about this movie than any project he has ever worked on. Judge was offered a chance to make a sequel, "Office Space 2: Still Renting", but said that he had been through enough anguish over the first one, that he didn't want to put himself through the experience again.

- One of the promotions for this film invited people in certain cities to watch and participate in the bashing of office equipment. There was also an Internet campaign that linked to a website where people could expose their bad bosses.

- Office Space has become a cult classic, selling well on home video and DVD. As of 2003, it had sold 2.6 million copies on VHS and DVD. In the same year, it was in the top 20 best-selling Fox DVDs along with There's Something About Mary. As of 2006, it had sold over six million DVDs in the United States alone.
½ January 8, 2018
Do you hate your job or your boss? Watch this. Office Space is hilarious, deadpan, relatable, all within a concise runtime. It's hella quotable too.
December 18, 2017
In my country, this movie is mandatory watch.
October 28, 2017
If you've ever worked at a monotonous and boring job, then this one's for you...
½ October 6, 2017
Approximately 17 years ago I first saw Office Space and found it underwhelming. But at the time I was working at a place more like Chotchkie?s so the struggle of these office workers didn?t totally resonate with me. Now that I?ve been working for a long time at a place more like Initech, it seemed like the movie might be more impactful. While Initech is run in a way that is definitely exaggerated, you can feel the authenticity of it. I?ve had conversations that sounded just like this in the past, and I think I?ve even been the Gary Cole character occasionally. So, I was buying into this movie a lot better this time, and laughed more.

I?m not sure that Office Space is quite a laugh-out-loud comedy, though. It has some situational comedy that certainly made me chuckle, but there were few moments that went beyond that. The best parts are the scenes right after Ron Livingston is hypnotized. That?s where he starts doing things many other people only dream about. The interview where he is brutally honest was downright cathartic for me to experience vicariously through him. The other comedy treat is literally any line from Stephen Root as the mild-mannered Milton. His struggle with the stapler and his ever-moving desk is great.

I?m not sure all the minor characters were justified in Office Space. The nosy neighbor was only good for one joke, and frankly it wasn?t all that funny. But even more questionable was the relationship with Jennifer Aniston. Was there any purpose to that subplot other than to point out people can hate their job no matter what it may be? They didn?t have any chemistry, and being in a relationship didn?t change anything for Livingston?s character. As you can see, I wasn?t totally enamored with Office Space, it?s not my favorite comedy. But I connected with the story, and that correlation to my day-to-day reality made it work much better this time.
September 19, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I like.
September 8, 2017
Yeah.....that be great
August 27, 2017
*Great Movie. The advertising that says that Mike Judge the creator of B&B, is very misleading. This is not a movie for the B&B crowd.
August 1, 2017
Boring garbage not funny at all movie.
½ July 23, 2017
Office Space has a truly hilarious sting of jokes, and a wonderfully gut busting opening 10 minutes, but it's jokes are eventually spaced out farther and farther apart as the film progresses, and not all of them land. The lead character, while well acted, I found to be a tad bland, and instead I enjoyed other characters such as the IT guys, and his neighbor to be much funnier. The Milton character seemed to show promise for some really funny things, but he was so underused that I could not help but be disappointed. Jennifer Aniston shows up here, as a character for a live interest, which works well enough, but I though Gary Cole was marvelous as Initechs boss, and I really enjoyed his performance. Overall, Office Space is nothing that will make me clamor for another viewing immediately, but I can see myself watching this over again in the future, and I did get some genuinely good laughs out of this
May 31, 2017
A good mix of sharp dialogue, witty lines, satirical characters and situations and a deadpan tone. I can see why Mike Judge's Office Space has become this sort of working class comedy classic.
May 26, 2017
What makes this relatable comedy work best is the solid cast and incredibly funny and witty script since the plot isn't the best and does all end a little conveniently but least it is enjoyable and I was laughing throughout.
½ May 22, 2017
A nice little comedy that pokes fun at the typical office happenings and characters. It has aged well and is still relevant. Nice characters and sound bites.
April 27, 2017
Not perfect but I like it
April 6, 2017
Absolutely hilarious. When you get home from the office, watch it!
April 5, 2017
Really funny-anyone who works in an office will appreciate it.