Oldboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oldboy Reviews

September 18, 2017
Fantastic movie I watch every year. Very stylish, great acting and I really enjoyed the retro style music. The American remake is not worth watching at all.
½ September 18, 2017
Had some nice story ideas and visual ideas.. But some scenes are just unnecessary over the top ...
September 13, 2017
Like too much of Korean cinema, Oldboy was overly melodramatic and steamy, with an editing style edgy enough to impress Cannes, but which left me cold. Didnt feel true to the Korean culture at all, more like a knock-off Tarantino with Asian faces. Then again, maybe there was just a bit too much incest and rape for my tastes.
½ September 6, 2017
Not the groundbreaking film I expected from reviews I'd read. Didn't really make much sense. Weird and confusing
½ September 6, 2017
Elegant, engaging, impressive, full of style and symbolism in every single frame of the film.
August 29, 2017
crazy plot twists and fits the mold of strange but fascinating Korean films.
August 23, 2017
well-made film with a very different story. Also, it features one of the most shocking and disturbing twists. Not that i lose sleep over it or anything... but it bothers me enough to make me hesitate renting the other two parts in the trilogy despite the fact that i do like the film quite a bit.
Not for the faint-of-heart viewers, or relaxing night on the sofa, AT ALL. But i say pick a night that you dont mind being shocked and watch it....
August 10, 2017
It's gritty, intense, and subversive storytelling, even if it is too much of those three things for its own good.
August 9, 2017
Disturbing and heartbreaking, Oldboy proves lots of action, but shows how revenge sucks
July 22, 2017
I know this exact comparison has been made a thousand times already but this movie's plot line was more convoluted and harder to follow than an episode of Viva la Bam without Don Vito's subtitles.
July 19, 2017
I recommend this movie to anyone. It has more sex and violence than an average movie, but neither is gratuitous and everything fits the plot, even the final mind-bending twist.

It will keep you engaged, the plot line will slowly reveal itself, there will be flashbacks, the twists are unpredictable, the characters are well-presented. Does not matter if you have read the original Japanese comics series (manga). You still won't know how it ends.
The style and symbolisms are great, the actors and characters are great too. even though they are rather start and contrasting. I recommend other works by the same director as well. Happy watching !
½ July 5, 2017
Oldboy is a merciless character study, hypnotic and engrossing, that heavily homages classics by Brian De Palma and John Frankenheimer, while still remaining refreshingly original.
June 26, 2017
Its story is compelling and unpredictable, but it is too gory and nude scenes are too excessive, which are not appreciated by me.
June 11, 2017
The extent of human fear and sheer suffering can be experienced through the course of this film. With the underlying plot of revenge and its efficacy, Oldboy is the epitome of a sadomasochist psychological thriller. Superb actors, dreary soundtrack, awe-striking storyline, Oldboy is more than worthy of deserving the Cannes Grand Prix.
June 11, 2017
As good a twist as "I see dead people", except I spotted this one . . .
May 20, 2017
Poetry through violence and rawness, disturbing but beautiful
May 13, 2017
An incredible opus of classical music & some of the most graphic & unforgettable images of violence. An brain shattering story of a man who is imprisoned unexplainably for 15 years then to be released.

The film begins to unravel the past of the prisoner & the man who held him there. But this film is not for the faint hearted.

A complex & rich plot that demands your attention but is a film that will leave you panting such a energy bomb.
May 13, 2017
Park Chan Wook's Oldboy is a powerful tale of revenge full of bloody violence and a remarkable screenplay.
½ May 13, 2017
what a cinematic experience, movies like this are the reason I love the movies in the first place, movies that make you believe in things otherwise you´ve never believed were posible.
with such an ambitious story told in such a great way, with unforgettable moments, this is a must watch,not only for people interested in foreign language movies, but for every single person.
May 7, 2017
The revenge film to end all revenge films. Park Chan-wook is a master filmmaker. He's consistently making unconventional action choices, moving beyond simple fight choreography and blocking.