Oldboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oldboy Reviews

May 19, 2018
This is how to make a movie!
½ May 18, 2018
A complete waste OF TIME. had high expectations after looking at all high reviews, but these are 2 hours i never get back.
½ May 16, 2018
Chan-Wook brilliantly directs this overly-graphic, twisted tale of vengeance that requires toomuch suspension of disbelief.
½ April 10, 2018
Historia memorable. Presentada con otros actores pudo ser epica.
March 31, 2018
Raw, disturbing, and disorienting. I don't think I've ever seen a piece that put me at such unease that I had a sudden urge to fervently scratch my neck and all of my skin to purge myself from all the malice in the world that is this film. Ugh.

As much as I hate it, as much as it makes my skin crawl, I've got to admit: Oldboy is wildly exceptional.
March 29, 2018
wow this movie is amazing. one of my all time favorites. amazing story, acting, and directing. great villain. so many memorable scenes. unforgettable is a better description (5 viewings)

SPOILERS

One of the greatest twists of all time. i couldn't believe it. it owned me so bad. and to top it off, the very end of the movie.... what an unbelievably awesome and perfect ending. he chose to forget. wow gg smh owned
March 9, 2018
SHOT BEAUTIFULLY ALONGSIDE A GREAT SOUNDTRACK WHILST DELIVERING ONE OF THE BEST TWISTS AND VILLIANS EVER.
½ March 8, 2018
This film is outright insane. the plot leads you to places you never thought you'd go, as well as being creative and shocking. the twist ending is one that will resonate with you for hours afterwards.
½ February 24, 2018
Its potential fell when it got to twisted for me to care. The synthesizer music also distracted. I was interested at the beginning however. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 29, 2018
Is one of the best South Korean movie I ever saw! Which doesn't say much, because I saw an handful of them and mostly from the same director. But seriously, is really great! Dark, weird, violent, amazingly written and directed. The Pulp Fiction of South Korea! Don't be scared: watch it!
January 5, 2018
One of the most weird, twisted movies I've ever seen. The ending is nothing short getting slapped in the face with an 18 wheeler.
½ December 29, 2017
yeah; agreed & agreed. i've said it before & i'll say it again -- Korean filmmakers do this job better than anyone else does. Albeit, cheesy at times & the dialog isn't always that great, but i'll chock most of that up to the translation/language barrier. The plots & twists are always better. always. i loved the twist -- i didn't see it coming; however, actually made more sense in the long run... because who just imprisons a person for 15 years for no reason then lets them go?
December 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the scenery of this film and how they traced the story back to the beginning of there school days. A little gory especially when he cut his tongue off. But overall I followed Dai-so on his journey of revenge.
½ December 13, 2017
A perverse and sadistic elitist seeks revenge by capturing and torturing a businessman whom he holds a grudge against.
I've heard about his Korean independent film a few times over the last decade but never watched it until now. OLDBOY does have a turn-of-the-Century feel to it, exemplified by OS graphics and extreme exposition. These dated characteristics don't detract from the film. They make the film. OLDBOY's twisted and perverse story is so over-the-top, brazenly provocative, and so thoroughly saturates its entire world, it's easy to take it all seriously as normative. The production is as twisted, hypnotic, and mysterious as the story, and pulls the audience along with a tight grip of the nose between the knuckles.
With the characters and story, OLDBOY uses the wide gulf between the entitled and the middle-class, driving a hard fist to the gut of the disparity between the powerful and the susceptibly dependent. The characters are as vehemently over-the-top as the story. Once the mystery is revealed, the pieces all fall into place into a logical conclusion, giving the film a sense of being refreshingly honest.
This film has several twists & turns, and keeps twisting away, which makes one of the final, critical twists easy to guess. Guessing the twists isn't a bad thing. Though it lessens the shock of the reveal, it does leave the viewer satisfied for paying attention to the characters' personalities to learn the logic of their behaviors.
The ambiguous ending on a snow-covered mountain range is appropriate as the film leaves with an over-all cold, hard sentiment.
½ November 26, 2017
It takes a while for the weirdness to sink in, but the movie is a wonderful work of art, with a beautiful soundtrack, and original story line.
October 23, 2017
the Asians have a special vision in the cinema, the director of this film showed his marvelous understanding of brutal and sophisticated revenge. perfectly.
October 21, 2017
Oldboy isn't your standard vengeance flick. It's not "Taken" or "Saw" where the senseless violence makes the film, but focus more on the story. If you dont believe watch the film, then watch it again but this time fast foward all the fighting I guarantee that the film will not lose any value. Oldboy has alot of depth and at the end of the film I found myself routing for the "bad guy".
½ September 30, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever watched.
½ September 30, 2017
Ending is what kept me from 4 stars but very creative and entertaining. Worth the 2 hours