Older Than America Reviews

• Dec 03, 2015

151203: Came across this film while attending a Cree Nation awareness course. Decent film featuring many big stars. Done, obviously, on a smaller budget but didn't suffer much as a result.

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2015

It's about 2% substance and 98% message, but I can see why that would appeal to some, it's just not really for me.

• Mar 20, 2014

A very dramatic exploration of the subject of residential schools and their lingering effects.

• Mar 20, 2014

Thought provoking film, loved it

Thought provoking film, loved it

• Jan 24, 2014

even though this is a very low budget, not that well written for a film, and storyline was excellent. the main character RAIN starts to get visions about the mistreatment of indian children at a catholic school and when she decides to questions it, all hell breaks loose in her town.

• Apr 04, 2013

well crafted this is a must see movie based on facts. I'll let you read the synopsis for the story line. in two words this film is WELL CRAFTED. everything from the actors, the directing, the editing, and including the score is beautifully done. recommended for serious collectors, definitely. do I own it? not yet but I'm going to as soon as I can find a copy.

• Mar 01, 2013

Interesting storyline, but directing, editing and script had the pacing of a TV special. Regardless, I never lost interest, as I truly appreciated the historical issue it tackled - the attempted "whitewashing" of Native American children by government/Catholic boarding schools at which horrific atrocities often took place, as recently as 1975! Don't remember that chapter in your high school history books, eh? Me either. Worth a watch in spite of the movie-of-the-week feel. [Watched via Netflix]

• Apr 09, 2012

Obviously repackaged & pushed upon us due to Bradley Cooper's inexplicable late surge into the limelight this film is nothing but a boring tale of child abuse. That's not to belittle the abuse just to point out that this film is so tedious it hurts. It's nothing more than the director/female lead Lightnings dedication to her Father telling the tale of the abuse native Indians suffered at the hands of church governed boarding schools. Whilst the subject matter is sensitive & important the film is just a lead up to some subtitles post script from Amnesty International giving you some history & statistics. It's simple, nothing happens. So suspense, no tension. Just bad acting. Cooper has so little screen time it's almost his best performance. To say it's based on true events is the only thing you can agree with but that's cos usually true events are generally quite dull.

• Mar 31, 2012

I wish there were more conscience of those horrible facts.. How can people who claim acting in the name of god himself torture innocents for their own benefit and to satisfy their own twisted mind.. My disgust is boundless.. I never had much respect for the catholic church and this is yet an other example of why...Yes we all deserve to be forgiven for our trespassing but before we have to at least admit them and I hope there has been ample and official apologies to the native nations who suffer so. May the light be with all of us someday..Satnaam.

• Mar 13, 2012

love this movie. it is a must watch. it is based on true events more reasons to see it. children are abused by who they are (natives). you would be surprised to find out who is behind such abuse. the movie has a justice ending. but what they actuall went through has no justice. "i am an apple red on the outside but not on the inside" why try to change a generation, erase who they are. be proud of whom you represent don't hide it.