Osama Reviews

• May 20, 2014

Whoa, this was heartbreaking. Showing the plight of three generations of women in Afghanistan living under Taliban rule. Some of the scenes are cinematically beautiful, like the opening one where hundreds of women are protesting (the right to work) dressed in blue against the bleak desert landscape. Ultimately this is just depressing as we follow a 12 yr old girl posing as a boy in order to be able to leave her house without a legal (male) companion to support her mother and grandmother who've both been widowed; cutting her hair changing clothes and working in a tea shop. She is terrified. Before long the Taliban start recruiting young boys by force to their Koran schools and the other students begin to suspect she is a girl. The actress that plays Golbahari/Osama, her face shows such fear and despair. Oh damn the ending....horrific, haunting and unforgettable. 6/6/14

• Apr 13, 2014

Why does this movie have 97%? It is not that good. Seriously. Tries way too hard to capture "emotion". Yes, its a sad storyline and whatnot but cinematically poorly executed.

• Jan 02, 2014

Incredible story of a young girl disguised as a boy to fight a law forbidding women to travel, walk or go outside alone without the company & surveillance of a man in nowadays Afghanistan. It's heart breaking & beautifully shot. Great little film.

• Nov 27, 2013

We do, indeed, live in a wonderful world. A world that allows situations like the ones are showed in Osama, I do not doubt for a second this has already happened. "Osama", set in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan, tells the story of an afghan girl whose father dies and her mother is not able to provide her with food because she's not allowed to work. Consequently, she disguises as a boy, but she could not hide forever. It is just so beautiful to imagine there are countries and laws like these ones in the world where women are not even considered human, but a commercial male object. People try to justify this, but there's no reasonable justification for the ungodly view some people and religionS have on women. Yes I dare.

• Jul 21, 2013

Remarkable film , a view to the Taliban rule in Afghanistan from the Women's perspective. It's realistic and violent , There's no hope here, everything goes pessimistically, and the little girl clothed like a boy almost never smiles. Women are used to that patriarchal rule in Osama's society but Taliban makes everything even more difficult. There's a great episode at the end , when the european woman is sentenced to death and the man in crowd tells another "And Where ara the witnesses ?" , but there are no witnesses, it's tallib Judge who decides whats good and whats bad, They break shariat, they act autorithary , it's not just women under pressure but the men too, people here live with islamic justice but talliban sets dictature in the name of Islam and Allah, because of that I don't consider Osama as the example of women's being in Islamic Fundamentalist societies in 85% and I belive that the message of Siddiq Barmak isn't that either, it's just narrow local problem but also it's also a warning too for any other islamic Countries and societies not to let such unjust to raise and hurt people, hurt women. But the other 15% goes to a character of Old Mullah who's then wedded to identified Osama, and he's got 3 other wifes and all of them are cursing him as he's cruel Husband, and claiming that he has destroyed their lives and little girl is listening to that, crying and knowing she's unable to do anything. Mullah's character shows how big power will be given to such human being during the Islamic Regime, in his case not only taliban is guilty but the Islamic Fundamentalism itself. Great film for Art House lovers , serious and a bit depressive, not for Hollywood Action fans.

• Apr 05, 2013

a true story of a life of a young girl who lives in iraq during the taliban regime

• Dec 28, 2012

Broke my heart. Especially the ending.

Broke my heart. Especially the ending.

• Sep 04, 2012

This movie started at 2:00 am, and I would have watched it again. I think this should be shown in our schools-

• Jul 20, 2012

Not a pleasant movie, but definitely well done.

Not a pleasant movie, but definitely well done.

• Apr 29, 2012