Out of the Past Reviews

• May 24, 2019

saw it first time on tv 5.23.19. Jane Greer was boofull. I didn't even recognize Rhonda Fleming. Good movie.

• Dec 11, 2018

An incredibly well acted and well written movie. With strong performances from Mitchum and the rest of the cast as well as an involved plot, it's easy to see why this movie is an all time classic.

• Nov 29, 2018

A majestic film noir with such a layered plot and intricacy that it's hard to take everything in on one sitting. Every line is full of barbed wit and sharpness - a masterpiece of dialogue.

• Feb 19, 2018

Where have I been all these years that I'd never seen this excellent movie ? It is first of all a great looking movie, with each scene conveying lots of messages, enabling the actors' dialogue to be sparse and punchy. And those actors - Mitchum and Douglas are on top of their game, despite their youth. The surrounding cast members convey character quickly and convincingly. And the story? It creates sustained tension, right from the first scene - but a low-simmering tension that always keeps us wondering. Well done !

• Oct 22, 2017

With a complex plot and great characters, both of which are superbly written, 'Out of The Past' is tense and unpredictable with a surprise around every corner. The camera-work, score and lighting come together perfectly as well, leaving you with a film noir classic that is sure to leave an impression.

• Sep 18, 2017

I had trouble getting into this movie on my first viewing as I experienced difficulty getting into its plot. However, after I looked at Wikipedia's plot summary, I watched it again only to get wowed by it. The movie is heavily based around betrayal. Several of the characters formed alliances with each other only for one person to betray the other. Those characters then forgave each other only to betray each other again. I loved how the movie did this, because I felt like nobody could be trusted. On top of that, this aspect lead to so many twists and turns that the movie isn't easily absorbed in one viewing. It takes a couple viewings to grasp every major plot point. I also loved the dialogue. Noir films commonly have quite a few clever lines, but this movie had a ton of them. Some were clever bits of comedy, some were well-written conversations, and even a short exchange such as "Cigarette?" "Smoking" contained some creativity (it's a shortened version of "Would you like a cigarette?" "I'm already smoking one."). During my 2nd viewing, I noticed that Jeff didn't murder anyone in the film. I think this was an extension of how he was trying to escape his past. I also liked the ambiguity of the final scene. Finally, the acting was great. Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer had great chemistry. Also, Kirk Douglas gave a strong performance like he usually does. Even though I felt that Jeff and Kathie's relationship started too soon, this was still a fantastic film.

• Sep 18, 2017

I've seen this billed as Hollywood's greatest film. I'm not sure it is that but it's a good noir film. I think double indemnity is better. Mitchum is one of my favourite actors of all time and in this film he personifies coolness. Its a typical noir film with shady characters, a femme fatale, betrayal, and a flawed hero.

• Sep 13, 2017

Watched it recently on TCM. Very complicated plot, but well acted and directed.

Watched it recently on TCM. Very complicated plot, but well acted and directed.

• Jul 08, 2017

Classic film noir, with great dialog and all.

Classic film noir, with great dialog and all.

• Jun 30, 2017

Non-stop sharp dialogue with some lines that are legendary; a screenplay that is fluid, able to have all the film noir twists and not miss a step. The lead bunch of characters are iconic and well-acted, spearheaded by Mitchum who plays a man's man, doesn't speak too much but when he does he is icy cool.