ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
Did not expect this to be half as good as it was. Seriously, it's incredible. Not all of the jokes completely work, but you'll more than forgive it by the time the INCREDIBLE climax happens. Between this and Coraline, Laika has surpassed Aardman as my favorite stop-motion studio, and indeed has become one of my favorite film studios period.
½ October 6, 2016
One of Laika's best! Some of the best stop-motion animation!
October 5, 2016
Bghbbgfhsshdddfffffddndhfrjfghgjgjgngmgmgmggjmggmgbjg tjntinrijrfjrfjrighrgijrifjrifjrifjrijfifjirjrjfrjfrinfrinfrnfirnfinrfnrfirnfrnfnirfnurfnurnfurnfurnffjrnffjfrffnfm
Fm,fmfkffjfkfmf ffkfkfmfmfmfmfmfmffmmfkffkffffffffjfjffjfskdkfjfjfjrejsjsjejejejejeejejeieopffjruhyrrhytyuyeguhoeeifnvregteirfjroyuyigifnvnv Fvbnrgffffcfddffffffffffffcfcffffggrtfff f. Vggggbbbffdddddddddddfffcccdddfffccsss

September 19, 2016
I had every expectation that I was going to hate ParaNorman. First of all, I hate horror and zombies, so how could I possibly enjoy a movie that is almost entirely centered around those themes? Secondly, while I appreciate the meticulous craftsmanship that goes into stop-motion animation, I just don't like the look of it most of the time. So I started watching, and somehow this film leaped over those hurdles and genuinely charmed me. It totally took me by surprise that within this tale of horror lies a nice little film about the effects of bullying and how one can overcome the damage from being a victim. The characters were all unexpected and enjoyable. I particularly loved Norman's new-found friend Neil, and Neil's brother Mitch. Those two characters provided most of the big laughs for me. ParaNorman had more than a few funny moments, and continuously subverted my expectations. There's a surprise right at the beginning, and the film continued to give me little surprises throughout. There was even one particular moment (which I'd rather not spoil) where I was feeling a particular way about a scene and suddenly there is a shift and I realized that maybe I was rooting for the wrong thing all along. It's this kind of subversive plot that always pleases me, because so often screenwriters will utilize the same old tropes without breaking any new ground. ParaNorman is better than it has any right to be, and it's a movie that I will gladly recommend (although be warned that it's probably for older kids, because these dark themes might be a little scary for your little ones.)
½ September 15, 2016
Starring:John Goodman, Lesile Mann, Casey Affleck, Kodie Smit-Mcphee, Anna Kendrick, Jodelle Ferland, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Written By:Chris Butler
Directed By:Chris Butler and Sam Fell
Well Folks your pal the crypt-critic here does enjoy some stop motion movies I do like some I don't lets take a look at this one. So with that said let's continue hoop-tober.
Paranorman was a good movie, very heartfelt, very heartfelt and strangely thought provoking. Norman is considered a freak cause he can hear, see and talks to the dead including his grandmother and his deranged uncle who has the same ability as him. Some think he's acting out while others just think hes crazy. With the exception of a very funny fat kid named Neil who is an outcast himself and wants to be Normans friend. When Norman's uncle dies he passes on his duty to keep the witch at bay. Norman is too late and the dead rise unleashing the witches curse, Norman has to team up with Neil, the school bully, his bossy sister, and Neil's brother the jock to put an end to the witches curse once and for all.
What follows is a story that doesn't just have you sympathizing with Norman but with the zombies and the witch as well. The movie has an awesome twist and the ending is unforgettable. You'll love this movie, it is funny, it was sweet, it was scary, tons of fun to sit through but most of all surprising. This movie throws a lot of curve-balls that I almost saw nothing else coming. Story-wise the film is flawless.
The directors clearly had a unique vision for this film not just for the story but the characters as well. These were very enjoyable characters but much like Cabin In The Woods(2012) they are breakfast club characters. The beauty queen, the jock, the nerd, the bully and the basket case, however they are deeper then their stereotypes. They are extremely fun to watch in fact more so the Cabin In The Woods(2012) and the voice actors are all spot on. Kodie Smit-Mcphee who played the little boy in Let Me In does a great job at playing Norman, he truly understood this character and I hope he has a good career in the future. Anna Kendrick who actually is one of my favorite actress who I wish to see more of was enjoyable as Norman's bossy beauty queen sister named Courtney. She doesn't understand Norman but as the film progresses she learns that she doesn't need to understand him although she learns that she doesn't need to understand him she is his sister and should always have his back. Tucker Albrizzi was very funny as Neil, Christopher Mintz-Plasse shows a new side playing Alvin the bully, and Casey Affleck was hillarious as Mitch, Neil's weightlifting brother. Another great attribute to the characters is that they all feel real, you probably now someone like one of these characters in this film. The dialogue and conversations feel genuine rather then scripted which is hard task to pull off in a film that is animation instead of live action. Jodelle Ferland did a fantastic job as Aggie the witch, one of the best performances in animation. Her character is really fleshed out, you gratly feel and sympthazie with her and understand the pain she's in just a fantastic charaxter and performance all around.
The effects in the movie are very well done for a stop motion picture, I actually thinks the effects are better in this film then they were a nightmare before christmas. I just feel that this film had better atmosphere that the effects helped at hand.
Overall Paranoman is a wonderful little movie that took me by suprise. The effects ,the story, the actors, the characters all brilliant. I give Paranorman a three and a half out of five.
September 14, 2016
4/5. Beautifully made and well written. ParaNorman has an awesome setup, and although the 3rd isn't as good as the rest of the film, this is still a great film and a true work of art.
½ September 14, 2016
Paranorman is an entertaining movie that serves to watch when we have nothing to do, because it is just an ordinary movie which characters aren't charismatic except the protagonist, but that has a different story to tell that will please some childs but will scare others.
September 12, 2016
Los estudios Laika, los mismos de "Coraline", continúan desarrollando su estilo particular (claramente diferenciado de Pixar y DreamWorks), con una historia que le rinde tributo tanto a las películas de adolescentes como a las películas de terror de los 80. "Paranorman" es una cinta con un interesante sentido de lo visual, que logra entretener de principio a fin, aunque puede atraer más a un público joven y adulto que a un publico infantil, gracias a una estética efectiva pero nostálgica.
September 5, 2016
Despite its obvious pacing issues, 'ParaNorman' has clever humor and a story worth telling.
September 4, 2016
Highly enjoyable family film. Beautifully animated, really funny and surprisingly moving at times. Great flick.
½ September 4, 2016
While not for the youngest set of kids, ParaNorman manages to remain fun and entertaining thanks to its visual dazzle, thought-provoking themes about bullying, talented voice cast and a great mixture of horror and humour. Those who enjoyed Coraline are guaranteed to enjoy this stop-motion work of art from Laika.
August 28, 2016
Inspiring stop-motion animation.
½ August 21, 2016
From the makers of Coraline which i consider one of the greatest animated movies of all time comes Paranorman a film that is considered by many to be as good if not better than Coraline and... I disagree but at the same time i can see why this is so well liked. It has a complexity to it that has not been captured by any other stop motion picture. It's also very mature and teaches a lesson that resonates well with alot of people and it's a lesson that's not overdone. But while i do respect Paranorman i was far from entertained by it. The comedy fell flat, the character models were very uncomfortable looking, the story and premise had a unique twist but was far from original and i thought it lacked that raw creativity that made Coraline so brilliant. But i will recommend it to most older kids and adults because there is alot of stuff in here that people will like. I just couldn't get into it as a whole.
½ August 2, 2016
ParaNorman, des studios Laika, est un film d'animation en stop-motion assez joli qui prend le contre-pied de ce qu'on pourrait s'attendre quand on parle de zombies et de garçon qui peut parler aux décédés. Le film oscille entre un côté horrifique pas très efficace et un côté humoristico-touchant qui lui marche beaucoup mieux, surtout grâce à un casting de voix remarquable (John Goodman, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Casey Affleck et Jeff Garlin en tête), des personnages très expressifs grâce à une animation remarquable et très bien troussés et originaux et un développement de l'histoire assez habile. Même si on est loin de l'excellence de Pixar ou même de Disney tout court, ParaNorman est une sympathique alternative.
August 1, 2016
Absolutely wonderful child's horror animated film especially for children who are a but different or odd.
July 8, 2016
ParaNorman adds to another wholly satisfying stop-motion film to the Laika collection, that even if it's not as good as Coraline, it still marks another original, beautifally animated, and surely funny stop-motion film that is sure to delight any type of audience.
½ June 27, 2016
no me ha convencido tanto como coraline,pero si es una muy buena pelicula de animación stop-motion
April 29, 2016
A great family stop motion film about a boy who can see and talk to the dead but no one believes him. A family film with dark elements and hilarious moments. A brilliant idea for a film that is a refreshing change for family films as many dont seem as inventive. Great voice casting and great stop motion, paranorman is a damn good film.
April 13, 2016
This is fantastic film and has grown to be one of my all time favorites. Just towing the line of "Too scary for kids" without taking it too far. Wonderful animation and characters will keep viewers of any age entertained.
April 12, 2016
Norman (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is a misunderstood little boy who's ostracized within his small New England town since nobody believes that he can see (and communicate with) ghosts. Things take a turn for the ugly once a witch's curse reanimates the dead and it seems like Norman is the only one who can do anything about it. The third act of Paranorman is a bit more heavy-handed than I liked, but the whole package is funny, exciting, and even touching. The voice cast does solid work all around, but what really sells this story is the detailed and vibrant animation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kids who grow up watching this movie eventually turn it into a perennial cult tradition a la The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, or It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.