ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

½ January 4, 2017
Good one! Funny, scary, surprising, great voices!
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 20, 2016
The superb animation combines 3D stop-motion and CGI effects into a dazzling visual spectacle, but the plot drags with an irregular pacing and only occasional funny jokes. The result is an average experience that ends with a clichéd message about how bullying is bad.
½ December 16, 2016
ParaNorman is a fantastic film from the studio of Laika, with beautiful animation and a morbid, yet at the same time heartfelt, story to go along with it. The third act is a well-crafted spectacle with a mixture of stunning special effects and a heartwarming resolution.
November 29, 2016
Much better than Coraline, this film has a lot of punch, and FANTASTIC animation(the best I have ever seen). The direction, camera work, are top notch... and the screenplay works very well. The ending is a bit cliche... but an overall VERY ENJOYABLE movie watch. See it 3-D before it leaves the theatre.
November 24, 2016
Great movie with beautiful animation and a lot of heart.
November 13, 2016
Paranorman is a visual treat. While it fails to make it's message truly resonant, the movie has a pleasing ammount of humor, while also managing to be entertaining (and touching) to both children and adults.
November 7, 2016
Gorgeous animation combined with a heartfelt story.
October 29, 2016
Pretty great animation. But it was sometimes frustrating to watch, and the voice acting wasn't always on par, and the humour wasn't really funny and also wasn't scary. I know I know its for kids so I'll give it that leeway. Also rather cliched. And the tone wasn't at all consistent. Better than Hotel Transylvania, not as good as Coraline or Frankenweenie. Charming though. Mildly amusing and entertaining.
½ October 8, 2016
Did not expect this to be half as good as it was. Seriously, it's incredible. Not all of the jokes completely work, but you'll more than forgive it by the time the INCREDIBLE climax happens. Between this and Coraline, Laika has surpassed Aardman as my favorite stop-motion studio, and indeed has become one of my favorite film studios period.
½ October 6, 2016
One of Laika's best! Some of the best stop-motion animation!
October 5, 2016
Bghbbgfhsshdddfffffddndhfrjfghgjgjgngmgmgmggjmggmgbjg tjntinrijrfjrfjrighrgijrifjrifjrifjrijfifjirjrjfrjfrinfrinfrnfirnfinrfnrfirnfrnfnirfnurfnurnfurnfurnffjrnffjfrffnfm
Fm,fmfkffjfkfmf ffkfkfmfmfmfmfmfmffmmfkffkffffffffjfjffjfskdkfjfjfjrejsjsjejejejejeejejeieopffjruhyrrhytyuyeguhoeeifnvregteirfjroyuyigifnvnv Fvbnrgffffcfddffffffffffffcfcffffggrtfff f. Vggggbbbffdddddddddddfffcccdddfffccsss
S

Elslslslslslslslslslslsltdd

PssssssssdddfggtshthtfbbfdfwdfjjdsuhdsnfXfdnesssssswwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwessseeeeeeeweew
Spelled
S
September 19, 2016
I had every expectation that I was going to hate ParaNorman. First of all, I hate horror and zombies, so how could I possibly enjoy a movie that is almost entirely centered around those themes? Secondly, while I appreciate the meticulous craftsmanship that goes into stop-motion animation, I just don't like the look of it most of the time. So I started watching, and somehow this film leaped over those hurdles and genuinely charmed me. It totally took me by surprise that within this tale of horror lies a nice little film about the effects of bullying and how one can overcome the damage from being a victim. The characters were all unexpected and enjoyable. I particularly loved Norman's new-found friend Neil, and Neil's brother Mitch. Those two characters provided most of the big laughs for me. ParaNorman had more than a few funny moments, and continuously subverted my expectations. There's a surprise right at the beginning, and the film continued to give me little surprises throughout. There was even one particular moment (which I'd rather not spoil) where I was feeling a particular way about a scene and suddenly there is a shift and I realized that maybe I was rooting for the wrong thing all along. It's this kind of subversive plot that always pleases me, because so often screenwriters will utilize the same old tropes without breaking any new ground. ParaNorman is better than it has any right to be, and it's a movie that I will gladly recommend (although be warned that it's probably for older kids, because these dark themes might be a little scary for your little ones.)
½ September 15, 2016
Paranorman(2012)
Starring:John Goodman, Lesile Mann, Casey Affleck, Kodie Smit-Mcphee, Anna Kendrick, Jodelle Ferland, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Written By:Chris Butler
Directed By:Chris Butler and Sam Fell
Review
IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE RAISES THE DEAD.
Well Folks your pal the crypt-critic here does enjoy some stop motion movies I do like some I don't lets take a look at this one. So with that said let's continue hoop-tober.
Paranorman was a good movie, very heartfelt, very heartfelt and strangely thought provoking. Norman is considered a freak cause he can hear, see and talks to the dead including his grandmother and his deranged uncle who has the same ability as him. Some think he's acting out while others just think hes crazy. With the exception of a very funny fat kid named Neil who is an outcast himself and wants to be Normans friend. When Norman's uncle dies he passes on his duty to keep the witch at bay. Norman is too late and the dead rise unleashing the witches curse, Norman has to team up with Neil, the school bully, his bossy sister, and Neil's brother the jock to put an end to the witches curse once and for all.
What follows is a story that doesn't just have you sympathizing with Norman but with the zombies and the witch as well. The movie has an awesome twist and the ending is unforgettable. You'll love this movie, it is funny, it was sweet, it was scary, tons of fun to sit through but most of all surprising. This movie throws a lot of curve-balls that I almost saw nothing else coming. Story-wise the film is flawless.
The directors clearly had a unique vision for this film not just for the story but the characters as well. These were very enjoyable characters but much like Cabin In The Woods(2012) they are breakfast club characters. The beauty queen, the jock, the nerd, the bully and the basket case, however they are deeper then their stereotypes. They are extremely fun to watch in fact more so the Cabin In The Woods(2012) and the voice actors are all spot on. Kodie Smit-Mcphee who played the little boy in Let Me In does a great job at playing Norman, he truly understood this character and I hope he has a good career in the future. Anna Kendrick who actually is one of my favorite actress who I wish to see more of was enjoyable as Norman's bossy beauty queen sister named Courtney. She doesn't understand Norman but as the film progresses she learns that she doesn't need to understand him although she learns that she doesn't need to understand him she is his sister and should always have his back. Tucker Albrizzi was very funny as Neil, Christopher Mintz-Plasse shows a new side playing Alvin the bully, and Casey Affleck was hillarious as Mitch, Neil's weightlifting brother. Another great attribute to the characters is that they all feel real, you probably now someone like one of these characters in this film. The dialogue and conversations feel genuine rather then scripted which is hard task to pull off in a film that is animation instead of live action. Jodelle Ferland did a fantastic job as Aggie the witch, one of the best performances in animation. Her character is really fleshed out, you gratly feel and sympthazie with her and understand the pain she's in just a fantastic charaxter and performance all around.
The effects in the movie are very well done for a stop motion picture, I actually thinks the effects are better in this film then they were a nightmare before christmas. I just feel that this film had better atmosphere that the effects helped at hand.
Overall Paranoman is a wonderful little movie that took me by suprise. The effects ,the story, the actors, the characters all brilliant. I give Paranorman a three and a half out of five.
September 14, 2016
4/5. Beautifully made and well written. ParaNorman has an awesome setup, and although the 3rd isn't as good as the rest of the film, this is still a great film and a true work of art.
½ September 14, 2016
Paranorman is an entertaining movie that serves to watch when we have nothing to do, because it is just an ordinary movie which characters aren't charismatic except the protagonist, but that has a different story to tell that will please some childs but will scare others.
September 12, 2016
Los estudios Laika, los mismos de "Coraline", continúan desarrollando su estilo particular (claramente diferenciado de Pixar y DreamWorks), con una historia que le rinde tributo tanto a las películas de adolescentes como a las películas de terror de los 80. "Paranorman" es una cinta con un interesante sentido de lo visual, que logra entretener de principio a fin, aunque puede atraer más a un público joven y adulto que a un publico infantil, gracias a una estética efectiva pero nostálgica.
September 5, 2016
Despite its obvious pacing issues, 'ParaNorman' has clever humor and a story worth telling.
September 4, 2016
Highly enjoyable family film. Beautifully animated, really funny and surprisingly moving at times. Great flick.
½ September 4, 2016
While not for the youngest set of kids, ParaNorman manages to remain fun and entertaining thanks to its visual dazzle, thought-provoking themes about bullying, talented voice cast and a great mixture of horror and humour. Those who enjoyed Coraline are guaranteed to enjoy this stop-motion work of art from Laika.