ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

July 8, 2016
ParaNorman adds to another wholly satisfying stop-motion film to the Laika collection, that even if it's not as good as Coraline, it still marks another original, beautifally animated, and surely funny stop-motion film that is sure to delight any type of audience.
½ June 27, 2016
no me ha convencido tanto como coraline,pero si es una muy buena pelicula de animación stop-motion
June 22, 2016
I love this film. It's very visually interesting, very nicely written, and has amazing stop-motion. The idea of a boy who can talk to ghosts is nothing new, but I loved that they did something new with the idea. The narrative is very good and surprisingly very deep. It's quite enlightening, particularly in the last third. The film, like I said, just has unbelievable stop-motion. It just looks so freaking great. I like the themes that the film explores. Themes about misunderstanding, revenge, and that being scared can cause people to do horrible things. Another nice thing about the film is that even though there is a villain, there is an extremely sympathetic feeling to her. You don't even really hate her. You completely understand every single action, and the ending is so lovely and peaceful. I guess the only issues I have with the film is the comedy because lots of it is pretty lame, but I did laugh at a few things, and the characters. I enjoy them, mostly Norman, but they are pretty much stereotypes. But other than that, I love Paranorman. It's beautifully crafted, very deep and smart. I think Coraline is better, but this film is a great follow up.
April 29, 2016
A great family stop motion film about a boy who can see and talk to the dead but no one believes him. A family film with dark elements and hilarious moments. A brilliant idea for a film that is a refreshing change for family films as many dont seem as inventive. Great voice casting and great stop motion, paranorman is a damn good film.
April 13, 2016
This is fantastic film and has grown to be one of my all time favorites. Just towing the line of "Too scary for kids" without taking it too far. Wonderful animation and characters will keep viewers of any age entertained.
April 12, 2016
Norman (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is a misunderstood little boy who's ostracized within his small New England town since nobody believes that he can see (and communicate with) ghosts. Things take a turn for the ugly once a witch's curse reanimates the dead and it seems like Norman is the only one who can do anything about it. The third act of Paranorman is a bit more heavy-handed than I liked, but the whole package is funny, exciting, and even touching. The voice cast does solid work all around, but what really sells this story is the detailed and vibrant animation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kids who grow up watching this movie eventually turn it into a perennial cult tradition a la The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, or It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
½ March 25, 2016
A seriously awesome hidden gem. Maybe a bit too genuinely scary for younger viewers, but a really good and original plot with thought-provoking concepts and some edgy comedy. A must see!
March 19, 2016
Rock solid kids film with tons of gore and scares, a tremendous soundtrack and stuff for grown-ups too.
March 3, 2016
The most hilarious stop motion movie I have ever seen! ð???
½ January 12, 2016
Love this movie the fact that a Kid could see dead people in an animated story just did it for me.
January 6, 2016
The superb animation combines 3D stop-motion and CGI effects into a dazzling visual spectacle, but the plot drags with an irregular pacing and only occasional funny jokes. The result is an average experience that ends with a clichéd message about how bullying is bad.
November 11, 2015
Extremely weak and disappointing compared to other stop-motion animated films.
½ November 8, 2015
A pretty solid concept, and though it's been done before, I don't think the whole "protagonist sees dead people" theme has ever been catered to a young audience. Stop motion is, as always, a sight to behold, though honestly, the film takes a route that didn't really fit. Our protagonist, Norman, is a bullied misfit, and by God does the film drive it into the ground. The first 20 odd minutes is Norman getting ruthlessly ostracised by both friends and family. Perhaps just the one or two scenes could've given off the fact that he was a misfit, and more time could've been spent in fixing up the messy concept. I hated the main villain, mostly because their intentions really didn't make sense. However, I LOVED all the characters, vicious and comical stereotypes coupled with great voice actors. Really, the only thing that let it down was the general conflict, vital to the structure of the film. If you can get past that, it's a quality horror kids film.
November 4, 2015
In a fun homage to horror movies of old, ParaNorman is beautifully animated, as well as boasting an impressive voice cast, but is unfortunately inconsistent in delivering both its narrative and its jokes.
½ November 2, 2015
The animation is really original and well done, the effort that had to go into this film alone makes you want to appreciate it. Sadly, the story isn't much help after a decent start. While it is likable that the film tries to stay surprising and avoid stereotypes the plot becomes a bit of a mess in the second half. It's also surprisingly gritty and not exactly for all children. Somewhat disappointing.
½ November 1, 2015
It's essentially what Shaun of the Dead would be if it were an animated children's film. Laugh out loud hilarious, clever, and fun as hell.

Grade: A
November 1, 2015
great halloween fodder for kids. fantastic animation.
October 26, 2015
Paranorman is a beautiful film made by amazingly talented people. It takes a minute to get off the ground, but once it does, it's a fantastic ride.
October 26, 2015
Paranorman is genuinely funny and boasts quirky characters, a well-written script and beautiful stop-motion animation.