ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

October 31, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When we are able to see things that other people don't see we are considered strange when others see and say there is nothing to see but you see past what they see. When we see life long after they die to be open seeing them when they are much nicer then everyone around. When everything around us we see is a dump when no one sees how it got this way. When we see we don't fit in and all eyes on us in whom they dislike seeing, we walk like we are invisible when there is nothing to see in us. When others see past other things when they see darkly at everything they need to bully. When we see we live in a world where we obide by what others prefer to see we can't help but feel down when no one wants to see it our way. When others like seeing us when they see they are more like us then others. When seeing is revealing when we are open to seeing anything with others that not most enjoy like seeing when it's gross, wierd and not normal but we don't mind. When what others see as well we don't see when we were asked not to see those who are like us when they are wierd. When we don't see signs, omens, coincidences or most things when we are young & slow we don't see. When we don't see the point in most things and can't see the fun in anything we don't try. When facing something's we hate or pointless we rather not see. When somethings make us see things we don't wish to see when it's haunting to see.

When seeing something's is scarier then not seeing something's when it reveals something more that changes things. When we wish to see life change, when real life is scarier. When what others need to see us to be free when somethings we don't see makes them bound to some places hey wish not to be. When we don't see why we need to see something's to be revealed that something's are meant only for us when we see things others can't see, that others stick around until we are ready to see it through. When we don't see where we are going could get us in trouble. When other things we see we are used to seeing when it's creepy but other things we don't see when it's really dead. When we see what we came for to get. When we see it's too late when we see other things we hoped not to see comeback. When what see we must hide or try out run when they are out to get us. When other things we see we stick around when we enjoy seeing somethings like us. When there is plenty to see but no one is watching when no one goes out anymore, everyone stays in, or don't see when they go too fast. When we need to make others see others point of view but they are preoccupied seeing it there way to see anything else. When everyone wants to be seen but no one gives a chance to be seen in that spotlight when they in the past been seen as horrific. When what we don't see we are sent to the past to see for ourselves. When seeing is blinding when past history mistakes makes those not see until we do the unreversible. When somethings are meant not to be seen again, when we are supposed to learn from past mistakes to see what not to do. When we don't see we resemble a time where we wished to see dead to stay alive to see something's for what they are. When we see something's can't rest once they are seen in the right light when they were wrongfully seen in the wrong light that they wish to be seen to haunt those and make them be seen in wrong light. When we see somethings they are for the wrong reasons when we don't allow them to pass freely, so they live among us waiting for us to see the wrong in our ways. When we see we can reverse what is wrong when we show the truth in what we see. When other things may see and interpret it wrong they see and report the wrong thing. When somethings we don't see until it is revealed to us we see now.
½ October 22, 2017
Paranorman (2012) - Takes a premise that could have easily ended up badly and turn it into a very spooktacular and surprisingly thought provoking movie. This would be the second film to come out of the ever growing studio "Laika" and it definitely shows.
The Story in summary sounds like something that could have ended up being cruel and mean spirited but the great thing is that the focus is where it should be and it doesn't waste its time on the things that could have been hard to sit through. Instead it focuses most of it's attention on the witch's curse and how Norman has to stop it. It's almost like an omash to many old horror movies as well as classic 80's adventures and on top of that the movie adds a few surprises of it's own by adding some very thought provoking messages. The only thing that did throw me off a little bit was the style of humor the movie uses. Don't get me wrong sometimes the humor can be very funny and most of it did make me laugh but I felt like some of the movies awkward humor can really come off as somewhat distracting.
The Characters are given likable personalities and they do a great job at being relatable and humanly realistic(Almost like something you'd see in a Brad Bird film). Norman being the protagonist is super sympathetic not only in his personality but also in how we understand his feelings toward his world point of view and the people he's bounces his feelings off of. Neil is the typical best friend character but they do give him some interesting material to work with and I like that even when Norman is at his lowest point he still wants to stand beside him. Courtney could have easily been an annoying teenage girl stereotype but thanks to Anna Kendrick's charm, she really was one of the most enjoyable characters in the movie. The Zombies and the Witch might seem like the enemies at first but later on they become a whole other thing that totally changes everything. The only character that didn't really work for me was Prenderghast as I barely got to know him and he seemed very rushed in the first act.
The Animation is always something I can look forward to seeing in any Lakia production and boy did they deliver. The backgrounds at first start out sunny and whimsical with a little bit of misery to capture normans feelings. When the witches curse come into play the colors suddenly shift to those neon greens dark purples and blacks which remind me of traditional Halloween colors. The design of the people admittedly is a little ugly but not in a way that would make you not want to look at them. Sometimes the ugliness can work greatly when it comes to the design of the zombies. The CGI effects are noticeable but I never cared cause it felt like they really did belong in whichever sequence was happening. Speaking of great sequences the final scene between the Witch and Norman is one of the best things I've ever seen in a stop motion movie. Everything about that moment is masterful and it just keeps getting more and more insane until the final resolution.
The Music much like the movie is an omash to many classic movies and it combines itself with it's own orchestral style to fit the mood of the movie. I don't have much else to say about the music but it definitely knows how to make me feel when the moment is right.
Lakia has done it again, not only did they create a fun spooktacular experience for all but they also managed to sneak in some very thought provoking messages that really can resonate with many people both young and old. This movie is such a Halloween treat. I might not love it as much as "Coraline" but it's still a great movie to check out (A)
½ October 17, 2017
The most dangerous way to introduce family-hating, non-traditional, anti-traditional, God-hating elements into society is to do it slowly, mildly and passively. ParaNorman fits the bill for cleverly getting the audience to like a character and enjoy its interaction with the other characters and then see how it fits into the overall plot, and then, near the end of the movie have that character announce that it is not what you think in a humorous fashion, creating a pun along with the bombshell reveal. It is not a normal human. It is a human that has decided to be homosexual.

Why do some families like mine make such a big deal over this issue? If you saw all of the meetings and hard decisions that went into the producers allowing this in and writing the script around this homosexual issue, you too would understand that me and mine are not the only individuals making a big deal about this. Teaching young minds that dangerous behavior is normal is a form of child abuse and should still be against the law. We already have laws against such but they are slowly being eroded by the failure of families to make a big of deal of it as those who are the haters of all things good and clean.

Yes, there is a moral compass here. Where's yours?
October 7, 2017
This is a beautifully animated film with a solid script, humor, horror, imagination, and surprisingly a good amount of emotion. Its a very very good film and I while I think Coraline might still be a bit better, I highly recommend checking it out.
October 6, 2017
I love this movie so much!
September 23, 2017
Absolutely charming movie. I haven't watched it in a while. It will make for good Halloween viewing. Highly recommended
September 22, 2017
Paranorman is beautifully animated, with a solid cast, and solidly scripted. Paranorman has wits, humor, frightening concept, and heart.
August 23, 2017
This movie didn't scare me even once.
½ August 21, 2017
7/10 Cute and funny, albeit a bit on the childish side.
August 2, 2017
A perfect movie for Halloween, Paranorman is an well written, entertaing story with lots of imagination to it. Fantastic animation by the way!
It's an 8,3 out of 10!
½ July 6, 2017
The animation here makes for one of the coolest looking films in years. It reminds me of The Nightmare Before Christmas. The script is great, with good fun for kids and adults alike.
June 18, 2017
Não ha nenhuma originalidade aqui, apesar do grande esforço em manter um nível de humor alto, a parte cômica impede o desastre total. Sem querer os roteirista capricharam mais no personagens secundários, é deles que vem as melhores piadas.
June 7, 2017
A new Halloween classic!
½ June 4, 2017
ParaNorman delivers the best out of the genre, with fun-strong moments and emotional value, not to mention its great animation, imaginatively crazy designs and deeply rich story inside the spoof of classic horror films.
½ May 26, 2017
I'm sorry, Laika fans, but I hate this movie! This garbage gets a huge thumbs down from me!
May 14, 2017
A great family film with gorgeous stop motion animation whose message seems to often be oversimplified by its audience. There's a lot more there than just "bullying is bad."
March 7, 2017
La animación es espectacular como siempre, pero la historia es entretenida y no se queda allí, ya que los personajes juegan un papel muy importante y son divertidos, pero es un poco lenta.
February 21, 2017
It was a pretty good movie. It had a dark plot with lots of humor. It had really voice actors. Very predictable. The action didn't really match the storyline.
February 20, 2017
Crazy adventurous for me and my family
February 17, 2017
Paranorman is such a good movie