Passengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Passengers Reviews

May 26, 2017
Turned it off halfway through. A solid idea but the movie dragged on to the point where I found myself not caring at all.
May 26, 2017
This movie was great!!!! Chris pratt and jlaw are electric together.
May 26, 2017
Much disappointment on the plot. Boring, sorry to say.
½ May 25, 2017
I had a really great time watching this film! Definitely one of the best of 2016.
May 25, 2017
Whole lotta "meh" goin' on here.
May 25, 2017
I enjoyed Passengers; a love story with some cool sci-fi and visuals.
½ May 24, 2017
2001 this isn't but I actually quite enjoyed it. Clever premise. Plotting could have been sharper but still kept me engaged; and frankly the story was a lot more compelling and resonant than Gravity. Not the greatest acting, but likable characters that I genuinely cared about. Although not primarily a science based film, the science in Passengers was actually a lot more realistic and plausible than in Interstellar (a vastly overrated movie, based on absurd half-grasped science)
May 24, 2017
Passengers is a very flawed movie. It is by no means the worst movie I have ever seen, and the acting from both Chris Pratt and Jenifer Lawrence is good. The problem is the story, and the pacing. There are many times in the movie where you'll think "Did they really need to do that?" Overall, it is a bad movie, but a forgivable one.
May 24, 2017
What seemed like an interesting idea, turned into complete nonsense. Both Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's acting is great. Unfortunately the story itself, is just bad
May 24, 2017
Full of special effects, "Passengers" is a stunning visual treat, but offers little in ways of a "thinking" film.
May 23, 2017
I love sci-fi, romance and fantasy film.
½ May 22, 2017
I liked this movie. It was simple and entertaining.
May 22, 2017
I really enjoyed this film! It seems to have some shocking reviews, but to me only the ending was a cop-out. The rest had all the emotions that the situation would bring, as well as phenomenal effects and I loved all the 4 main actor choices. Worth a watch for an Sci Fi fan in my opinion.
½ May 22, 2017
A pleasant surprise. I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and film reviews, and Passengers happened to make a lot of end of the year lists. Just not on any of the "best of". But I have gotten good enough at filtering through all the opinions (critical and viewership) to gain a sense of whether a film will work for me or not. Passengers was one of those that I thought might be something that would resonate. It wouldn't have made my top list either, but I was correct in that I did end up enjoying it for what it was. It is a teenage drama to be sure, and it follows the same line as most familiar science fiction (dystopian if you will) stories. Existential questions, check. A fading earth meets the colonization of space, check. Futuristic world set against a nostaligic past, check (albeit this futuristic world is the confines of a rather large space ship).

But it is the YA sensibilities that the film lends to its Science Fiction setting that really endeared me to this film. I love Jennifer Lawrence, and I enjoy Chris Pratt. And they have some great on-screen chemistry as they embody two lonely travelers who happened to wake up early from their hibernation pods on a 120-year journey to take residence on a new colony (planet). This, of course, means that they will not live enough to see life on the new planet unless they can figure out a way to put themselves back to sleep.

But it is the central question that their relationship evokes that was the most compelling part of this film. Director Tyldom does a really great job at kind of simplifying the world in which they live without any of it feeling unnecessary or cheesy. The robots have their place and the futuristic technology all seems fairly realistic. Even the concept of the hibernation pods seems to be the most likely and sensible way humankind could make this sort of journey. What Tyldom has done is create a science fiction story that is accessible even for those who don't enjoy the genre, and this allows the relationship, and the question it evokes, to rise to the surface.

And the question really allows the viewer to put themselves in the characters shoes. The choices that are made and the responses that follow are hard ones, but they say something about the human longing, the human need for community and the struggle of feeling alone. And when you cast this from the perspective of the space that surrounds them, it really gives a sense of just how expansive this need really is, and how far-reaching the question ultimately goes. It makes for some truly powerful sequences with both main characters really having the chance to explore the depths of their performance.

The film does take a slight turn away from the relationship and towards an extended action sequence in the final quarter of the film, but it manages to bring it all back together in the final moments, leaving us with the opportunity to foster some great dialogue after the end credits roll as well.
May 22, 2017
A thought provoking story.
May 22, 2017
Great movie really gets you thinking.
½ May 21, 2017
Fun movie... disappointing ending.
½ May 21, 2017
I like the actors and it made me smile.
May 21, 2017
Perfect Sunday afternoon movie
May 21, 2017
Throughly enjoyed the movie. Not sure about the whole love plot twist, all in all though great movie.