Passengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Passengers Reviews

June 15, 2018
Cute flick for what it's wroth. Decent weekday watch. I was hoping for more of a sci-fi movie than a love story.
½ June 10, 2018
I liked android bartender the best
June 5, 2018
Passengers lures you in with a star studded cast and the promise of an intergalactic adventure in kinship to character-driven films like gravity and the Martian. However, much like the main characters Pratt and Lawrence, I too found myself wanting to escape and losing hope at around the 40-minute mark.
There are no epic life-changing stories to be learned from passengers. The characters fail to take-off and the script and storyline play it far too safe which ultimately results in this movie being a predictable and lack-lustre space affair which I won't be revisiting.
June 5, 2018
The Shape of Water has 92 tomatometer. It is evidently a B-movie in all respects but hey, it has a token gay man, a token deaf ugly woman, a mandatory bad white man who hates women, so the critics CAN NOT give it the low tomatometer (let's say 20, to be extremely generous) it deserves.
The Last Jedi has 92 tomatometer. It is a cinematic disaster with a plot full of holes. It disrespects and purposely destroys everything built in the previous installments of the saga and operates the most evident and painful character assassination in the history of Cinema, but hey, it has a token ugly fat asian girl, a token black man, a token purple haired lesbian and a scene which is basically a lecture on animal cruelty, so the critics CAN NOT give it the low tomatometer (10 in my opinion) it deserves.

Movie critics today works this way. As a director you have to spend all of your time ticking ethnic/sexual/minority checkboxes. The story is not important. Character development is not important. Special effects and photography will suffice to appease the damaged brains of critics paid by the majors.

Passengers is a very good movie, with a well structured plot, with good enough character exploration and development. Plus it has a very good photography and editing. Had it some token ethnic/minority character, it would easily get more than 90 tomatometer.

Shame on you, critics.
June 4, 2018
'Passengers' succeeds in keeping a hold on its audience till the end.
It has received some hostile reviews because the film creates empathy for the protagonist (Chris Pratt's Jim), who makes a terrible decision which basically sentences Jennifer Lawrence's character (Aurora) to live the rest of her life trapped on a spacecraft. However, drama has traditionally focused on heroes who make a disastrous decision or commit a terrible act and then have to suffer the consequences. Pratt does get a chance to redeem himself, which is what we the audience are expecting and the film does play with our expectations of whether he will pay with his life. Maybe if the film had explored the theme of forgiveness, it could have gained some emotional heft, and appeased those critics who were appalled by the film's premise.
The film has many positives. Great casting and chemistry between the actors. Stunning set design and cinematography. Passengers is never less than entertaining.
Perhaps other, better, sci-fi films, such as 'The Martian' and 'Arrival' stole its thunder at the box office, but 'Passengers' is still a film worth paying to see. Recommended.
May 31, 2018
I absolutely love this movie. It is so beautiful. We are all on this ship called earth traveling through space, search for companionship and this movie just melts my heart.
½ May 29, 2018
The film has flaws, but the romance is good and the characters' problematic behavior is addressed critically. Visuals are cool, drama is effective.
½ May 26, 2018
PHENOMENAL . . . first to last scene . . . science fiction, space, love story . . . wonderfully cast, acted, directed, filmed, edited. One of the very, very best . . . one NOT to miss.
½ May 23, 2018
Starts great, with big, existential stuff. Then it takes a creepy turn. Next, dama, romance, action and plot-holes are all thrown together. Finally it turns into a corny feel-good. Sadly, the problematic core is never satisfactorily resolved. So long as you aren't fooled by the beginning into thinking it's more than trashy sci-fi, then it's ok.
½ May 18, 2018
Good movie. I don't know why the low rating, but I enjoyed it. Maybe I just like this kind of alone-in-space tale.
½ May 16, 2018
It was a good movie, except for the ending.
½ May 13, 2018
This is too much plot armor. The guy shouldv'e been burned but no he survives that. He was deprived of oxygen for so long but no he still survives. I don't recommend if you don't like an excessive amount of plot armor.
½ May 12, 2018
This is an amazing film that highlights the story that explores the age old discussion of who would you bring with you to a deserted island - but then expands on the moral implications of such a wish.

I missed the film in the theatres, but caught it On Demand.
From an enjoyment point of view, it was well designed, filmed, directed and most importantly acted. It was completely enjoyable.

I was shocked after watching to see the low critic score.

I wonder if people went into the film with high expecations for some other type of film, or if the trailers portrayed it as more of an action film, than a thoughtful personal journey,
filled with a review of the moral implictions of our wishes and actions.

Recommendation - watch the film for what it is. The acting is superb! It's visually stunning and it will leave you with much to think about for the following days.

Enjoy!!
May 10, 2018
I actually likede the movie. While at least some critics have written that she should have reentered hibernation (and that would have been an appropriate ending), one can also argue the opposite. By agreeing to stay, she had obviously forgiven. Sometimes, having a realistic view of where we are and where we're going can bring sense to those have hurt or been hurt.
May 9, 2018
Passengers is a very good movie. its reviews proves that the crowd that thought that Boyhood was a great movie is composed. of a bunch of idiots the moral issue in this movie is handled vey well. Lawrence is very beautiful as well as being a beautiful human being. she and Chris Pratt do a great job of acting. the last segment of this movie is as exciting as anything I have ever seen. Take that you distractors.
May 6, 2018
Reminded me to start enjoying where I am living instead of waiting and wishing for something else. It's a good lesson to learn.
April 30, 2018
Liked it at first, but the more I think about it, the worse it becomes in my head. Basically, it was worst than what I thought it was going to be, but I love Pratt and Lawrence. It definitely tries to force some elements that I don't think necessarily work in the story.
April 28, 2018
nice chemistry between the 2 stars, kind of a different sci fi story. some of the CGI effects are weak but the overall experience is worthwhile. it will definitely hold your interest (well, it did mine- can't speak for everyone)
½ April 28, 2018
A solid movie with an underwelming conclusion. I loved the idea of using only 4 real charaters to tell a story but it definately has its unanswered questions and everything, definately a top picture for 2016!!!
April 23, 2018
Passengers ist eine Science-Fiction-Romanze von Regisseur Morten Tyldum. Dieser Film ist humorvoll und melodramatisch. Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt und Michael Sheen spielen die Hauptrollen. Der Regisseur Morten Tyldum wurde bekannt durch den Film ''The Imitation Game - Ein streng geheimes Leben''. Passengers ist auf jeden Fall einen Blick wert.