Passengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Passengers Reviews

April 23, 2018
Passengers ist eine Science-Fiction-Romanze von Regisseur Morten Tyldum. Dieser Film ist humorvoll und melodramatisch. Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt und Michael Sheen spielen die Hauptrollen. Der Regisseur Morten Tyldum wurde bekannt durch den Film ''The Imitation Game - Ein streng geheimes Leben''. Passengers ist auf jeden Fall einen Blick wert.
April 23, 2018
The movie should have been longer, more content needed to be at the end after everyone else woke up
½ April 15, 2018
The first half of the movie is magnificent and riveting, alluring with its mystery and a feel of loneliness it conveyes. It's interesting to watch them both caught in these circumstances. But then the third awakes and the awfulness begins the more disappointing that it touches every aspect of the film. I won't say anything about the horrendous screenplay of the second half of the movie but they even act start strangely. It's almost like the director fired up with a new idea and just wanted to finish this movie faster.

Update: after the second viewing the film improved vastly for me; I liked the idea of the triumph of life in dire straits.
April 8, 2018
This a great mix of a romance and sifi film! I love it! And they also could not have picked two better actors for the job!
April 8, 2018
this is a good movie overall,the shots,cgi,plot,story, acting, lines are good. the only pathetic here is the critic, surely they didnt go to film school, they just bragging about story and characters but they dont appreciate the color grading, shots, transitions, etc of the film, such pathectic bunch of idiot critics
½ April 5, 2018
Passengers is one of those movies where you either love it or you hate it. Lucky for me, I loved it. Lawrence and Pratt were fantastic as always, proving just why they're two of todays biggest actors yet again. The only practical criticism I have for this movie was the fact that the green screen was a tiny bit dodgy at times, a part from that, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ April 5, 2018
Its not bad like the critics make it out to be. Even though it wasn't perfect, I found it very entertaining. And I like the chemistry between JL and Chris.
April 4, 2018
The Avalon, a sleeper ship transporting 5,000 colonists and 258 crew members in hibernation pods, is on course to the planet Homestead II, a journey taking 120 years. Thirty years into its journey, the ship passes through an asteroid field, which causes a malfunction. The malfunction awakens one passenger, mechanical engineer Jim Preston (Chris Pratt), 90 years too early. After a year of isolation, with no company except an android bartender named Arthur (Michael Sheen), Jim grows despondent and contemplates suicide. One day, he notices Aurora Lane (Jennifer Lawrence) in her pod. He watches her video profile and is immediately smitten. After struggling with the morality of manually reviving Aurora for companionship, he awakens her, claiming her pod also must have malfunctioned. Aurora is devastated that she will grow old and die before the ship reaches Homestead II. Her attempts to re-enter hibernation are fruitless. Eventually, she accepts her situation and begins writing a book about her experiences. Jim and Aurora grow closer, and eventually fall in love. After another year, Jim inadvertently allows Arthur to reveal the truth to Aurora by saying that he and Aurora have "no secrets" between them. Aurora is devastated; she considers his action tantamount to murder. She alternately berates, shuns, and physically attacks Jim. The two refrain from contact for some time. Soon after, another pod failure awakens Gus Mancuso (Laurence Fishburne), Chief Deck Officer. The three discover multiple failures throughout the ship's systems. If not repaired, the ship will continue to suffer critical system failures. Gus attempts to repair the ship with Jim and Aurora's help, while Aurora still blames Jim for stealing her life. Gus becomes ill; unlike Jim's, his body was physically damaged by his malfunctioning pod. The Autodoc, an automated medical diagnostics and treatment pod, shows he has only hours to live. Before dying, Gus gives Jim and Aurora his ID badge to access crew-only areas and repair the ship. Jim and Aurora discover a series of hull breaches from the meteor collision two years earlier. The computer module administering the fusion reactor that powers the ship has been damaged, causing the ship's escalating malfunctions...

Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Passengers proves Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence work well together - and that even their chemistry isn't enough to overcome a fatally flawed story." Mick LaSalle of The San Francisco Chronicle gave the film three out of four stars. He stated "despite the confinement and the limited cast, Passengers has moments of intense drama that take the actors to places of extreme feeling." James Dyer of Empire gave the film 4 out of 5 stars, stating the film is "as surprisingly traditional as it is undeniably effective." He described the film as "Titanic amongst the stars" and "a touching, heartfelt tale of loss and love for the Gravity generation." Peter Keough of The Boston Globe gave the film two and a half out of four stars, stating "perhaps as a well-written play for a cast of three, Passengers might have been first class. Instead, it's just another mediocre thrill ride." Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian called the film an "appealing sci-fi romance" but criticized the final act as an "anticlimax". He gave the film three out of five stars. Rebecca Hawkes of The Telegraph described the film as not a romance but "a creepy ode to manipulation", describing the action as a "central act of violence" that is softened and justified. Andrew Pulver of The Guardian called it an "interstellar version of social-media stalking" with "a fantastically creepy start" that, contrary to romantic comedies that manage to "plane down" the nastiness of stalking tactics, presents them in a way where "it's gruesomely inescapable". Alissa Wilkinson of Vox called it "a fantasy of Stockholm syndrome, in which the captured eventually identifies and even loves the captor" and "a really disturbing wish fulfillment fantasy".

"Passengers" never gets exciting nor intriguing during its running time. With a story that settles for human error and failure to handle technology via common sense, everything in "Passengers" becomes a bit stupid to be honest. The longing for love and the desperation of not being lonely in a more and more isolated world is for sure a current topic on a global scale, but is it intriguing in this outer space journey adventure? No, if you can´t find a thrilling way of doing it with actors that can portray it in a convincing way. Pratt has that sad puppy look throughout the film, while Lawrence handles her role a bit better in my point of view. Non of the characters grasp your attention and win you over. We can see inspiration from Kubrick in settings and environments in "Passengers", which is fine to me and feels like a nice homage to the late Kubrick. However, the clear inspiration and parallels to insanity developed via isolation from "The Shining" is not explored properly in the film which is not understandable as that would´ve been adding so much more to the film. The film has plot holes and not logic actions from the main characters that bothers you when seeing it. This film just trips on its own legs. "Passengers" is an easily forgotten film I am afraid to say.

Trivia: - The bar room is inspired by the bar room from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980). Similarities include: the bartenders are dressed in red tuxedos, carry themselves in a sophisticated manner, have a strange friendship with the lead male, are not concerned with payment, bartenders are unable to leave. In addition, the primary light source in the bar and lounge shines from below rather than above. Finally, a variation on the iconic orange and red carpet design from Overlook Hotel hallways can be seen in the seating area.
½ April 4, 2018
JLaw continues her saga, as she racks up yet another Hollywood hunk!
Ohh, damn it, it sucks to be right in this case! You could feel it in the trailer: the unmanageable tone, the space adventure wannabe mood and the dramatic ambivalence. When you see enough trailers, you become good at spotting them and this film confirmed every fear I had. Original stories are becoming scarce in Hollywood but if the original ones are going to be like this, I'd rather see Airplanes 3. But what makes this movie so average you ask? Maybe it's the tonal shifts, or the annoyingly passable music (and it pains me to say this as it was composed by one of my favorite composers, think WALL-E and Finding Nemo). More than that, it's the frankly weak script combined with Tyldum's direction. Structurally it feels wrong, the scenes don't breathe and everything that you already expect keeps happening just to rashly kick start the other bit that is completely different in tone to the previous one. Also, it's important for a director to know how to signal an ellipsis and in a time when everything has been tried, what do you do to show that some time has passed? Writing "1 year later" or growing a beard is simply not enough, we have to feel that the character has changed. In this movie, the characters don't change in accordance to what they are supposed to but WHEN they're supposed to. They both at some point lose their minds and I don't feel where they come from, I don't sense that some time has passed to let the atmosphere sink in and therefore I don't feel their romance or tension. Also the actors receive a dubious performance direction which is bizarre knowing they were directed by the guy who brought us The Imitation Game, a film that I love and that deals delicately with homosexuality and psychological havoc, being mainly carried by extraordinary portrayals. Yet, there are a few scattering scenes that do manage to grab your attention (I fairly enjoyed the bubble one), the set design is stunning and the visual effects do an efficient job. Also, Michael Sheen shines as Arthur and the plot glosses over some interesting positions. And, despite the misdirection, Pratt and JLaw are still magnetic and keep the story afloat. How do you know when it's not worth your money? When it's exponentially more fun on set...
April 3, 2018
Once again, Hollywood critics are mostly clueless.
March 29, 2018
An entertaining "what if" for human interplanetary travel and colonization. Liked the chemistry between Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Enjoyed it much more than I expected!
March 29, 2018
The only part I really didn't like about it is the part where he decides to wake her up....
March 26, 2018
best Spaceship have house or fun things
½ March 21, 2018
I enjoyed it for what it was
March 18, 2018
I liked the movie and something about it stands out to me that I would watch it again. Biggest Flaw: Lack of thought from the characters. Everything else about them to me were just interesting, even if morally wrong. But resolutions or realizations are only accidents. They only seemed distracted by the failure of their own pods rather then try to really solve anything. I guess it saves movie time by chancing it that the audience will want to fill in the holes or think its a waste of time to do so. 3/5
½ March 18, 2018
A little bit slow in places but definitely worth a watch.
March 18, 2018
I watched this last night and really enjoyed it! I found it a refreshing change from a lot of sci-fi films as it was very character focused. I'm genuinely a little upset that it has received so many negative reviews as it's a great premise and, in my mind, executed very well (except for the occasional unrealistic physics, but what space film doesn't have that). The characters are complex and imperfect, but as such, believable, and create a great portrayal of human nature in a very unique scenario.
½ March 17, 2018
Another movie that was criticized and turned me away from initially seeing it, when in fact you can just enjoy it for what it is.
½ March 16, 2018
Despite its ridiculous premise, Passengers could have been great if it was told correctly with the proper tone. However, the film's unfocused storytelling and sloppy attempts to fit into multiple genres prevent it from carrying any emotional weight.
½ March 16, 2018