The Pick-Up Artist Reviews

• May 23, 2018

Dumb lame teenager romance movie.

Dumb lame teenager romance movie.

• Apr 21, 2018

I do not know what it is, but The Pick-Up Artist is like the third movie I’ve watched recently from Robert Downey Jr.’s early film career where it seems they forgot the most basic principles of script-writing. Nothing is properly set up, people jump from here to there with little motivation, it’s all a mess. The main characters are a weird amalgamation of different personality traits that don’t gel into realistic people. It’s most noticeable with Molly Ringwald because she is playing this hard-working girl who loves her father, and wants to see him get clean. But simultaneously, she’s playing a heavy gambler who stakes her father’s life on a game of blackjack, and a girl who sleeps with random guys she’s just met. It’s no wonder she spends a large portion of this movie with no expression on her face, I doubt she knew what her character would even think at any given moment. Things kind of come together into a coherent story in the climax, even if the way it all goes down is ridiculous. The only redeeming quality in The Pick-Up Artist, and what keeps it from being one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, is the cast. Despite the material, RDJ is still charming, Molly Ringwald still manages to bring that girl-next-door innocence, Dennis Hopper is a lovable drunk, and Harvey Keitel is a menacing bad guy. It’s a movie I’d recommend to no one, but at least these veteran actors made it so I could watch The Pick-Up Artist without totally wanting to kill myself.

• Dec 30, 2017

The Pick Up Artist is a bizarrely bad movie of the kind only James Toback seems capable of. This mess of a romantic comedy and a gangster movie attempts to be both conventional and unconventional. Toback's thing has always been arthouse style talky existentialism with a healthy dose of New York. Watching him try to cram that unusual sensibility into a mainstream movie would be unwatchable were it not for Robert Downey Jr. and Molly Ringwald who, at the very least, remain likable even as they struggle against a director lost in his attempt to serve the commercial and the arty. https://geeks.media/classic-movie-review-the-pick-up-artist?_ga=2.54520296.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710

• Nov 09, 2017

Film was soured by morality, of lead character. The actors were good, but the morality of the film was off.

• Jun 25, 2016

Knocking out some 80s films! Old school RDJ.

Knocking out some 80s films! Old school RDJ.

• Mar 31, 2016

Even with the young Robert Downey Jr. chasing Molly Ringwald, this comedy certainly wasn't very consistent. It has a few laughs, it has the odd moment of charm, but it just seems to be missing something.

• Aug 17, 2015

This movie is endearing to me in so many ways. I absolutely adore it from start to finish. First saw this movie in my early teens. It's the movie that gave me my first crush: Robert Downey Jr. Still love him till this day. P.S. For some reason I have always loved the name: Serge Handfeld!! :)

• Jun 14, 2015

james toback's lowest key movie is an enjoyable romantic- comedy with good performances, albeit a tad slow, but still entertaining.

• May 30, 2014

Finally, Hollywood finally lets everyone know gambling solves all of your problems (not to mention, alcoholism is cute)! Really strange vibe to this movie. The actors aren't very good in this, but I do just still sort of like them (Ringwald being cute and I think I'm just imaging a post Iron Man Downey in this role).

• Apr 08, 2014

Predictable, but cute if not taken to serious. The actors make it interesting, but the material is crap.