Pixels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pixels Reviews

October 16, 2016
I was really hoping this would have me laughing through out the whole movie but it just wasn't funny. I have heard every single one of those jokes before and the movie was hard to take seriously. The best part was how original the idea was and though it may sound good on paper, it just wasn't executed well.
½ October 15, 2016
I don't know what's wrong with the critics & audience here. this was one of the best films I've ever seen.
½ October 14, 2016
Don't waste that quarter. Go play Pac-Man instead.
½ October 13, 2016
My #3 worst movie of 2015. Adam Sandler, I'm sorry. You suck!
½ October 7, 2016
weird movie. maybe only for gamers? ??
½ October 6, 2016
It felt rushed out and had bad cgi and forigitabal. Jokes this film what's strictly for kids which boring lives
½ October 6, 2016
I had extremely low expectations, but it was surprisingly entertaining. The overall premise is absurd (video game aliens?), America's response to them is that they're able to plan, create weapons, and defeat them over just 3 days (approx), and Kevin James as President? However, if you can look past the absurdities it is decently acted and fairly fun to watch.
October 1, 2016
it is the best I think
½ October 1, 2016
So many people just mindlessly jump on Sandler hate bandwagon because it's apparently cool even to this day. Like Geez... knock it off already.
½ September 27, 2016
Did Adam Sandler run out of funny? Because most of his older movies are great, but more recent ones like this...are terrible.
September 24, 2016
Funny. Makes me want to go to an arcade!!!
½ September 24, 2016
without the love scene it would be a 4.5
September 23, 2016
Unfunny jokes, unrealistic scenarios, horrible acting, and underwhelming action sequences make pixels one of the worst movies of 2015.
September 13, 2016
This isn't a movie meant to be viewed normally. You're not supposed to take a look at it and judge the characters and the plot and the yada yada yada. This is a movie you're meant to admire. You're supposed to go to it and say "Whoa! Pac-Man! And he's huge!" and be in awe of it. It's meant for fans of such timeless, classic games. It's something to be appreciated, and I respect Sandler's ambition for producing such a visibly fabulous and rightfully memorable film. Not perfect, but impressive.
September 12, 2016
It's obvious who made this movie.
½ September 9, 2016
Well...it's definitely the best Adam Sandler vehicle in recent years.

(Correction: it's the best LIVE-ACTION Adam Sandler vehicle in recent years, as although I wasn't a huge fan of "Hotel Transylvania," it's far and away the comedian's best offering in close to a decade.)

But that speaks more to the anemic quality of Sandler's current filmography than to any of this film's merits, as "Pixels," while not without some charm, is really something of a dud. In many ways, the film is a far cry from the usual Happy Madison--Sandler's long-time production company--offering, as it contains elaborate special effects, a high-concept plot, and a relatively big name director (Chris Columbus, who helmed "Home Alone," the first two "Harry Potter" movies, and the first "Percy Jackson" movie, among others).

But what it's missing is humor, and that's a pretty key component...especially when you have a plot as bizarrely outrageous as this.

The movie opens in 1982 and we're introduced to three young friends named Sam, Cooper, and Ludlow. Sam and Ludlow are proficiently skilled at arcade games and, as such, they compete in the video game championships where they are defeated by long-time champion Eddie Plant. Footage of the competition is included in a time capsule of the year and then launched into space so that extra-terrestrials can get a glimpse of how things are on Earth. (I have no idea if this was actually a thing. I always thought time capsules were buried in the ground so they could be dug up decades later.)

Fast forward 33 years, and Sam (Sandler) is a technician for a cable and home-theater company, Cooper (Kevin James) is the President of the United States (yeah, I didn't really see that one coming either), and Ludlow (Josh Gad) is a paranoid conspiracy theorist who lives in his grandmother's basement. The three come together once again when the world comes under attack by aliens. It seems they've come into contact with the time capsule that was launched all those years ago, but they've interpreted it as a declaration of war, and as their weapons of battle, they've created...giant, sentient versions of the classic arcade video game characters to destroy the world's cities.

Yeah, um...I don't really know what to say. I've always been a proponent of granting a movie its premise, but even I'm having kind of a hard time with this one. You're not supposed to apply logic to such scenarios, but I just can't help it; for starters, it seems awfully foolish of the aliens to use weapons that their enemies are familiar with, which they would've clearly seen in the time capsule. After all, the video game championship was all about people WINNING at these games. This just isn't a very good battle strategy.

Clearly the plot is just meant to be a thin clothesline for the set-pieces involving the giant, pixelated alien-controlled enemies. It didn't surprise me to learn that "Pixels" was based on a two-minute short film which basically consisted of the video game characters attacking New York City, and that was it. You don't really need an explanation for events in a short film, particularly one running so brief. If you try to expand on such a simple premise, you get this weirdo storyline involving aliens.

I wouldn't be harping on this so much if the movie had made me laugh, but "Pixels" is surprisingly dry. Much of Sandler's recent output has been borderline insulting, and while there isn't anything here approaching that level of awfulness-it's a pretty soft PG-13 rating, particularly for Sandler; it's about as "family friendly" as he can get (again, apart from "Hotel Transylvania")-nothing about it really tickled my funny bone either. Josh Gad has a few amusing moments, and Peter Dinklage, as the adult version of Eddie Plant, is probably the best thing in the movie. But Michelle Monaghan is wasted as the "love interest," and the great Brian Cox blusters his way through the role of a stock, blowhard army general whom the movie keeps implying is going to play a bigger part than he ends up playing. It's all pretty dull, and for the most part, this is a pretty laugh-free event.

To be completely fair, unlike most Sandler fare, "Pixels" is more of a special effects-infused adventure as it is an outright comedy, but even then the results are middling. Some of the set-pieces are engaging enough. I particularly liked the Pac-Man segment, in which the characters drive around in little colored coupes and attempt to catch the giant yellow muncher. (Their cars are stand-ins for Pac-Man's ghostly enemies.) There's also a sequence involving Donkey Kong hurling barrels at the characters that worked pretty well, even if Sam breaks the rules of the original game here.

But these are amusing moments of diversion in an otherwise languid affair, and there's really nothing about "Pixels" that renews my faith in Sandler's flagging filmography. There's nothing really atrocious or offensive here, but there's also none of the impish, anarchic sense of absurdity found in his earlier films like "Happy Gilmore" and especially "Billy Madison." Considering the storyline of "Pixels," this could've been a prime opportunity for Sandler to let loose again, but in a way that isn't insulting to audiences' intelligence. But this is all just bland and uninspired. You want a movie with a retro arcade-y like feel, stick with "Wreck-It Ralph."

Game Over.
September 5, 2016
What was Adam Sandler thinking on this one? I can defend the movies he made earlier but this is just rock bottom
August 30, 2016
The CG and directing are the only things that gets this disappointment anything CLOSE to a good score. The acting is mediocre, but the writing is just EMBARRASSING and resorts to ridiculing its fucking audience for the sake of a joke. Plot developments have plot holes that are never addressed. This isn't a movie. It's CULTURAL VANDALISM.
August 24, 2016
This was a grate movie
August 22, 2016
One star for a reasonably cool soundtrack