PT 109 Reviews

• Jun 29, 2019

Robertson made no attempt to act like Kennedy. Isn't that what "acting" means? Doesn't a good actor study dialects mannerisms, and speech patterns? Was Marlon Brando the first actor to really play a part? Was Meryl Streep the first actor to really understand that playing a part meant speaking like who they were portraying? This was a potentially significant movie, but it missed any claim to greatness because of the actors' deficits and the script that was paltry and threadbare. That this incident led to bigger things, like the election of JFK as Senator, would have tightened things down and changed the movie's dull pace.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Dec 18, 2018

As one with salt in my veins (BT3-USN,FSOPS,USCGAux)I enjoyed it. I put my self in their shoes. Having been through 1 ship wreck that seen was a bit to real! I wonder too if the real JFK was as passive as he was portrayed in the movie. I wonder why CO Richie attitude changed when JFK told him he had been trained at 'Melville'? overall 4.7

• Nov 23, 2017

A feel good piece about JFK and his role in the South Pacific in ww2.

A feel good piece about JFK and his role in the South Pacific in ww2.

• May 29, 2016

Fine performance and honoring portrayal of JFK. Even Kennedy himself thought it was longish, and many others chalk it up to a bit of charming propaganda, but regardless of your viewpoint it demonstrates aspects of the Pacific theater well.

• Apr 26, 2016

Solomon Islands, 1943. US forces are slowly pushing the Japanese out of the region. Short of larger warships, and suited to the shallow, narrow waters of the Solomons, the US Navy is heavily reliant on Patrol Torpedo (PT) boats to harry the enemy and perform all manner of other duties. One such boat is PT-109. Based on a (mostly) true story, here we see PT-109's exploits in the Solomons campaign, especially one incident for which it would become famous. Moreover, the movie focuses on the exploits and derring-do of PT-109's commander, Lt (jg) John Fitzgerald Kennedy... Good, entertaining depiction of JFK's wartime adventures in the Solomons, and the one famous incident in particular. Never dull, and with some degree of grit, this is a rollicking adventure story. Some liberties taken with regard to historical accuracy, but not major ones. Reasonably accurate, militarily. Is possibly a bit too folksy at times in terms of the crew interactions. Good work by Cliff Robertson as JFK. Supporting cast put in solid performances too. Possibly even more fascinating than the movie is the making of it. JFK was President when the movie was made. He had veto power over the choice of director (he blocked at least one chosen director), got to choose who played himself (Cliff Robertson got the nod) and had input into other areas of the movie too. He managed to see the movie (he was assassinated five months after it was released) and said he liked it, but also thought that, at 2 hrs 20 mins, the movie was perhaps too long.

• Nov 29, 2014

JFK was the last Democratic President really patriotic.

JFK was the last Democratic President really patriotic.

• Jan 31, 2014

PT 109 is an excellent film. It is about President John F. Kennedy's war time experiences during which he captained a PT boat, took it to battle and had it sunk by a Japanese destroyer. Cliff Robertson and Ty Hardin give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Leslie H. Martinson did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. PT 109 is a must see.

• Jan 27, 2014

It's all a bit cheesy and perhaps overly long but its hard not to get caught up in the old fashioned fun of this well made war epic. Cliff Robertson doesn't exactly play the role of JFK as we think of him today but he holds his own with charm and a nice dose of mugging for the camera.

• Mar 23, 2013

130325: Who doesn't love PT boats? The Corsairs of the oceans. Saw this movie years and years ago and had to see it again. A little dated and slow but still good. Now to John Wayne and They Were Expendable.