Queen Bee Reviews

• May 21, 2017

Excellent Joan Crawford vehicle. Scary controlling bitch and she knows it. Terrific interaction between all the characters. Having a lotta money may not make you happy.

• Apr 24, 2017

Strong performances in a depressing story. Not much to add from what everyone else has said, except that I loved Crawford's gowns. She's 51-years-old here and except for those eyebrows (why, Joan, why??) she looks fabulous!

• Jun 10, 2015

The late Betsy Palmer was so young and pretty here

The late Betsy Palmer was so young and pretty here

• Mar 08, 2014

Joan Crawford is the titular Queen Bee who manipulates and ruins the lives of all those who live in her gentile southern mansion. This is vintage Joan and interestingly enough, Christina Crawford, Joan Crawford's adopted daughter, recounted in her autobiography "Mommy Dearest" that she had to leave the theater midway through a showing of this film because it was too true-to-life in her mother's portrayal of the main character.

• Sep 10, 2013

This whole movie is basically an excuse to showcase Joan Crawford doing what she does best, which is play a total bitch.

• Feb 21, 2013

Queen Bee is an incredible film. It is about a Southern socialite whose manipulation and ruthlessness ruins the lives of everyone around her. Joan Crawford and Barry Sullivan give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Ranald MacDougall did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Queen Bee is a must see.

• Jan 08, 2013

Never come between me and my liquor. You'll get knocked down. Eva Phillips is a southern socialite that can be charming one moment and manipulative and conniving the next. She invites a distant niece to come live with her and join in her games. What her niece finds is that most people can't stand her but she struggles to understand why. Will the niece defend and save Eva or join the minions trying to bring her down? "I've been very rude?" "Oh, no. Not very." "Good, then I don't have to apologize." Ranald MacDougall, director of Man on Fire (1957): The World, The Flesh, and The Devil; The Subterraneans; Go Naked in the World; and Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County, delivers Queen Bee. The storyline for this picture is unpredictable and contains wonderfully intricate characters. I adored watching the plot unfold and the cast delivers wonderful performances. The cast includes Joan Crawford, John Ireland, Betsy Palmer, and Fay Wray. "I don't like you." "Well, I like you." I have become fond of Crawford pictures. She isn't particularly pretty but she does have an awkward sense of unpredictability about all of her characters. She can be ruthless and generous in the same gesture. Her smiles can be authentic and fake at the same time. I find her characters extremely intriguing and definitely entertaining. This movie is another entertaining Crawford picture that I strongly recommend seeing once. "Your turn will come. She'll sting you one day." Grade: B+

• Nov 18, 2012

not bad crawford goes evil-again!

not bad crawford goes evil-again!

• Nov 02, 2012

This film was tailor made for Joan Crawford at best.

This film was tailor made for Joan Crawford at best.

• Jan 21, 2012

A largely forgotten vehicle for an aging Joan Crawford. The grand dame in question plays a conniving yet mellifluous socialite who sours the life off all the people around her. She decides to take in a young relation who serves as her maid/personal assistant/bitch. Overburdened with clichà (C)s and drawn-out melodrama, this film only keeps from failing completely due to the performance of Crawford who portrays the vicious Eva with great vitriolic aplomb, setting down her insincerity and malice so convincingly that you canâ(TM)t wait for her to get her comeuppance.