Rundskop (Bullhead) Reviews

• Feb 24, 2020

Love it. Very intense movie. Great acting. Remind me a bit to Ryan Gosling's Drive.

• Nov 28, 2019

Horrifying. Shakespearean, no, even more tragic. I bled for Jackie. Matthias is beyond superb. Dark, brooding, haunting, but well worth the watch.

• Sep 18, 2018

I absolutely loved 'The Drop' so I figured I'd give this earlier effort by Roskam a go. In many ways you can see why he went on to make such a great film. He has all the ingredients here but doesn't quite pull them together, whereas in that later film he had a Lehane novel to work with. Many parts of this work really well, but they're mostly in isolation and don't ever quite add up to a cohesive, satisfying whole film.

• Aug 17, 2017

Dark, gritty and affecting, 'Rundskop' is, at its core, a film about how a traumatic event from a man's childhood not only has a huge impact on who he becomes as an adult, but also changes the entire course of his life as he struggles to contain his anger and block out the past, a task that becomes impossible when it catches up with him, forcing him to confront it (bull) head on. Add to that the crime-thriller element with a smart plot, as well as great cinematography, adept direction from Roskam and a particularly intense performance from Schoenaerts, and you have yourself a film that is definitely one to watch.

• Jan 19, 2017

Best Belgian Movie. Stop

Best Belgian Movie. Stop

• Nov 12, 2016

Seen for the 3th time now , with dutch subtitles thanks ...Great performens by Matthias Schoenaerts and the rest of the Cast ...Peace of Art my Idea ! SOMDVD

• Sep 19, 2015

Jacky is a beef farmer, he deals in illegal meat hormones and is also a steroid/hormone abuser due to a childhood assault that has left him scarred. When some Belgian gangsters assassinate a federal agent involved in investigating their illegal trade he gets more involved in the underworld than he would care for. There are way too many characters and things going on that this is a rather uneven film, there is some good acting and camera work but you couldn't take your eyes off the film for a minute in case you missed something else (a few things weren't even involved in the final outcome). A bit of a jumbled mess but shows that Roskam has a future, as shown with The Drop (an excellent film).

• Aug 25, 2015

A bit too flat until the ending scene.

A bit too flat until the ending scene.

• Apr 11, 2015

Michaël R. Roskam's story of The Belgian Mafia underworld is a devastating and shocking exploration into damaged psyches and consequences. As perceived by a man so incredibly damaged by childhood bullying and so lost in an ever-growing haze of steroid abuse that his sexual conflicts, rage and anger veer into an almost surreal nightmare. Beautifully shot by Nicolas Karakatsanis and featuring a brutally painful performance by Matthias Schoenaerts - this film is absolutely captivating from beginning to end. A unique, powerful, angry, sad, fragile and near cinematic masterpiece.

• Mar 13, 2015

I have had this for over year but after re-watching 'The Drop' I had to dig out Michaël R. Roskam's 2012 flick. Matthias Schoenaerts is now one of my favourite actors. His performance and natural body build is quiet remarkable. It has some moments of dark humour but the main flashback scene is quiet horrific. A must see.