Running With Scissors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Running With Scissors Reviews

September 20, 2016
I find it hard to believe that any of this shit actually happened. The really astounding thing about this movie that I was able to get all the way through it.
June 26, 2016
Think your family is dysfunctional? Not even close to this one. Apparently the family is suing Augustan Burroughs for slander. Funny because they're the freaks. Anyway, this movie was really good. It even got me a bit teary eyed. This is one I can definitely recommend.
½ May 23, 2016
Now I haven't read Running With Scissors, nor anything by Augusten Burroughs. So not sure how accurate the movie was. I heard the book is better of course and that a lot was left out. I do enjoy this movie. Back when my movie collection wasn't big this was constantly on. People don't seem to like this movie so I would say it's not for everyone. It is pretty weird so not surprised it's not to everyone's liking. I'm blown away by the acting. It has great acting from a stellar cast. Love Annette Bening & Gwyneth Paltrow. Crazy that it was directed by Ryan Murphy. Perfect soundtrack.Love all the songs. The story is definitely weird. To the point where it's unbelievable. It's crazy what people go through, how different people's lives are. Slightly dark & bizarre comedy. Has some great lines that I still remember to this day. "Where would we be without our painful childhoods?" It gets a little slow at times but nothing too bad. After Augusten's alcoholic dad leaves, his unstable mother basically gives him to her therapist & his dysfunctional family. What he goes through is unbelievable & heard it's far worse in the book. It's not one of my all time favorites but I enjoy putting it on once in awhile. Entertaining watch.
½ May 1, 2016
Well, I read the book many years ago and was stunned by the "facts" presented by "Mr. Burroughs" (Not his real name). The book was very explicit, emotional, raw & heartbreaking. And please, Ryan Murphy??? The guy who has the most scandalous, over the top TV show in American history? (AHS). How dare you whitewash this story and clean everything up to appease straight America into the theaters. It's not your style. Not anymore, anyway. Augusten's age is way off base in the film & the actor portraying him did not look like a 14 year old (and he wasn't, he was 20). The gay sex scenes between him and his older male lover should have been more brazen, more to the point and apparently more factual. The insanity in the Finch home was seriously downplayed in the film, this was a seriously disturbed household. And Augusten's on again/off again, tumultuous relationship with his mom? WAYYY off base in the film VS the book. Not even close. Very disappointing to me. I felt like I watched a PG version film of an NC-17 book. I'm glad Mr. Murphy came to his senses since and has provided us with AHS in all its glory. I just wish he had the balls to push the envelope when he made THIS film.
½ March 27, 2016
A strange story about a group of psychotic people.
February 28, 2016
This was... it was... man listen... you should see this film at least once... & read the book as well... I will be.
January 22, 2016
Unclear in its intent and wildly odd. "Running with Scissors" is not that funny to be honest but do survive a total recall by some of its star-performances and oddness.
August 27, 2015
Pretty dry comedy without Nick flavor or identity of its own. I suspect the book was much better. Brian Cox is hilarious in it though!
July 28, 2015
First half was interesting and then it just got weird
June 5, 2015
It has a few good moments, but overall Running with Scissors is a colossal disappointment. Augusten Burroughs' memoir is one of the best dark comedies out there. Director Ryan Murphy struggles to develop most of the characters. Very disappointing.
½ April 15, 2015
A teenager is raised in the home of a bizarre therapist after his parents abandon him. Strange, sad, discouraging, funny, and hopeful all the same time. Not everyone cup of tea to be sure, and maybe a little overlong, but worth the ride for the right person.
March 26, 2015
A safe adaptation of it's source material, Running with Scissors is a menacing bore.
February 21, 2015
directed by nip/tuck creator Ryan Murphy
February 17, 2015
Bizarre...A good movie, but, weird. Hard to believe it was the story of someone's actual life, and the person in it didn't look like how old he was supposed to be...But, interesting definitely.
½ February 14, 2015
Another great appearance from Annette Benning. Highly quirky and offbeat. The whole situation in the movie in a complete disaster but makes for great off-kilter entertainment.
January 8, 2015
Impossible de terminer le film. Pourtant, je me suis vraiment forcée, mais apres 1h, je devais abandonner.
July 28, 2014
Does not measure up to the book.
½ July 23, 2014
Totally bonkers and a highly unexpected storyline. This swerves from laughter to horror in a heartbeat, keeping you hooked to the very end.
½ June 7, 2014
I'm sitting next to a guy right now who will never let me live down the fact that I picked this movie for us to watch one night. Just terrible.
½ April 23, 2014
The performances are what make this worth watching.