Saturn 3 Reviews

• Sep 18, 2020

Pretty painful. I gave it try for the cast and since it was "curated by TCM" on HBO.

• Sep 13, 2020

I really liked this. It is dated, but you can see a lot of scifi tropes here that have carried into current day modern scifi and anime. For 1970's it is surprisingly well produced, not perfect, but not terrible. Most of all I find it interesting as a look back to the early history of scifi movies. 5 stars for Farrah Fawcett and Kirk Douglass who are both amazing!

• Jul 23, 2020

Some very talented actors are completely wasted in this dull, directionless sci-fi mess.

• May 14, 2020

AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Feb 23, 2020

Hokey and boring, with a killer robot that inspires laughter more than fear. But hey... I guess you get to look at Farah Fawcett...

• Apr 05, 2019

So much of this Alien-rip-off is Farrah Fawcett (who is hilariously bad) and Kirk Douglas (who is shockingly old) nakedly canoodling in their science-y bedroom while a robot monster knowingly terrorizes their ship. Seems like Donen and Co. spent all their time on production design (which is good) instead of storytelling, editing, writing, directing, or acting.

• Mar 11, 2019

Fantasìa espacial que se desluze ante las modernasen ese tiempo de Star Wars.

Fantasìa espacial que se desluze ante las modernasen ese tiempo de Star Wars.

• Jan 29, 2019

For a robot runs amok movie this is all kinds of pointless. The robot is cool but so what. There is no development of anything in this movie. Who these characters are. What motivates these characters or why this murderous dude shows up with a murderous robot. The music is cool but everything else just sucks.

• Jul 23, 2018

Trash - but it still manages to be (mostly) entertaining. Some great production design mixed with mediocre special effects (though the robot is great), terrible script, and non-existent direction. A curious disaster

• Mar 09, 2018

This review contains *spoilers* Although Saturn 3 is clearly a low-key effort I think it really manages to be an entertaining picture.Regarding sci-fi movies people seems to always expect too much on the basic elements associated to the genre,like special effects and scientific accuracy.Since the movie doesn't try to explore deeply the latter the special effects are the real story here.It is dated alright,but there are great movies that were made decades ago that we considere dated and don't hold any prejudice against them like  the Christopher Reeve-Superman films which are still the best out of the Superman movie franchise.If we watch a movie even if its inept in some aspects but we still try to understand what the makers of the film were trying to tell us them we can start appreciating a movie that in other way we would most likely look down without trying to give it an open-minded view.I was open-minded enough to see how the robot Hector was one of the most menacing space robots ever and how dark and claustrophobic the movie was.Do not expect a rumination about future,space or other common themes expected in sci-fi movies here this is basically a slasher film with a robot as villain that only happens to be on space,but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining,cause it is.It has the legendary Kirk Douglas but still the movie is so dark that even Spartacus himself is unable to defeat the enemy (Hector the robot) without sacrificing himself in the process.The movie has a bizarre almost dream-like feel I think it's part of the films ineptitude that helped it being atmospheric,and i'm not being sarcastic here.If you remember Alien that was released the year before Saturn 3 that movie was dark Ripley being the sole survivor along with Jones the Cat but at least she was able to escape from Nostromo and after a brief terrifying final encounter with the title character she escaped to safety.In Saturn 3 Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett ain't that lucky their spacecraft is destroyed by Hector while they're trying to escape trapping all three together in the space station in Saturn's third moon (hence the title) and by doing so one of them will have to sacrifice himself (the man,of course) to save it's companion (Fawcett).Well I would like to see Lieutenant Ripley in that kind of situation at the end of Alien,who she would sacrifice except herself?Jones the Cat?I gotta say that this movie tried to be visually poetic at times for example Kirk Douglas imolation taking Hector with him with explosives was so visually grotesque.They exploding together inside on the water,slow motion,human flesh and robot parts flying with water splashing all over so grotesque it reminded me of the infamous nauseating death of the great white shark in Jaws 4:The Revenge.Actually this scene specifically seems to be influenced by a similar scene from Michelangelo Antonioni's Zabriskie Point.Overall this movie is inept,bizarre,grotesque,incomplete,ugly,laughable and unfocused,but is also ambitious,dark,cruel,unsensitive,cold,nightmarish,violent,transgressive and allucinating.It is not as sharp intelligent as Alien but still if your'e looking for a science fiction film that doesn't talk about science fiction but crazy murderous robots on the loose and Kirk Douglas giving a bizarre hilarious speech before killing himself,then this is certainly a great messy fun.