Scrooged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooged Reviews

½ March 12, 2017
Very good Christmas comedy.
½ January 13, 2017
I love A Christmas Carol, it really holds a special place in my heart and I try to watch some version of it every year. So a parody of A Christmas Carol made in the time when parody movies were actually good? Yeah, I was intrigued.
First of all, Bill Murray is great. The opening scenes where Scrooge (or in this case Frank Cross) is this truly despicable man are a little tough to see him in I will admit. Murray's always been great at playing the likable jerk, but when he has to play this guy who's just an outright awful human being it's a little hard to believe. Once the story gets rolling and we see more of his past though, he really nails it. The panic, bargaining, and eventual heart that this character shows here is really good.
I also have to give props to the production and the story here. I really like the meta elements of how the story of him being visited by the 3 ghosts is happening on the same night as his TV production of A Christmas Carol, it led to some really clever moments. And the settings themselves were great, especially Christmas Yet To Come which is creepy as hell and does a lot of disorienting things with the camerawork.
The one area where this movie falters is, unfortunately, the humor. A lot of the humor goes for these outrageous over-the-top scenes that feel desperate and frankly exhausting to watch. That's not to say it doesn't have its funny moments, it does, it's just there weren't any huge laughs for me and for every moderate laugh there was also a joke that fell completely flat.
It's not a perfect movie. It's pretty inconsistent, and sometimes a bit too goofy for its own good. But it is still really enjoyable, and it's clear that a lot of passion went into it and there was a great love for the source material which I have to admire. There really aren't any modernized takes on A Christmas Carol, this is about as close as it gets, and I liked seeing that take on this story. Murray's a lot of fun, the sets and costumes are really cool, and it's just a fun time.
½ December 28, 2016
It's pacing is all over the place, yet Bill Murray shines despite its flaws.
December 28, 2016
- I have seen this countless times and always love watching it. Bill Murray is classic in it. Such a great movie!

- I always enjoyed this one as a kid...and it still holds-up for me...a Christmas classic!
½ December 28, 2016
Bill Murray does Bill Murray things in this holiday flick that takes a new spin on the classic tale. Some of the special effects are dated, but overall I think it is a solid christmas movie.
½ December 28, 2016
A great modern interpretation of the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol, Bill Murray is simply amazing, his performance is so fun and heartwarming, the script is great and the characters so much fun, a great new Christmas movie.
December 27, 2016
I remember this as being a funny movie, but we went to watch it and it was terrible...turned it off after 10 minutes???
December 26, 2016
Scrooged has some dark humor, a few funny moments, nice special effects and overall a cool twist of the Dickens classic- yet something feels off about the movie. Not all of the humor is good, and sometimes the film can't decide what mood it wants to have. The characters aren't remarkable, though Murray is fun enough. The end gets its point across, but doesn't really fit with the rest of the film. Parts of the movie work, but I can't help but feel like it could have been better.
December 26, 2016
December 2013
December 2016
½ December 25, 2016
One of the best Xmas films.
December 24, 2016
Parts are admirably dark and edgy for a christmas film, while others are so tonally jumbled it's honestly hard to tell if they're trying to be funny or honestly heartfelt.

However I still can't entirely dismiss a Christmas movie where an alcoholic Bobcat Goldthwait tries to gun down an equally smashed Bill Murray before the Ghost of Christmas Future transport's them to a David Cronenberg future.
December 24, 2016
Karen Allen is just not appealing to me. I would never leave dinner with the president for her. This is just really not very good at all. Quite bad, actually. The spirit at the end was nice, though.
jamrcla
December 24, 2016
A very dark tale of the well known Scrooge tale that is full of dark humour, The film starts off well but gets abit too serious and weird but a good performance by Bill Murray just about gets us through the weird stuff, It's not for kids as some bits may scare them.
½ December 22, 2016
Loud and largely unfunny - I guess I was right to have skipped this back in the day. Bill Murray doesn't really do a convincing "mean" - his sense of humor is wryer and more smart-ass than the sub-Don Rickles insult comedy which he is asked to deliver here. The script is a barrage of bad jokes and celebrity cameos flung at the wall with the hope that something will stick. And since this is a version of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, we need to believe that Murray is a bad man in need of transformation -- but he doesn't go all the way in either direction (his previous film The Razor's Edge should have taught him something). Nevertheless, the pay-off at the end (after being visited by scary David Johanssen and awkward Carol Kane plus a guy in a skeleton suit) does hold some rewards - we get a classic Murray improve riff, not exactly funny, but at least feeling authentic at last. Or perhaps I've simply forgotten what Murray was like in the '80s now that he has matured into a very good and often subtle character actor. No subtlety in this picture, however. Oh and if you are wondering, the Scrooge character is a TV exec and there is a tacked on romance sub-plot (featuring Karen Allen) that Dickens didn't cheapen his material with. The "Tiny Tim" surrogate is a young Black fellow who hasn't spoken a word since his father was killed - and, of course, miraculously does as everything comes together in the spirit of Christmas. If only this sentimental ending were earned.
½ December 18, 2016
I still watch this every year, even though it is dated and the ending falls apart a little bit. I have always loved seeing different takes on the classic Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Bill Murray is in one of his standard 80's roles, but he is always fun to watch in this. It is worth watching and sharing with your family ... just don't get the impression that giving someone a VHS player is the new hip gift idea of the year.
December 15, 2016
This modern take on the classic Dickens' novel is fun, but not great. It's no 'Groundhog Day' but Bill Murray's performance is worth watching.
December 14, 2016
Anyone who doesn't love this is crazy! My favorite Christmas movie of all time
½ December 13, 2016
Good film. I enjoyed this, a bit cheesy but funny in parts. Bill Murray owns this movie though!
½ December 9, 2016
Fun but flawed Christmas comedy that works thanks to a great lead performance but suffers from a miscast director. Murray is at his leading man best, playing Frank Cross as a complete scumbag at first with a smidgen of a heart and is always fun to watch, whether mercilessly firing an employee on Christmas Eve (and thus avoiding paying is Christmas bonus) or reacting to the ghosts of past, present & future. He gets nice support from the rest of the cast, particularly Bobcat Goldthwait as the fired employee who slowly goes thru a nervous breakdown. Behind the camera, director Richard Donner keeps the story going but his style doesn't fit the story. The art direction comes off rough and a director like Tim Burton would have been better suited for the material. Overall, a fun Christmas movie, mainly for Bill Murray's superb performance.
December 7, 2016
I was really expecting a very funny movie w/Bill Murray. Something was definitely off with him in this production. Johanson the taxi driver was an exception to a dreay movie...Pass on this one!