Scrooged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scrooged Reviews

April 11, 2018
Every Christmas Eve!!! :)
March 28, 2018
Hilarious and fresh. "Scrooged" is an instant Christmas classic.
February 1, 2018
It is amazing. It has aged very well and is an annual must see for me. Everything about this film is spot on. The actors are terrific, the script holds up, and the score is freakin amazing. Two guesses as to who it's by... It was an 80's film... Danny. Elfman. Yeah. and talking about another man in his prime, this is one of Danny Elfman's most under appreciated scores. It is so very good. Subtle and scary and energetic, yeah it is Elfman and it is good. For More: https://latetothegame.blog/2017/12/06/key-movies-in-my-life-scrooged-1988/
January 20, 2018
I've seen this underrated Christmas comedy so many times I can basically sing along to it like a popular holiday song. "Make sure her nipples are covered up."
December 30, 2017
Great Christmas movie although I really don't like the ending. But the film is mad, wacky, and very funny. And Murray is great in this
December 27, 2017
Who can forget Bill Murray's speech at the end!
½ December 27, 2017
Shouty, loud and crass but mildly amusing for the festive season.
½ December 24, 2017
An enjoyable Christmas comedy with a pretty funny Bill Murray performance and some good ol' Christmas spirit.
December 21, 2017
My favourite christmas movie
December 21, 2017
Bill Murray is excellent and this (relatively) modern take on a classic is refreshing.
December 20, 2017
I love the story by Dickens, but this is my favorite version, by far. My husband and I quote it throughout the year.
December 14, 2017
Scrooged is a 1980s corporate world remake of the classic A Christmas Carol. I like Bill Murray in this movie, his dry humor and jokes do make for a Scrooge-like character. It has good special effects for the time, all three ghosts of Christmas are pretty cool. The movie feels rushed to me, and the ending leaved much to be desired. Overall I like Scrooged and it is in my holiday movie rotation every year.
½ December 9, 2017
Fun but flawed Christmas comedy that works thanks to a great lead performance but suffers from a miscast director. Murray is at his leading man best, playing Frank Cross as a complete scumbag at first with a smidgen of a heart and is always fun to watch, whether mercilessly firing an employee on Christmas Eve (and thus avoiding paying his Christmas bonus) or reacting to the ghosts of past, present & future. He gets nice support from the rest of the cast, particularly Bobcat Goldthwait as the fired employee who slowly goes thru a nervous breakdown. Behind the camera, director Richard Donner keeps the story going but his style doesn't fit the story. The art direction comes off rough and a director like Tim Burton would have been better suited for the material (even is favorite composer, Danny Elfman, provides a memorable score). Overall, a fun Christmas movie, mainly for Bill Murray's superb performance.
May 4, 2017
Scrooged is unique in that it's a modern New York City version of A Christmas Carol. It was moderately entertaining with Bill Murray in the Scrooge role, but it was far from the wholesome Christmas movie I would have preferred. (First and only full viewing - 12/19/2009)
April 11, 2017
Such a great movie. Every CEO and owner of a company should watch this
March 25, 2017
A fun romp. Bill Murray's speech at the end was wonderful. This will become annual Christmas viewing from now on.
½ March 12, 2017
Very good Christmas comedy.
½ January 13, 2017
I love A Christmas Carol, it really holds a special place in my heart and I try to watch some version of it every year. So a parody of A Christmas Carol made in the time when parody movies were actually good? Yeah, I was intrigued.
First of all, Bill Murray is great. The opening scenes where Scrooge (or in this case Frank Cross) is this truly despicable man are a little tough to see him in I will admit. Murray's always been great at playing the likable jerk, but when he has to play this guy who's just an outright awful human being it's a little hard to believe. Once the story gets rolling and we see more of his past though, he really nails it. The panic, bargaining, and eventual heart that this character shows here is really good.
I also have to give props to the production and the story here. I really like the meta elements of how the story of him being visited by the 3 ghosts is happening on the same night as his TV production of A Christmas Carol, it led to some really clever moments. And the settings themselves were great, especially Christmas Yet To Come which is creepy as hell and does a lot of disorienting things with the camerawork.
The one area where this movie falters is, unfortunately, the humor. A lot of the humor goes for these outrageous over-the-top scenes that feel desperate and frankly exhausting to watch. That's not to say it doesn't have its funny moments, it does, it's just there weren't any huge laughs for me and for every moderate laugh there was also a joke that fell completely flat.
It's not a perfect movie. It's pretty inconsistent, and sometimes a bit too goofy for its own good. But it is still really enjoyable, and it's clear that a lot of passion went into it and there was a great love for the source material which I have to admire. There really aren't any modernized takes on A Christmas Carol, this is about as close as it gets, and I liked seeing that take on this story. Murray's a lot of fun, the sets and costumes are really cool, and it's just a fun time.
½ December 28, 2016
It's pacing is all over the place, yet Bill Murray shines despite its flaws.
December 28, 2016
- I have seen this countless times and always love watching it. Bill Murray is classic in it. Such a great movie!

- I always enjoyed this one as a kid...and it still holds-up for me...a Christmas classic!