The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

January 14, 2017
Amazing film. Enough said.
½ December 29, 2016
Important topic and well-executed but too sad for me to watch it again any time soon.
December 29, 2016
With excellent performance and smart script, The Shawshank Redemption has become the one of the greatest drama film after The Godfather.
December 28, 2016
The so called critics were quite off on this masterpiece with their 91% overall rating. This is easily one of the very few 10 out 10 flawless movies of all time. Super great performances combining the human element to its fullest capacity. Many just do not know what they are blabbing about!
December 26, 2016
Excellent Movie, gets the point with Brooks being 'instutionalised' in prison quite brilliantly...
December 25, 2016
Stunning story of hope and humanity.
Beautifully paced. Touching characters.
Triumphant.
December 23, 2016
great film, inspiring and a classic
December 15, 2016
Tells a legendary story with classical characters and an even more powerful characters. Simply a near perfect movie.
December 11, 2016
Stephen King short story - a classic movie.
December 10, 2016
No hay nada que decir una película perfecta con un gran mensaje que dar. Por mas que la mire una y otra vez no encuentro ningún defecto en ella. Sin lugar a dudas mi o unas de mis películas favoritas.
½ December 9, 2016
After years of hearing it referenced in conversations, I finally saw it. The story isn't anything I haven't seen before; plenty of movies have offered better twists and slicker storytelling. But damn if this wasn't one of the most satisfying movies I've ever seen. I've saw the iconic shot of Andy standing free in the rain prior to ever seeing the movie, but when you finally plug it in the context of the film...it gives you goosebumps!
December 9, 2016
Instant moving, intelligent, beautiful and violent classic movie.
December 8, 2016
Ya..... pa que mis amigos cooltillos no me saquen en cara que no se quien es Andy Dufresne. Igual ta wena.
December 4, 2016
"ah si, doveva scavare nel cimitero" cit.
November 30, 2016
One of the best movies ever!
½ November 28, 2016
The Shawshank Redemption is about a man who is wrongfully accused of the murder of his wife and the man she was cheating on him with. Now the plot may not sound like much but this movie is so much more in-depth than any regular prison movie, it is although at times very tragic, it is also uplifting and deeply satisfying with great acting performances from everybody.
½ November 27, 2016
Embrassing to say that I don't think I've ever sat through this from start to finish. It's one of those films where I've come in half way through when channel flicking and so have seen the end several times. Unsurprisingly, there is so much more to see from the beginning and many more revelations that make events a little more poignant come the final scenes. I generally tend to like prison films so this was always going to be captivating, but it's moving storyline definitely makes this one of the best out there. At times you wonder where the film is going because there is more focus on the character relationships than any potential escape attempt, but this is because its been subtly adapted to create that surprise element at the end, which is far more powerful than if it centred on the escape attempt throughout. Admittedly with the arrogance of the warden at the start of the film, suggesting how nobody ever escapes the confinement, it kind of sets the challenge for the prisoners and so you do get a big hint at what's about to unfold, but the journey in getting from A to B in this one is one of the best constructed you'll see. The style of having Morgan Freeman's character narrate over the top of the film works well, and there are various sub character stories running throughout, which divert ones attention from anyone plotting to break free. I have to admit, all these years I actually thought the main character was guilty of his crimes, so it just goes to show what sitting down and watching a film from beginning to end can reveal. For me, it's a great film, but I'm just not sure it's action packed enough to become totally obsessed with regular repeat viewings. Having said that, for anyone who hasn't seen it, or hasn't seen it all the way through, don't make my mistake of thinking you know it all - it's not considered one of the best films ever for nothing.
November 19, 2016
'The Shawshank Redemption' is expertly crafted, drawing the audience in with its moving themes of hope and despair. Writer and director Frank Darabont adapts Stephen King's novel into an engaging screenplay, while also allowing Roger Deakins to truly excel behind the camera with his iconic cinematography. What really makes the film impressive is that although the story revolves around criminals at a prison, it prefers to focus on all of the characters as people. Their committed crimes are often left unmentioned or disregarded, giving ample opportunity for development through dialogue and pure emotion, making them more relatable in the process.
November 18, 2016
Intelligent, inspirational and stunning. You will love the entire movie. It have it all. The Shawshank Redemption must be remembered as one of the best movies in film history.
November 17, 2016
One of the best Hollywood movie. If you don't like movies... give this one a try and you'll fall for it and the nesxt day you'll be recommending it to everyone :D