The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

October 26, 2016
My Favourite Film of All Time is the Shawshank Redemption. I Love everything about this movie from the compelling story of Andy Dufresne to the beautiful friendship between Andy and Red. It is a high recommendation to check this film out if you haven't it is amazing!
October 26, 2016
Underbar konstellation av berättarteknik och skådespeleri. Storyn vävs samman på ett kompetent sätt.
October 26, 2016
An exuberant movie experience with so richly detailed characterization, a poetic way of storytelling, engrossing performances, a deceptive climax and a beautiful background score. Above all what makes this movie so memorable is the most amazing narration from Morgan Freeman.Listening to that legendary hypnotic voice is just pure joy.
October 22, 2016
As far as I can tell, pretty much a perfect movie... I say pretty much because the ending bugged me slightly. Felt tacked on since it breaks the narrative theme in order to have a happy ending. If you see the movie as a plot about a man doing something and resolving that, you're missing the bigger picture and theme of hope. There's so many layers and parallels going on in the movie that it might take a few watches to really truly appreciate how great it is.
October 22, 2016
With The Great Story and Characters This Movie Shows How Inspiring Movie Can Be, It Not Only Delivers All Of That Perfectly But Also Shows Us Best Acting Performances For Both Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.
October 15, 2016
From cinematography to photography through screenplay this movie proves to be an ideal piece of cinema. With proper fluency it gives you no time to deviate from its world. Your first experience of this fine specimen might change your thought about cinema and drama for rest.
October 14, 2016
"Put your trust in the Lord. Your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank"
October 9, 2016
Morgan Freeman's best performance yet.
October 7, 2016
Generally regarded as one of the all-time great movies; if not the greatest, 'Shawshank Redemption', has for some reason avoided my watching for far too long. Thankfully it did not disappoint, instead delivering one of the most enjoyable two and a half hours or so of film that I have witnessed. Beautifully presented, I could not help but quickly become absorbed in the prison environment, and interested in the dynamics that were clear to see. The acting is expertly delivered, so as to become truly interested in each of them, and the journey that they being taken on. The story is somewhat unique in that the finale is not discussed or developed to a great extent. The impact of this is that it comes somewhat out of the blue, and re-gauges the audiences attention on the next phase of the film. I like this technique, whether deliberate or not, and it sets the last few scenes up nicely. A film that everyone simply must see at some point, and worthy of its five star rating.
October 6, 2016
Fantastic and captivating
October 4, 2016
"The Shawshank Redemption" Movie Review

A typical prison movie consists of bad food, dirty surroundings, and physically abusive inmates and guards, while "The Shawshank Redemption" takes this genre to a completely different level. While still including the filth and violence, emotion plays a bigger role. When directing the movie, Frank Darabont ought to have wanted to hit the entire spectrum of emotion. During the movie, the audience will feel themselves cheering from the couch, irritated, or holding back a few tears.

Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is convicted of killing his wife and the man she was cheating on him with, and he is sentenced to two consecutive life sentences. While serving his sentences Andy meets Red (Morgan Freeman), who slowly becomes one of his greatest strengths. Andy uses his previous banking skills to get a job in prison that he enjoys and passes his time with hobbies and devious schemes. The movie, "The Shawshank Redemption" is made perfectly using strategic acting and not to forget about how basic the setting is.

Tim Robbins does a fantastic job playing the main character, Andy Dufresne. He captivates the audience and keeps them watching his every move. He creates a walk and a way of speech for his character. I watched an interview of Tim Robbins shortly after the film was released, and I took special notes of the way that he walked into the room and his tone of voice. He talks softly and walks as if he holds himself up a little higher than he does anyone else when he is not playing the part of Andy Dufresne. During the movie, he walks with more of a lost-like stroll and speaks in a deeper, seductive sound.

For a movie filled with drama, "The Shawshank Redemption" has the most basic special effects. The story took place in The Shawshank Prison for the majority of the movie, so the only props and backgrounds consisted of brick walls, dirty floors, and rusted metal bars. The simplicity of the special effects not only contradicted with the action-filled plot, but it was able to bring the audience into the movie. Everyone can relate to being in a room with brick walls wanting to break free because of how lonely you may feel, which is exactly how the inmates felt.

While the special effects and the props are basic, the plot of "The Shawshank Redemption" could not have been more exciting. The actors did a phenomenal job at pulling the audience into the movie and making them feel like they are there with the actors. Not only does the movie entertain the audience for a little over two hours, but it also educates the typical movie-goers on some issues in prisons in the past. At the time the wardens of prisons were finding scandalous ways to make profits and keep the money for themselves instead of using it for their jobs like they should have been doing. The purpose of this movie was to pass on the tale of the famous prison escapee and to shame the prison systems.
½ October 2, 2016
This is an optimistic, classic movie with excellent performances and direction, that is still beloved by both critics and audiences alike.
September 26, 2016
Most uplifting movie ever made
September 25, 2016
The Shawshank Redemption is a fascinating tale of friendship, life, and (as the title would suggest) redemption. This is truly a film that everybody should see.
½ September 24, 2016
Deliberately slow, if to make us feel as if we are their with Robbins character as the movie takes us through the years. They don't make movies like this anymore. That's why this movie is so special.
September 22, 2016
Moving, emotional, and wonderfully performed by its two leads , The Shawshank Redemption is a timeless piece of cinema about Rehabilitation, Freedom and Hope.
September 21, 2016
What else is there to say? Beautiful film, good message. Super classic
September 14, 2016
In my opinion, it's the greatest film of all time. This movie made me fall in love with Frank Darabont. What a brilliant screenplay and cinematography, which is of course by the all mighty Roger Deakins.
September 10, 2016
One of the best movies ever period!
September 9, 2016
Get busy living or get busy dying.