The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

½ May 9, 2017
Is it bad that I watched this and thought it was based on a true story...

and then was severely disappointed that it wasn't? It was actually based off a book by Stephen King titled "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and from what I read online, it follows the book fairly well. Still, when I was watching the movie I was holding off on my annoyance on just how cliche the film really was.

The twist was spectacular and it left me with a wide-ass grin on my face. But with the knowledge that it's all from a book, the scene with the giant oak tree and Red trying to find the rock now sounds goes from neat to pretty stupid. The entire time I was thinking if this were in the real world and not a movie, there's no way in hell I'd find that rock in just a few scene montages with one song playing in the background while wearing a damn suit in that summer heat. But movies gotta movie and well... he finds it alright. And then just based off of a note and a few hundred dollars, he finds a way to cross the border as a parole evading convict and find Andy somewhere in Zihuatanejo. I wish it was as easy as Morgan Freeman makes it.

Another aspect of the film that got ruined for me with my book realization was Tommy William's role. I thought that it was extremely convenient that Andy would happen to be teaching the only person alive who could prove his innocence. And to make the movie more dramatic, Warden Samuel Norton refused to let Andy go to trial so he had Tommy killed while inhumanely locking Andy up in solitary confinement for two months. It seems to be a popular thing for wardens in films to be power abusing assholes, doesn't it?

Regardless of all of that, The Shawshank Redemption was still a very entertaining film with great storytelling (I mean it is Morgan Freeman narrating) and with one of the best twists to a film ever! Well worth the watch just for that.
May 4, 2017
The best movie of all times.
April 30, 2017
Answer to the question: What movie should've won best picture for 1994? Moving prison drama with hopeful themes about friendship, patience, freedom, suffering, justice, hope, tragedy and triumph. Somewhere along the line it has become one of the highest ranked films of all time including IMDb's #1 film of the top 250. It is difficult to believe this is adapted from a Stephen King story! Shawshank is better each time you watch it. You can take a man out of prison but can't always take the prison out of the man. The film also cemented Morgan Freeman as the greatest narrator of our generation. "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
April 29, 2017
A tribute to the greatness of American cinema. The greatest movie I have ever seen. If you haven't already seen it, do yourself a favor.
April 29, 2017
Great film and an all time classic. I can watched this over and over again.
½ April 26, 2017
This is a motivational story about a group of people in prison. It shows them going through many different conflicts. Most of the guards treat them badly and often abuse the inmates. The ugly realities of prison life are realized in the first half hour of the movie. There was strong acting on all parts. It was expertly shot too. It deserves all of the praise it has received. It's been near the top of imdb's top 10 for years and it's showing no signs of slowing down. It's very moving and it has a lot of character development. It perfectly represents all the struggles that the characters go through. Also, the movie is highly brutal. Especially near the beginning. This isn't for anyone who doesn't like brutality but it's rather fitting in this movie. The way it combined brutality with a highly memorable story makes it something special. It touched me in a way that I cannot describe. Without any doubt, it's the best drama ever and one of the greatest movies of all time.
½ April 26, 2017
"Get busy living or get busy dying." Those are words to live by.
April 25, 2017
A beautiful film full of great performances, Done so well adapting Rita Hayworth's Novel, Shawshank Redemption is film you are guarenteed to fall in love with.
April 24, 2017
There are only two films in my registry that have earned a perfect 10 out of 10 rating: Citizen Kane and The Shawshank Redemption.

Citizen Kane earns it for re-writing the rules of filmmaking, doing so in daring and extraordinary fashion.

The Shawshank Redemption earns it for perfecting those re-written rules. Every facet of movie making--from the script to the acting to the directing to the cinematography to the editing to the score--are done to the highest degree of precision and expression.

As a result, viewers experience the full spectrum of human emotions over the course of the movie. When asked, "What is it that people love so much about movies?" My answer is always the same: because they make us FEEL. Happiness, sadness, terror, love ... whatever the emotion, it's the act of feeling that creates that indelible bond between the person and the picture.
April 23, 2017
One of the greatest feature films ever made!
½ April 23, 2017
Heart-warming and rewatchable, with great performances in front and behind the camera.
April 21, 2017
one of the best movie i have ever watched in my entire lifetime
April 20, 2017
One of the best movies ever
April 18, 2017
Where do I even begin with how good this movie was?
The Shawshank Redemption stars Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. It is about a man who was falsely accused of murdering someone, so he is sent to prison and the story revolves around his friendship with other people in prison. This piece of art is a masterpiece. It is one of the best Stephen King adaptations of all time. The movie displays the intensity of prison violence in a realistic way. Morgan Freeman's character is the character with the best dialogue and is the most likable character in the story. The Shawshank Redemption hit all of the right notes as far as being a drama. The acting was top notch, the screenplay was gold, the cinematography couldn't have been any better, and everything else was ahead of its time.
Over all, The Shawshank Redemption has been voted into the top 10 greatest movies of all time by several different people. I don't blame'em.
April 16, 2017
Una de las mejores películas que he visto.
April 15, 2017
This really is one of the best movies ever made. That's all I have to say.
April 8, 2017
Just the best movie ever made.
April 6, 2017
Yes I do like this movie however a lot of it was stolen from "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood. Plus I'd already read the book so I knew the story. But its a good movie so if you haven't seen it you should.
April 5, 2017
Great awesome movie!
April 1, 2017
There's a reason it's considered one of the greatest films ever made. It's truly beautiful, from the powerful emotional punches to the wonderfully sincere performances from Robbins and Freeman.