The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

July 25, 2016
The Shawshank Redemption is a thoughtful, steadfast stare that lingers in between the shadows and sad silences of the stark prison world that this story manifests itself in. It is a stirring, awesome film that deserves its place as a landmark in contemporary American cinema. The story is a thrilling tale of escape and an intricate meditation on life and imprisonment that balances its dark circumstances and violence with its gentler moments and uplifting ending. It isn't entirely unpredictable, but it steadily hints and builds on one little clever idea after another to a gripping conclusion. It also has an incredible aesthetic. The prison is a grim, grand building filled with dust, iron and dark rooms that create a gritty atmosphere, populated with grimacing characters in bland, period uniforms. It's characters curse and threaten, collude and abuse each other. Andy is thrown into a dangerous, dreary world and he slowly chisels his way out of it.

Somehow it manages to feel grim and intense, but at the same time serene and deliberate. Within the prison walls, there are rapes, beatings, murders, suicides, but between them there are quiet moments of thought and deliberation. Andy brings a sense of humanity to this ugly, brutal place. He brings life into a place that's almost lifeless, where its occupants have largely lost what made them people. He builds a library and plays classical music for the prisoners, teaches many of them how to read and write. He creates meaningful friendships and cooperates with the guards, while at the same time he is undermining the prison in the slow, careful pursuit of his elaborate escape. He is a rich, rewarding character and he has an immaculate supporting cast. Morgan Freeman, the old man, the sergeant and the warden are all awesome characters that add depth to the film.

One of the most powerful things about the film is its statement on life. Andy is a powerful symbol of humanity and resiliency, but one of the scariest realizations is the point the film makes about men that have spent their entire adult lives in prison and don't know how to function in society. Brooks is so disturbed by the thought of leaving that he almost kills his friend and eventually kills himself. This idea serves as a powerful examination on prison life and the toll it takes on a person. The prison warden offers even more insight into the defects of prison life. He abuses his absolute, unsupervised power and it completely corrupts him.
July 22, 2016
*****
This movie is a classic for a reason. The story is brilliant, taking you on a journey with a man wrongly convicted, and this story is supported by amazing performances, and one of the best endings in movie history.
July 20, 2016
I've seen on so many movie sites where this film is top or near abouts on their all time best movies ever and yeah I can understand why it's up there maybe it's down to my personal taste that I think there are better films out there but i'm not saying it's bad because it's not it's quite brilliant and one of a few that will stand the test of time with some great performances and very well told story maybe a few things you could question about but it's a great film, You could also argue it's over long but a story like this maybe needed the running time but like I said it's still great and should be on every film geeks list.
July 17, 2016
Beautiful story filled with emotion and is a true testament to the human spirit
July 17, 2016
Quite simply...brilliant. Direction, acting performance, writing, score...the definition of a classic...EVERYTHING is right.
July 16, 2016
A top 5 movie of all time for me.
July 16, 2016
A must watch. This is one of those few movies that stops me down if I'm flipping through channels and I see it on. You can watch it over and over and you don't get bored.
July 15, 2016
Andy Dufresne is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for the murders of his wife and her lover. Only Andy knows he didn't commit the murders. While there, he forms a friendship with Red and experiences brutality of prison life over his 19 years in prison. The Shawshank Redemption has terrific performances, and riveting conversations between characters. The ending is so satisfying and will leave you smiling.
July 12, 2016
A masterful crafted film that shows the strength of the human spirit.
July 10, 2016
160710: Wonderful film I watched while wasting away my lazy Sunday. I've always enjoyed this story. Morgan Freeman is amazing, his voice powerful. Brought a tear to my eye.
July 7, 2016
It's been ranked first on IMDB for years. Now I know why.
Outstanding in every way.
July 5, 2016
A solid and sensitive story told by an outstanding cast and great character development is always a win.
July 3, 2016
OK this is #1 of my all-time favorite movies and I watch it time and time again!!!
½ July 1, 2016
Deeply inspring and meaningful, unexpectedly dramatic, Morgan Freeman upholds the plot incredibly enhancing the life-lessons in the movie.
June 29, 2016
The performances giving are on point, and the story is both tense and relieving.
What was underrated at the time, has now made up for it in fame.
June 29, 2016
Quite possibly the best movie of all time.
June 29, 2016
Yes this was indeed quite a remarkable prison drama. It doesn't matter where you are in life, the only real thing that matters is if you choose to live or not to live. All the cast and the acting were well spot on while the narration from Freeman himself was enjoyable and straight-forward. It is certainly an adventure of it's own while almost all of it takes place at what seems to be one of the biggest penitentiaries out there. A good emotional drama overall.
June 28, 2016
Classic movie, watched it again.
½ June 28, 2016
??? ?????? ????? ????? ?????? ????! ??? ???? ?? ???? ?100 ?????? ????? ?? ??? ?
I first reviewed the crowd sends honor! Why the film was not included in the 100 best ever?
June 19, 2016
Based on Stephen Kings novella, this is definitely one of the better adaptions of his work.