The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

October 23, 2017
This is one of the best movies in history. Every character in this film is important to the plot in one way or another, this is still one of the most uplifting movies ever made, masterful performances from all the actors involved make this a must watch, the musical score matches the theme of this movie that one can find hope in the darkest of places and finally the ending was spectacular and I didn't see it coming.
October 22, 2017
The Shawshank Redemption: Honest, Heartfelt, emotional, uplifting, thought provoking and deeply satasfying. The Shawshank Redemption stands as the pinnacal of hollywood storytelling and a true masterpeice in cinema.
½ October 21, 2017
The Shawshank Redemption is a quiet but powerful exercise in the effects of decades of incarceration. It's willingness to trudge into the depths of depravity and heights of inspiration with strikingly normalcy continue to pay their dues and then some through the years. A time-test masterpiece.
October 17, 2017
One of the best movies of all time, story is so complex and keeps you interested from beginning to end, one of few movies that really makes you hate the villain and the twist is phenomenal, excellent realistic movie
October 16, 2017
Film at it's best. The Shawshank Redemption is one of the greatest films of all time.

Score: 10/10
October 16, 2017
Its being overrated is comprehensible considering how moving 'The Shawshank Redemption' truly is. It's a life-lasting overwhelming encounter of innocent and guilty, new and old men in the Shawshank prison which expresses a profound humanity. It is a movie which has extraordinary things to say and which says them to a wide audience, which - regardless different sensibilities -is emotionally unrivalled. 'The Shawshank Redemption' did not thrill me for its cinema, but for the beauty of a story invented by Stephen King and characters portrayed by great actors.
October 13, 2017
Such a nice movie master piece all time
October 10, 2017
Best movie I've ever seen.
October 8, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie that I should have seen years ago but never did so nothing was that spectacular to me because tv show s and movies copied the major points in this movie but seeing how these great moments came to be is great, I'll remember this movie for the rest of my life, I don't think that this movie is the best of all of as some people say but it's up there.
½ October 4, 2017
The Shawshank Redemption
"Having Hope Behind Bars"

I would probably be the 200th review writer for the movie Shawshank Redemption (SR). Why would I spend my time writing about something that has been discussed so widely? It's because SR is one of those few movies which has greatly warmed my heart. Seeing the value of friendship, hope and courage, it has put forward bring out so many emotions from me.

Andy (Robbins) is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for the murder of his wife. However only Andy know he didn't commit the crime. He is an outcast among the untaught and scary vandals inside the prison population, he's a closed book and only interacts with Red (Freeman) to get him a tiny hammer for his rock collection. Andy does not crack inside instead he holds on the hope of the truth coming out which allows him to prevail behind bars. As the plot unravels, the two protagonists begin their unlikely friendship in the prison with each one encouraging the other to keep their sanity in the midst of top class criminals.

A great performance comes from an actor who gets under the skin of the character, and both Freeman and Robbins have done this really well.

Everyone I know has been encouraging me to watch this blockbuster, but at first I didn't the initiative as the genre as the genre doesn't appeal to my taste. However, when I watched it after much procrastination, I really enjoyed it, and I am pleased to say that It was worth the 142 minutes of my time. This movie has a priceless message which is not to give up when things get rough.

You better prepare a tissue box as it will make you cry.

Vanessa Tjandra -
October 2, 2017
I watched this movie knowing it was and is considered the greatest movie of all time. I didnt know anything going in. What i got up to was truly the greatest movie of all time which after first watch became my favorite movie. Being one of if not the best written, directed, acted and filmed movie of all time. I couldnt help but smile throughout the whole movie. In the beginning you think you know exactly what will happen. But then the movie goes in so many different direction. leaving unsure. It doesn't shock you in any way but you did expect it but you do not know what happens. You expect it enough for it to not be shocking. But you are unsure enough for it to hit you on an emotional level. Having been able to find flaws in many classics. This is the only movie where i feel like it is 100% perfect. Nothing feels off. There is no flaw that i can find at all. And even if you nitpick then it can still easily be argued against. Everything in this movie is either perfect or better than perfect. Nothing in this movie could have been done better. being 100% perfect The Shawshank Redemption truly is the greatest movie of all time
September 29, 2017
Simply the greatest film ever created!
September 27, 2017
Truly one the best films ever made.
September 26, 2017
September 24, 2017
A Masterpiece of film, the greatest film ever made, Frank Darabont brought us the greatest Stephen King adaptation with great acting by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, a fantastic musical score by Thomas Newman, and great movie villain with Warden Norton; this film had everything, It will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I have no negatives with this movie and I tried to look for some and I couldn't really find any. This will be a classic film for ages and my personal best movie of all time; you have to see this movie before you die.
September 24, 2017
Some movies just stay good, no matter how many times you watch it.
½ September 23, 2017
The Shawshank Redemption is a truly spectacular movie based off of the book by Stephen King! The movie gives phenomenal performances and is well directed. It's a very uplifting movie about two people in a prison over many years and it's one of the best movies of it's year!
September 18, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time. Amazing story and performances!!!!
September 16, 2017
My 2nd favorite film of all time.
September 16, 2017
Shawshank delivers heartfelt performances and top notch storytelling for a truly mesmerizing experience that grips you till the very end.
(Favorite Moment)- Brooks' parole