The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

September 18, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time. Amazing story and performances!!!!
September 16, 2017
My 2nd favorite film of all time.
September 16, 2017
Shawshank delivers heartfelt performances and top notch storytelling for a truly mesmerizing experience that grips you till the very end.
(Favorite Moment)- Brooks' parole
½ September 14, 2017
It's not a personal favorite for me.

It's very Stephen King, very Frank Darabont.

And if you love those guys, you don't understand.

If you don't so much love those guys, I think you feel me.

The movie has a huge following because it's

*Optimistic
*Has a warm and soothing very linear narrative
*About men bonding and finding inner peace
*Doesn't really challenge the audience in terms of realism or complicated morals and ethics (good and evil are very simple lessons)
*Is filmed beautifully with a wonderful score (that's Darabont)
*Has a pretty good moral of the story: Work with society as much as you can to be a positive influence...if you're not appreciated, move on and don't look back.
*Had a great cast.

I think where it truly succeeded, and where The Green Mile failed, is that Shawshank tempered the emotional manipulation and the fantastic "miracles" of Stephen King's story, and focused more on the suffering of human beings for most of the movie, with a happy conclusion for the main characters.
The Green Mile got cocky and wanted way too much emotional catharsis from us, without earning it. The pathos it built was strange and uncomfortable. The characters were so over the top Evil and Good it wasn't nearly as affecting.
September 13, 2017
One of the all time greatest movies ever made. A story of justice and redemption. Top notch acting.
½ September 12, 2017
Ah, the working man's or non film buff's "best film of all time" as I know from experience. It is certainly effective and knows when to push the right buttons but it is far from being the greatest film ever made! A gritty first half is followed by a slightly twee second half. Notwithstanding that though it is overall a solid, effective movie.
September 11, 2017
Instant classic! Not a movie I can watch over and over again but damn was it good! A lot of great lines and amazing performances from the entire cast. Loved it.
September 10, 2017
Has to be one of the best redemption stories ever told!
September 10, 2017
One of the best films ever made, proof that hope will always triumph. Tim Robbin's and Morgan Freeman shine as there respected roles, and truly believe this film will go down in history as one of the greatest movies ever made
September 9, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Una obra maestra, esperanzadora y humana. The Shawshank Redemption es un film esencial para todo amante del cine.
September 9, 2017
Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Andy Dufresne: [to Red] I guess it comes down a simple choice: Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.
September 8, 2017
One of the greatest films ever to be made, completely unpredictable, shockingly revolutionary, and brilliantly crafted on all angles. Robbins and Freeman are the perfect duo for the story, and I am sure Stephen King is overly pleased with the creation. I know I was, and to this day, I still am. It will forever be in the top five of my favorite movies, and it may be number one, even after all these years.
September 7, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made. Every performance is great, the characters are interesting, compelling and likeable. You understand all the characters actions through the story. A very powerful, amazing film.
September 4, 2017
Need to see the whole thing, but from what I saw it was incredible.
September 2, 2017
Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman give outstanding performances in this movie. Strong substance material and a powerful story make "The Shawshank Redemption" very memorable. Frank Darabont's masterful storytelling guides the viewer through the life's of men in prison. At over 2 hours, the movie may seem slow-paced, and it is for good reason. The film spans a massive period of time; the buildup towards the end is crucial, truly enhancing the impact of the movie. All in all, this may be the most powerful film I've ever seen and movies rarely get more commendable than that.
August 25, 2017
One of the greatest movies of all time. A perfect storyline, quotable script, superb acting performances, and an under-appreciated score by Thomas Newman well-rounds this film into the ultimate redemption tale.
½ August 21, 2017
The historical background of this movie, the amazing performances by Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, the beautiful and powerful plot line by Stephan King make this movie one of the more underrated of its time. Amazing, just amazing. Definitely a must see.
August 19, 2017
This is one of those perfect films. There's nothing wrong with it. Literally from the moment it starts to the end i am hooked. By the end of the film i'm smiling so widely that i have to applaud every single time.
August 18, 2017
1925 Was 69 Years Old In 1994.
August 18, 2017
The Shawshank Redemption has an well-constructed narrative based in a realistic prision-life perception. The credibility is accented by its well-chosed cast and the story is touching sometimes but othertimes awakes boredom in the spectator.