The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shawshank Redemption Reviews

April 24, 2017
There are only two films in my registry that have earned a perfect 10 out of 10 rating: Citizen Kane and The Shawshank Redemption.

Citizen Kane earns it for re-writing the rules of filmmaking, doing so in daring and extraordinary fashion.

The Shawshank Redemption earns it for perfecting those re-written rules. Every facet of movie making--from the script to the acting to the directing to the cinematography to the editing to the score--are done to the highest degree of precision and expression.

As a result, viewers experience the full spectrum of human emotions over the course of the movie. When asked, "What is it that people love so much about movies?" My answer is always the same: because they make us FEEL. Happiness, sadness, terror, love ... whatever the emotion, it's the act of feeling that creates that indelible bond between the person and the picture.
April 23, 2017
One of the greatest feature films ever made!
½ April 23, 2017
Heart-warming and rewatchable, with great performances in front and behind the camera.
April 21, 2017
one of the best movie i have ever watched in my entire lifetime
April 20, 2017
One of the best movies ever
April 18, 2017
Where do I even begin with how good this movie was?
The Shawshank Redemption stars Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. It is about a man who was falsely accused of murdering someone, so he is sent to prison and the story revolves around his friendship with other people in prison. This piece of art is a masterpiece. It is one of the best Stephen King adaptations of all time. The movie displays the intensity of prison violence in a realistic way. Morgan Freeman's character is the character with the best dialogue and is the most likable character in the story. The Shawshank Redemption hit all of the right notes as far as being a drama. The acting was top notch, the screenplay was gold, the cinematography couldn't have been any better, and everything else was ahead of its time.
Over all, The Shawshank Redemption has been voted into the top 10 greatest movies of all time by several different people. I don't blame'em.
April 16, 2017
Una de las mejores películas que he visto.
April 15, 2017
This really is one of the best movies ever made. That's all I have to say.
April 13, 2017
Answer to the question: What movie should've won best picture for 1994?
April 8, 2017
Just the best movie ever made.
April 6, 2017
Yes I do like this movie however a lot of it was stolen from "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood. Plus I'd already read the book so I knew the story. But its a good movie so if you haven't seen it you should.
April 5, 2017
Great awesome movie!
April 1, 2017
There's a reason it's considered one of the greatest films ever made. It's truly beautiful, from the powerful emotional punches to the wonderfully sincere performances from Robbins and Freeman.
March 30, 2017
The greatest movie of all-time. Hands down.
March 30, 2017
The best screenplay I've ever seen.
March 29, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 5 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 5 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 4 | Scenic Design 4 | Lighting 4 | Visual Effects n/a

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 10
March 26, 2017
Absolutely one of my favorites. Shawshank Redemption is a wonderful, uplifting story with a moving concept. It's so harsh, so difficult to watch, and so dramatic that you want yourself out of Shawshank Prison. My surprise is, nominated for 7 Oscars, and no wins! Nominees: Best Picture, Best Actor(Morgan Freeman), Best Writing/Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Film-Editing, and Best Music, Original Score(Thomas Newman). Newman has done Oscar winning soundtracks, but this movie is at the top of the league! What could possibly be better than this movie in those nominees?! Whatever. Shawshank describes Jacob Singer now convicted for murder 50 years before his torture. Singer is actually Andy Dufresne, who is wrongly convicted (what a coincidence!) of murder, and sent to innocent Shawshank Prison. Apparently, everyone is innocent at Shawshank so no one causes real trouble, unless your that dude that is a bully, who has like 4 lines. Tim Robbins(andy) has 1,000 times that amount! With so much sadness, and tears falling down my cheek, I think Shawshank is my favorite so far. Compare this movie to other crime movies, but keep out To Kill A Mockingbird, and My Cousin Vinny. This movie rocks, just not as much as Room on the Broom and Heidi Ewing's Documentary. I love this movie, it's on hope, and believing, and committing suicide when you have no clue what to do next. Rated R.
March 25, 2017
Amazing visuals, acting, and all out plot. This movie will suck you in from the one minute mark.
March 25, 2017
This film is about friendship, hope and the human spirit their is no aspect of this film i don't love one of my favorites
½ March 22, 2017
Loved this movie, I had it hyped up for me, and it met my expectations.