The Shining Hour Reviews

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jan 17, 2014

Good drama with a gem of a performance from the great Margaret Sullavan. Everyone else is good but she is exceptional.

• Jan 16, 2014

joan finds herself caught up in a doomed romance

joan finds herself caught up in a doomed romance

• May 07, 2013

Only if I liked you a little lesser or loved you a little more... A New York City nightclub dancer marries a charming man with lots of money. She moves out to the country with her new husband and into his large estate. The estate is also where her sister in-laws live, one sister is married and one sister is miserable and single. The miserable sister makes life practically impossible for the night club dancer who is also being strongly pursued by a lovesick younger man. Will the rich family drive her insane and into the arms of the young lover? "He put a frog in my hair, poured ink on my dress; so naturally, I fell in love with him." Frank Borzage, director of A Farewell to Arms, 7th Heaven, Stage Door Canteen, Three Comrades, China Doll, Strange Cargo, Street Angel, and The Gun Woman, delivers The Shining Hour. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and honestly pretty predictable. The acting is remarkable and the cast includes Joan Crawford, Robert Young, Margaret Sullavan, Melvyn Douglas, Hattie McDaniel, and Frank Albertson. "After the first time things are never as lovely again." I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because I enjoy watching Joan Crawford flicks. Overall, this was a fun film to watch but is fairly straightforward with little misdirection or intriguing subplots. This is a film I'd probably skip unless you're a Joan Craford fan and I definitely wouldn't add it to my DVD collection. "Stop fighting and let it burn." Grade: B-

• Aug 20, 2010

The Shining Hour is a great film. Joan Crawford and Margaret Sullivan worked well together. The supporting cast is great too and includes Robert Young and Melvyn Douglas. The screenplay is well written. Frank Borzage does an incredible job directing this movie. The Shining Hour is a must see.

• Jun 25, 2010

Nightclub dancer Joan marries gentleman farmer Melvyn Douglas, and moves with him to Wisconsin. Robert Young, Melvyn's brother, thinks he wants Joan, too. His poor wife, Margaret Sullavan, quietly suffers. Melvyn and Robert's controlling sister, Fay Bainter, is catty. The ending is crazy. Joan's hairstyle makes her look older than her years. Hattie McDaniel is great as always, underused as always.

• May 25, 2010