Something New Reviews

• 5h ago

Funny, touching, romantic, gorgeous couple and great pacing. What else do you need to cozy up to a well acted movie? It's one of those movies you can watch over and over and see something new each time. Love it. P.S. Donald Faison's hilarious stint as the serial dating brother is perfect.

• Feb 15, 2020

Exactly what I want white man and all

Exactly what I want white man and all

• Feb 15, 2020

Timeless, hilarious, and who can resist an hour and a half with Sanaa Lathan & Simon Baker?! Brilliantly directed and superbly cast.

• Sep 09, 2018

So good! Love Simon!

So good! Love Simon!

• Aug 18, 2018

One of my very favorite rom coms. It doesnt hurt that Simon Baker is in the lead romantic role - he does a perfect job and comes across very natural and expressive. But, its smart and clever too. Should appeal to both white and black (and other) audiences. Yes, it still has its rom com cheese moments, but overall its an excellent example of the genre.

• May 15, 2018

One of my top movies ever, a very sensational, overwhelming and inter-racial love story that conquered everything

• Feb 08, 2018

Heartwarming romance....enjoyed it.

Heartwarming romance....enjoyed it.

• Jul 28, 2017

I adore this movie! It's one of my absolute favorites love stories. The movie proves that love, pure and unconditional love has no barriers or boundaries and if you're lucky enough to find it, you must go for it. I love the scene at the cotillion when Kenya has her outburst and has to admit that she is in fact in love with Brian, although he wasn't what she thought she would end up with or should be with, she was in love with him. My favorite line is from her father, when Kenya is in the bathroom and he tells her, "Love is an adventure, Kenya. It's not a decision you make for others. It's a decision you make from your heart." Then he goes on today, "Folks carry on like we're some kind of pure race that shouldn't be diluted. But look at us, all of us in this country, black, white, brown, yellow, we're all mixed up. Mutts, all of us; nothing pure about us." Perfect love story.

• Oct 12, 2016

It's charming and more than it has to be.

It's charming and more than it has to be.

• Jan 12, 2016

Netflix recently added Something New. It has some sexy makeout scenes between two beautiful people and a happy ending, making it a chick flick romance. The potentially tough subject of interracial dating, with cultural differences, is bravely taken on here by director Sanaa Hamri. While there are often subcultures in any racial group, I really haven't seen much of the kind of black subculture portrayed in this. Simon Baker's character Brian Kelly is not the rich and dominant type. Instead, he's like his waggy-tailed dog: almost too good-natured and tolerant. A lover, not a fighter. He puts up with quite a bit from his love interest Kenya McQueen, played by Sanaa Lathan. Interestingly, the director's first name is also Sanaa. What are the odds? While Brian is driving to Kenya's to look at her backyard for a possible landscaping project, he is listening to something ethnic, presumably North African or Middle Eastern music, loudly. Perhaps the director loves that stuff, but...it seems like an oops that a white American man would be listening to it like that, but who knows? Kenya is a picky and prickly woman, but apparently Brian likes this type, because he's patient, persistent, and going out of his way to give it every chance to happen, in spite of her obvious reluctance and prejudice against dating white men. She finds herself falling for Brian, in spite of her hopes to find the perfect black man. Clearly, in this one, the black girl is the one with racial prejudice, while the white guy is a very tolerant open-minded racially open type of guy. He even prefers her naturally curly hair over the long straight weave. The optimistic Brian helps bring some color and beauty into Kenya's drab and controlled life. Kenya realizes she just can't do this interracial dating thing; it's complicated. She cuts Brian loose just as her dream man, Mark Harper played by Blair Underwood, shows up. Dating Brian helped her learn more about herself and what she really wants, and she is starting to see things differently. It's fun to see Simon Baker take on a challenging role like this and make it look surprisingly easy. I give Sanaa Lathan credit too; it takes some guts to do a role like this.