State of the Union Reviews

• Nov 17, 2019

especially during this time in our nation's history everyone should watch this movie and listen very very carefully. It draws quite a few parallels to what is actually happening here in the u.s. today. It gives us a clear indication of the paths we should all, as Americans, be seeking today.

• May 05, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Sep 13, 2017

State of the Union is an excellent film. It is about an industrialist is urged to run for President. Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, and Angela Lansbury give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Frank Capra did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of humor and drama. State of the Union is a must see.

• Jan 19, 2016

GOP and Dem Debates? Done! This State of the Union is more fun. Hepburn, Tracy, Lansbury, Van Johnson, and Adolphe Menjou directed by Frank Capra.

• Nov 26, 2015

not the best hepburn/tracy pairing but not the worse either

not the best hepburn/tracy pairing but not the worse either

• Oct 15, 2015

One that should be more popular. A gradual build up to a fantastic climax. Inspirational.

• Aug 31, 2014

Power, or the pursuit of it, may corrupt, but love wins out

Power, or the pursuit of it, may corrupt, but love wins out

• Apr 20, 2013

A personal favorite. Directed by Frank ("It's A Wonderful Life") Capra & starring the Tracy/Hepburn team along with a very young Angela Lansbury. If you get the chance, watch this movie which was made 65 years ago and compare Grant Matthews' speeches to the ones you heard during the 2012 Presidential campaigns..

• Nov 15, 2012

Approaching melodrama while still maintaining screwball comedy moments and a political undertone, State of the Union is proof that Frank Capra is indeed a versatile director

• Oct 25, 2012

If this movie taught me it's that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Politics haven't changed. But still, this was an entertaining movie and must have been insanely controversial at the time. Today, it's like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington meets The Ides of March.