Sun Valley Serenade Reviews

• May 08, 2019

The best musical movie evr made! With the best movie song ever sung: Chattanooga Choo Choo!

• Jun 17, 2018

A pretty silly vehicle to showcase a) Sonja Heinie, B) The Glenn Miller Band and C) The Sun Valley ski resort (!!) Heinie is an orphan (!!) from Norway who gets placed in the care of John Payne. Heinie has the hots for him, while Payne doesn't think this is quite right (really??) The whole thing really does wind up at Sun Valley, and there's an ice skating finale. Oh, and Miltion Berle too! A bit of a fascinating carwreck, really.

• Apr 26, 2015

Extremely enjoyable Sonja Henie musical (one of her best) is helped immensely by a great score, played by Glenn Miller & His Orchestra: the title song, "At Last," "I Know Why," and the Oscar-nominated "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Dec 26, 2013

Completely worth seeking out for Glenn Miller's music alone but add in a saucy Dorothy Dandridge specialty number and the ice skating finale and this is can't miss entertainment. The plot is middling but that's not what you watching for anyway.

• Nov 26, 2011

Lovable three-time Olympic champion Sonja Henie plays an orphan refugee from Norway who steals John Payne from Lynn Bari. I pity I can't un-watch the movie to watch it as if I never saw it before, the breathtaking Glenn Miller band with their best all-time hits (Moonlight Serenade, It Happened in Sun Valley, In the Mood, Chattanooga Choo Choo), the Nicholas Brothers step dance, skating sequence and the simple, but positive story.

• Feb 06, 2010

I started out looking for this movie when I first fell in love with the theme that was the title song "It happened in Sun Valley". Eventually I found a combination audio CD that had both "It happened in Sun Valley" and "Orchestra Wives". The CD was entertaining for a while until one day I caught part of the movie on television and had to have a copy of it. Well, now I have the DVD, and it was well worth the effort. I am very much a fan of the sweet ballads of the late 30's and early 40's, and it's a pleasure to see Glenn Miller's band perform "Moonlight Serenade" and then hearing those smooth vocals by Lynn Bari. I heard a minor garble ( for about 1/2 second ) on the audio during one speaking scene, but no problems with the music. At 62, I'm a romantic and sentimental old guy, and it was a treat to see the sleigh ride sequences, the playful downhill skiing scenes, and just generally live in that imaginary world of my childhood while I enjoyed the romance.

• Oct 18, 2009

Very likely Sonja Henie's best film, it has her best skating sequences on film. Great cast, the Nicholas Brothers are terrific. Well made and very enjoyable. Good and light fun.

• Jan 15, 2009

This little known musical contains one of the best Big Band music videos ever put on film..... "Chattanooga ChoCho. Creative camera angles and lighting for the time period. The Glenn Miller Orchestra with Tex Beneke, Paula Kelly and The Modernaires. Wow! Don't forget the Dorothy Dandridge dance number with the remarkable Nicholas Brothers. Of course, Sonja Henie is cute, as always. As I've noted before, I am a big soft touch for musicals. This is a winner! I think I'll put the soundtrack album on to listen tonight.

• Mar 27, 2008

GLENN MILLER IS AMAZING in this film. And Sonja Henie is always graceful and beautiful on the ice.

• Feb 25, 2008

I wish they still made movies like this. It's sweet, innocent, tremendously funny, and the talent!!! Oh the talent in this movie is bursting from the seems. Sonja Henie, a beautiful ice-skater, Glenn Miller's band!!!, and Milton Berle is hilarious!! see it and you won't be disappointed!